Old school ALU XC frankenbuild 26er

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Heavyhitter

by Heavyhitter

First thing first, the story behind this build is quite cool. This Devinci Desperado SL was my first proper semi lightweight bike that I bought. This is a 2008 MY. It was Collecting dust for a few years in the basement. Last week I remembered how nice it was to ride the local trail in a set and forget bike, all the memories finding with my wife.So a set a goal to modernize this beast of the past. I want it to be under 24 pounds, but there's a catch, the budget must be really low , in the neighborhood of 500$ CAD.

This mod was to make it a 1x10, initially it was 3X9. I searched the forums/internet to get a 30T ring/ XT 10 speeds derailleur/sunrace 11-42 cassette/10 speed deore shifter (budget obliged). That was accomplished for around 300 ish tax included.

Both of the brakes where shut, one at the master cylinder and the other the caliper was seized. I replaced them with some spare parts that was lying around which consisted of a sram guide R and a Shimano deore.

The seatpost is insanely heavy, 279 grams.

I ordered a hylix which will be at least 110 grams lighter,45 $ cad

The original stem was FSA os 150. Really heavy , I switched for a FSA Energy , 107 grams. Better but the angle is not good. So I placed and order for Uno 80 MM -17. 40$CAD

I have to change the quick release as they are 138 grams, any idea?

Build list

Frame: Devinci desperado SL2
Fork:Marzocchi Corsa LT 100 mm with lock out
Stem:FSA energy 90mm
Headset:Cane Creek
Handlebar:Easton Monkey Xc EC90
Rear derailleur:Shimano XT 10 speed
Crankset: Raceface Ride XC triple converted to 1X with a black spire 30T
Chain: KMC 10 speed
Brakes: Front Sram guide R four piston/ rear Shimano deore
Rotors:Shimano XT 160/140
Seatpost:V2 carbon
Saddle: Chinese specialized Romin copy
BB : threaded XT
Wheels:Shimano M525/DT X455/DT Champion
Pedals: Shimano deore
Cassette:Sunrace 11-42 10 speed
Tires: Maxxis crossmark up front, Michelin WildGripR

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant TapatalkImage

Last edited by Heavyhitter on Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Heavyhitter

by Heavyhitter

Heavyhitter wrote:First thing first, the story behind this build is quite cool. This Devinci Desperado SL was my first proper semi lightweight bike that I bought. This is a 2008 MY. It was Collecting dust for a few years in the basement. Last week I remembered how nice it was to ride the local trail in a set and forget bike, all the memories finding with my wife.So a set a goal to modernize this beast of the past. I want it to be under 24 pounds, but there's a catch, the budget must be really low , in the neighborhood of 500$ CAD.

This mod was to make it a 1x10, initially it was 3X9. I searched the forums/internet to get a 30T ring/ XT 10 speeds derailleur/sunrace 11-42 cassette/10 speed deore shifter (budget obliged). That was accomplished for around 300 ish tax included.

Both of the brakes where shut, one at the master cylinder and the other the caliper was seized. I replaced them with some spare parts that was lying around which consisted of a sram guide R and a Shimano deore.

The seatpost is insanely heavy, 279 grams.

I ordered a hylix which will be at least 110 grams lighter,45 $ cad

The original stem was FSA os 150. Really heavy , I switched for a FSA Energy , 107 grams. Better but the angle is not good. So I placed and order for Uno 80 MM -17. 40$CAD

I have to change the quick release as they are 138 grams, any idea?

Build list

Frame: Devinci desperado SL2
Fork:Marzocchi Corsa LT 100 mm with lock out
Stem:FSA energy 90mm
Headset:Cane Creek
Handlebar:Easton Monkey Xc EC90
Rear derailleur:Shimano XT 10 speed
Crankset: Raceface Ride XC triple converted to 1X with a black spire 30T
Chain: KMC 10 speed
Brakes: Front Sram guide R four piston/ rear Shimano deore
Rotors:Shimano XT 160/140
Seatpost:V2 carbon
Saddle: Chinese specialized Romin copy
BB : threaded XT
Wheels:Shimano M525/DT X455/DT Champion
Pedals: Shimano deore
Cassette:Sunrace 11-42 10 speed
Tires: Maxxis crossmark up front, Michelin WildGripR

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant TapatalkImage

And it's big brother

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

If you have 115CAD of budget left, I'd look for lighter, second hand tires (Conti X/Race king RS), tubes (light butyl or even maybe latex), skewers (J&L Ti bolt ons are ~27g) and grips (Extralite, KCNC). Given some luck, you might drop a pound from these items. My previous relatively budget XC 26er was under 10kg without any really weenie or expensive parts, mostly XT/X0 level and eBay components.

Heavyhitter

by Heavyhitter

Yeah, skewers are in order, I'll defenitly look for the grip ans tires. Really would like to hit 24 pounds