Project-X...first time build... 7.8kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Lewn777

by Lewn777

I went the the SRAM route from Shimano 105. I replaced everything with SRAM force 11, most of which I picked up 2nd hand from s friend doing a Di2 conversion, saved loads of weight. I didn't feel the need to debadge anything or change the original chain rings. In terms of aesthetics I've always had the hots for the Cannondale cranks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

grahus

by grahus

@Lewn77...I too like the Cannondale cranks, but too pricy for this build. Looks like an automobile alloy wheel...

The de-badging is mostly so that I don't have too many different 'brands' all over the bike, I will be trying for a cleaner more 'anonymous' look.

After looking around at what is available, I think changing the cranks, chainrings & cassette to SRAM for starters will reduce weight by 200g's....is it correct that SRAM 'rings and cassette will work without issue on Shimano derailleurs?

When/if I was to change out the derailleurs for lighter, will i need to change the Shifters at the same time, I am guessing so?
Bikes:

Road: Project-X Pro Carbon (7.2kg) | Bianchi via Narone (bare metal project)
MTB: Canyon Spectral 6.0 Ex 27.5" | GT Zaskar 26" | Orange Clockwork 26" (Limited Edition green)

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

grahus wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:34 am
When/if I was to change out the derailleurs for lighter, will i need to change the Shifters at the same time, I am guessing so?
The 9000 FD/RD will save you 100g over 5800, I did exactly the same. You can keep ST-5800. There's a pair up for sale on "for sale board", but you'll need 30 posts to gain access to it.

grahus

by grahus

Marin wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:11 pm
Used hidden-bolt Red, still the lightest option available and unchanged for 3 generations of Red (10s/11s/Etap) - for good reasons.

Sand off the graphics if you need to
I found this comment on another thread, is hidden-bold Red just the standard SRAM Red cranks?, and can they be fitted with lighter chainrings if needed?

And the only reason I am asking about changing the 'rings is because I'm not that keen on the semi-solid look of a lot of crancksets and would change to more 'spider' rings if I can.
Bikes:

MTB: Canyon Spectral 6.0 Ex 27.5" | GT Zaskar 26" | Orange Clockwork 26" (Limited Edition green)

Marin

by Marin

It's the newer standard Red cranks. The older version is 100g heavier and doesn't have 1 chainring bolt hidden behind the crank arm.

Yes, I had a Cannondale MK V ring that was light and had an airy design. Stronglight, TA, Tune and Extralite make nice rings too. All standard rings will fit, but you'll have to move the chain catcher pin.

grahus

by grahus

Ok, great, as I see I can probably get SRAM Red crank (with or without rings) on eBay for decent money.
Bikes:

grahus

by grahus

Ok, so purchased a few parts of eBay and updated my weights. Weights will be verified when they arrive and I get a chance to fit them...

Attachments
Weight Reduction Apr 2018
Weight Reduction Apr 2018
Last edited by grahus on Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bikes:

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

That's a decent weight reduction.... :thumbup:

Should be easy to loose a little more without too much expense.

As @Nixster mentioned Kalloy uno stem with Ti bolts

Carbon handle bars, if you bide your time there are some good deals,
I like the shape of FSA bars...got a cheap one on local internet auction site 180g ish, $100NZ ish, can't remember
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

grahus

by grahus

Damn it....the bug is biting!

Decided to go for Rotor 3D30 cranks, I like the look of them and I can get slimmer chainrings to get look I want.

Also about to pick up a set of second hand DA 9000 Front & Rear derailleurs...

Might get 155g reduction out of all these...not very cost effective, oh well!
Bikes:

grahus

by grahus

Some component arrived, basic weights to start with...

FD will stay as is...

RD will get pimped up jockey wheels and maybe a fibrelite cage...

Seatpost will get cut slightly when I decide on height...

Saddle, nothing to do, and surprisingly not as painful as it looks...

Rotor crank, thought this would have been a bit lighter according to the spec (especially as my BB will increase in weight to fit it). I'll take the rings off and weigh everything separately...
Attachments
IMG_3345.JPG
IMG_3346.JPG
IMG_3347.JPG
IMG_3348.JPG
IMG_3349.JPG
IMG_3355.JPG
Bikes:

Rudi

by Rudi

c60rider wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:27 pm
Decent bike this for the money I bought one of the Planet X nanolight frames and this one looks similar to it so I guess it might have replaced the nanolight.
The Pro Carbon has been in the PX lineup for probably 10 years at least, just with differing paint jobs every few years or so. The Nanolight came and went from their lineup, as do quite a few other things that PX sell (like their lighweight brakes).

To the OP - Kalloy stem as mentioned previously. Hylix bars will be around 190/200g for £55 or so. And have you cut your seatpost down? I think they come as 400mm. Edit - sorry, just seen you've already mentioned that.
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Rudi wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 1:06 pm
Hylix bars will be around 190/200g for £55 or so
Mine are 183g stripped, paired with a Kalloy Uno it's a very good deal, the lightest 31.8mm stem/bar combos are only 50-60g lighter.

Rudi

by Rudi

@Klaster1 - what do you mean by "stripped"? The graphics wiped off or something else?
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Rudi wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:55 am
@Klaster1 - what do you mean by "stripped"? The graphics wiped off or something else?
Yeah, I sanded almost all paint from the bars because I didn't like bright red spots on a stealthy bike, dropping a mere 3g along the way. The sock bars were 186g. You can check out my thread for pictures.

grahus

by grahus

Pulled the bike apart again, weight it all and reassebled with the replacement parts...

Pro Carbon Frame
Pro Carbon Frame
RD Hanger
RD Hanger
Pro Carbon Forks
Pro Carbon Forks
Headset
Headset
Topcap
Topcap
Expander Plug
Expander Plug
Cable Guide
Cable Guide
Seat Clamp
Seat Clamp
Stem
Stem
Stem Ti bolts
Stem Ti bolts
Bikes:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com