Focus Izalco Max ... 5.95kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

sawyer

by sawyer

Hi guys ... new build for 2018 here ... my first proper WW frameset, albeit built up with existing parts I had lying around.

- Focus Izalco Max Frame and Fork 54cm
- Campagnolo SR/Centaur/Record mix 10s/11s group ... SR 11 Ti crank and 11-21 Record 10s cassette keep the weight down
- Ritchey Streem WCS carbon bars (giving up a few grams to save watts here)
- Ritchey WCS One Bolt carbon seatpost
- Focus Concept CPX 110mm stem (now replaced with Ritchey)
- Fizik Arione Carbon rail saddle
- Lizard Skins DSP 2.5mm tape
- C-Bear PF30 Ceramic BB (I replaced the stock Token PF30 non-ceramic set-up, partly for ceramics, but mainly to avoid creaking, so far it's perfect)
- Ultimate Ceramic Bearings 11t pulleys
- Look Blade Ti pedals (Gen 1 ... prefer these over the Gen 2 creakers ...)
- FFWD F4R tubulars
- FFWD QRs
- Challenge Crono tubulars (I don't much like tan sidewalls, but these are nice tyres ... comfortable for 22s certainly)

As pictured it's actually just under 6.1kg, but with the changes I've made recently including a new Ritchey WCS 220 stem, and Bora 35 tubulars, it brings it down to 5.95kg with pedals and single cage, but no computer.

Other than a bit of steerer cutting, I'm not planning many more changes. To get big weight savings from here I'd need to go proper WW on the wheelset, or get some boutique parts, or switch to Red 11 mechanical. It has the potential with those three to start troubling the 5kg mark. Maybe one day, but not for a while.

The Izalco Max is a really nice frame. Focus maybe haven't been as successful at distribution (including marketing) as some of their competitors ... though this frame is up there and is one of the least expensive pro level frames. It deserves to be more widely ridden. It's the most comfortable carbon frame I've owned, or ridden for that matter, and has an eager responsiveness about it - never feeling like dead wood. It's also the best climbing bike I've been on (no surprises there as it's the lightest).

The downsides? Not many, certainly it doesn't feel as fast as an all out aero bike, instead feeling more agile and "chuckable", but ultimately not as good for thundering along at full gas, if that is your thing. Also, it has external cabling, supposedly to save weight. Doesn't look as nice as internal, but is functional. There's not a whole lot else I can find wrong with it tbh ... finish is good if not the best I suppose ... everywhere you look they obviously wanted to keep things light.

As a pure WW frameset with great riding characteristics for a relatively modest outlay, my impression so far is this is a real winner :beerchug:
Attachments
FOCUS.jpeg
FOCUS7.jpg
FOCUS5.jpg
FOCUS6.jpg
FOCUS4.jpg
FOCUS3.jpg
FOCUS10.jpg
FOCUS9.jpeg
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Its a nice looking bike (although personally Im over the whole black thing, just see SOOO many of them here!) but great weight/cost without losing (much) functionality.
Canyons have become SO popular I think Focus and Rose are perhaps forgotten a bit.

sawyer

by sawyer

Thanks leviathan

I do agree on black. And on aesthetics would always choose paint. BUT this is a strict WW project to get below 6kg and this frame is 710g so it works on that basis at least

RyanH

by RyanH

How's the braking on the ffwd wheels? General impressions?

reedplayer

by reedplayer

nice bike, i mostly prefer black/white bikes over coloured ones, its just timeless. i generally like the reduction to the essential, concerning the max-frameset, not the slightest embellishment.

i have exactly the same frameset (52) and brought the build easily down to 5,89 kg incl. pedals. except ciamillo breakset, i used only solid standard parts, incl. p2max powermeter!

i can recommend the change to sram red mech.!

arent those crono tubulars very sensitive for flats?

yes, marketing of "Focus"-bikes is more or less non existent. but nevertheless in real life, quite a lot of my mates, most very ambitious, are riding this frame, i see more of those than super six evos, for example. ok, its not very popular on bords like this, but, i think that does not mean anything.

price for frameset here in germany is like super six evo himod or scott addict sl hmx.

sawyer

by sawyer

RyanH wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:51 am
How's the braking on the ffwd wheels? General impressions?
Hi - these are older 38mm F4Rs, with FFWD hubs. I've had them quite a while - sometimes FFWD hoops come up heavily discounted, as these were. They were bought as back-ups, but exceeded expectations and saw some front line action

I rate them. They are now kept in a holiday home, with front line duties being managed by a range of Campag/Fulcrum wheels, but tbh the FFWDs don't give much away. Spin very well (spin up well! :lol: ) and roll along comfortably. They are stiff - similar to Boras - and the braking is decent. A touch noisier under hard braking than Bora/Shimano tubs tbh. They are a bit narrow by today's standards, but have a nice smoothly curved rim profile. Finish is very good - up there with Boras. As regards durability, I commuted on these for two years most days in London (10k km+) and they have never needed trueing (76kg) ... so all in all they are really nice wheels if you can get a deal.
Last edited by sawyer on Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

sawyer

by sawyer

reedplayer wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:15 am

arent those crono tubulars very sensitive for flats?

They might be, though this set are only used on really smooth, clean roads for a few weeks a year, so no flats as yet. Probably 1500km or so on them. Also have a set of the top end Seta Silk tubs that will go on when the Cronos die. Cronos are really superb in the dry - fast and comfortable with just a faint hum as you blast along. Not great in the wet though - nowhere near Conti levels of grip.

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

Great build
I like the blue highlights...similar to my disc brake version...but lighter, much lighter
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

reedplayer

by reedplayer

@saxyer: thanks for info. sounds very similar as i would describe my veloflex master.

sawyer

by sawyer

Squashednuts wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:43 am
Great build
I like the blue highlights...similar to my disc brake version...but lighter, much lighter
Thanks Squashednuts (is that from school days btw?) ... your disc version is really nice. Focus nailed the disc version of this bike.

I really like the blue highlights also. TBH it's a bit boring vs the AG2R white/blue "colorway", but WTF, it's lighter :beerchug:

Pics with Boras to follow

sawyer

by sawyer

reedplayer wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:55 am
@saxyer: thanks for info. sounds very similar as i would describe my veloflex master.
Yes, of the other tubs I've ridden over the years, I would say the Cronos are most like Veloflex Carbons (not ridden masters)

sawyer

by sawyer

With Fulcrum Quattros and Ritchey WCS 220 stem
Attachments
FOCUS11.jpg

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

sawyer wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:57 am

Thanks Squashednuts (is that from school days btw?)
😁
no...nuts were all good then...honest

I didn't think "enlarged prostate related to sitting on the saddle for hours" was a catchy or funny name...but maybe true
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

sawyer

by sawyer

sawyer wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:48 pm

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

Hello, great build but it will be nicer without the half brand name on the seatpost. I did it on my Ritchey, very easy with some 800-1000 grit paper.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com