Sven Pathfinder Light - Custom Stainless Build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Delorre

by Delorre

Your bike is a thing of beauty!! 8) But I fail to understand how an high end stainless steel frame + carbon fork + HS + TA's can weight 3 kg. That would mean a +/- 2.3 kg frame :shock: Can't be right, especially as you still ride a 'normal' sized frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sub7kg

by sub7kg

Delorre wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 8:14 pm
Your bike is a thing of beauty!! 8) But I fail to understand how an high end stainless steel frame + carbon fork + HS + TA's can weight 3 kg. That would mean a +/- 2.3 kg frame :shock: Can't be right, especially as you still ride a 'normal' sized frame.

Are you saying the frame seems to weigh too much?

sub7kg

by sub7kg

bilwit wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:57 pm
love the chrome look

the RD cable routing seems like very odd design choice though
The RD cable routing was highlighted in a review as well. I'd guess it's guite hard to route it internally in a steel tube on either the chainstay or the back stay. It made it very easy to build and should be good weather protection, particularly off road.

bilwit

by bilwit

sub7kg wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 8:28 pm
bilwit wrote:
love the chrome look

The RD cable routing was highlighted in a review as well. I'd guess it's guite hard to route it internally in a steel tube on either the chainstay or the back stay. It made it very easy to build and should be good weather protection, particularly off road.
I would imagine they would just do what everyone else does which is have it exit near the BB and then guided externally under the chainstay, but as you alluded to, there would be exposed cable and it wouldn't be housed all the way like it is now.

But isn't the rear brake caliper cable routed internally too? From what I can tell, the rear hydraulic cable exits the downtube which is housed all the way so it seems like they could have done the same on the otherside with the RD cable (albeit on the bottom rather than the top so that the chainring can clear).

(not nitpicking, just wondering what the design thought process was)

sub7kg

by sub7kg

bilwit wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:02 pm
sub7kg wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 8:28 pm
bilwit wrote:
love the chrome look

I would imagine they would just do what everyone else does which is have it exit near the BB and then guided externally under the chainstay, but as you alluded to, there would be exposed cable and it wouldn't be housed all the way like it is now.

But isn't the rear brake caliper cable routed internally too? From what I can tell, the rear hydraulic cable exits the downtube which is housed all the way so it seems like they could have done the same on the otherside with the RD cable (albeit on the bottom rather than the top so that the chainring can clear).

(not nitpicking, just wondering what the design thought process was)
I see what you mean. I've attached photos, maybe 2 holes in the downtube would affect the strength?
IMG_0826.jpg
IMG_0827.jpg
IMG_0828.jpg
IMG_0829.jpg