Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

mdeth1313 wrote:
Calnago wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:57 am
Nice, but you need a final all-in weight, total bike as ridden on the scale. That will tell you if you’ve forgotten anything in your list or not. Glad to hear you’re back on the road and the shoulder is recovering nicely.
Eh, when I look at some of the bikes posted with no saddle bag, no pump, no spare tube, no computer, tools, etc, I call BS. My last bike I didn't include the weight of the saddle bag/tailight either and I thought that one was getting closer to 13 lbs.
Ha, no, I’m with ya... I just meant all built up, hanging from the scale, as opposed to a list tally. As light as you want to make it but it’s gotta include pedals for example, no light, bags, pump, computer, etc. just like UCI would weigh it... “as ridden”, which would include stuff like waterbottle cages, computer mount (no computer), etc. it’s just sort of that final number. For interest only. I’ve never weighed anything before joining WW, but it was obviously a “must do” I discovered if you wanted to present a build thread.
How do you find it to ride? Have you done the “wiggle test”? Someone in another thread used that term and I really liked it because it’s exactly what I do when I get on a different bike as well. Just gives a quick indication of how solid things are up front.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aqualelaki

by aqualelaki

Yes,

aqualelaki

by aqualelaki

Yes, please do wiggle test. I do have Zero 7, I like to climb with that bike but when it comes to long descent that's another story

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Have to find my hanging scale. That might happen in the next week or two.

The wiggle test - keep in mind I have one ride of slightly less than 32 miles. I probably won't get another ride in until Friday, but I purposely did one short hill w/ a quick twisty descent on the other side. Coming from the Neilpryde Bura SL I find this to be far less twitch. Not as stiff, but not a noodle. I still felt all the bumps. The slight differences in geometry also made it a bit more comfortable and I felt much more comfortable and in control in the drops on this bike than I did on the NP.

I'll know more this weekend. Overall, I like it.
Speedplay is the devil!

tabl10s

by tabl10s

mdeth1313 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:25 am
For the past 5 years I've been riding a Neilpryde Bura SL. That ended on April 4, when a tree branch took me out - into the front wheel, snapped the fork and destroyed the down tube (and separated my shoulder). I was starting to look for a new frame before that, this just sped up the timeline. I'm hoping to have it built up this weekend, when I have more than an hour at a clip to spend on it.

Just a couple of quick clips - looks like frame weight is under 700 g, fork is 322 g uncut (both lighter than my NP). Had some concerns about the frame's weight limit but after doing some research and reaching out to a good amount of people (and getting a great price), I decided to go for it.

More to come...
Lucky guy as I'm too heavy to own one. I'm surprised GCN, Bike Radar, etc, haven't reported on it.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I need to update my build list. Now I have a few good rides in - some commutes to work (the hilly stuff) and a 71 mile ride.

I switched from the heavy seatpost clamp from Wilier to a woodman clamp and I'm waiting for my raceware out in front mount for the garmin.

After a couple of rides I had to switch from the darimo post back to my mcfk setback post as the shorter ETT on the zero.6 required the saddle to be further back than I could get it w/ a zero setback post. Oh well. Eventually I'll get to use that post.

As for the ride. I'm really enjoying it. The handling is completely different when compared to the neilpryde I had before. Smoother (less twitchy), but I've had to adjust my line a few times going into turns/corners because I was coming in too tight. Kind of difficult to explain, it's not twitchy at all, but reacts very quickly to whatever I want it to do.

Climbing has been easier, of course the entire setup is lighter than my previous build, but not by much. Even coming off my injury and not having much form, once I settled in and found a sustainable pace I wasn't struggling. What I'm really enjoying are the downhills. I'm comfortable on the hoods and in the drops, on the NP staying in the drops could get uncomfortable on longer descents.

What disappointed me about the frame were the details - the seatpost clamp was about 24 g. For the cost of this frame, they could do much better - maybe a ti bolt? The dustcap for the headset was a pig as well, I had an FSA cover that was much lighter. Granted, I didn't pay retail, but for what they charge, do it right. Don't get me started on the expander plug either.

A student at the HS where I teach is 3d printing some plugs for the derailleur cable slots, can't wait to try those out.
Speedplay is the devil!

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Nice.

B_mmer about the Darimo.

I'd be interested in taking off your hands if you want to sell for the right price?

Cheers
GJ

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I don't think I'm giving it up. This way I'm set if I ever need one again and I wouldn't let it go for much less than I paid if I was.
Speedplay is the devil!

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Fair call, thanks for replying.

:beerchug:

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

One WW update - I asked the engineering class at my high school if they could use their 3d printer to make plugs for the derailleur cable slots (since I'm using etap). They came up with these - only saves 3 g, but it cost me nothing and turned out to be a useful contribution to their class. Only thing I had to do was drill out the countersunk hole a bit more so the screw would sit properly.

I also like the color, it adds a little something to the all black frame.
Attachments
3d.jpg
Speedplay is the devil!

coresare

by coresare

mdeth1313 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 12:22 pm
One WW update - I asked the engineering class at my high school if they could use their 3d printer to make plugs for the derailleur cable slots (since I'm using etap). They came up with these - only saves 3 g, but it cost me nothing and turned out to be a useful contribution to their class. Only thing I had to do was drill out the countersunk hole a bit more so the screw would sit properly.

I also like the color, it adds a little something to the all black frame.
Can you ask them to make it a hair bigger so you can just pressure push it into place and save some weight off not using the screw.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

It's a tight fit, I could probably leave them without the screw. They gave me 4 pieces, I can switch to the other 2. I also considered cutting off the other side of the arch (underside) which would probably equal out the weight of the screw.
Speedplay is the devil!

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

So, 6 weeks of riding and the frame cracked on the driveside chainstay. The good news is it took about 11 days (weekend included) and I had a new frameset (not just a replacement frame). After some deliberating and contacting Wilier (USA), I'm gonna give the replacement a go and see how it holds up. In the meantime I have to start a new thread, I picked up a Neilpryde Alize (2014) on ebay (cheap, really cheap) and built that up and I've been loving it.
Speedplay is the devil!