Kayrehn's Colnago C60 PLGL heavy bike

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Wanted a build that can possibly satisfy me and outlast trends like the aero design nowadays (after a while, I no longer find those dropped seatstays cool). Always liked the Colnago C60 for the solid looking frame and lugged look, and I went with the C60 PLGL after deciding the C64 doesn't look impressive enough. The silver one isn't too bad but this is BLING.Image

Pic taken by the dealer who had it in 50s. He gave me a surprise telling me that it is the newer version using direct mount brakes, and I wasn't too happy at all tbh because I already bought the 'El Dorado' EE brakes to go with it.

460g heavier than my light frame.

Half times heavier than my light bike's fork.

My Berk combo is lighter than this Image

Last edited by Kayrehn on Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Some blemishes upon inspection - sure they are minor but still...

The most major blemish is this paint flake at the bb. Image

A bit of a paint scrap there?

The commonly reported 'overpainting' at the lugs' edges. Maybe it is to hide the stain of the epoxy used?

Oh Colnago why do you have to use such a sticky warning decal on this delicate area?

And I was rathe pissed to see this indentation when I removed the decal.

It's all pretty much unnoticeable to others but still.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JKolmo

by JKolmo

You don’t sound too happy about your project. Hope it pans out fine for you! Hey I love the bling!

Geoff

by Geoff

Ok, that's nice. You need to lighten-up a bit (no pun intended). That is a great looking frame, despite the minor issues.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Kayrehn wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:04 am
What's interesting to me about this fork is that it doesn't have the all carbon moulded crown race, but rather an alloy split crown race on it and not a completely molded carbon crown. At 455g it's quite heavy (maybe the gold paint?). My C60 uncut fork was 410 grams (white paint). It has a molded crown race (all carbon, no metal at all in that area). Likewise with the newest C64.... all molded carbon crown race. And the direct mount fork on the C64 I weighed was 390 grams, uncut.

Perhaps the molded fork crowns are only done when things are in final final production... I don't know. But given this fork is on a C60, this was probably one of the earlier direct mount forks. It was the same when the C60 first came out... there were some forks with the (non molded crowns and an alloy split crown race).

Looking forward to it all built up. And you're right... it will be a keeper for the long haul.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

tonytourist

by tonytourist

That doesn't surprise me about the paint "quality" based on my experience with a white C60. Hopefully you won't have to send yours to Colnago in Italy and get it back 6 months later with a half assed touchup done on a problem area! :x :evil:

Willier

by Willier

Look forward reading this, but I have to say, that is a very poor quality paint job, for such premium frameset

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Thanks for the insight Calnago, and I am looking forward to throwing my legs over it, hopefully before April is up! It looks gorgeous on the whole and I just have to ignore these imperfections because I'm not going to try returning the frame and delaying the build. The indentation of the caution sticker is really silly though, what were they thinking...

Anyway, yet another reason why I am a little disappointed is because I can't use the gold EE brakes I got and have to replace it with the direct mount version instead. And they sure look ugly...why do they have to have a different look for the front and rear? I know I can use either for front and rear but it slipped my mind and I ended up with this... Image

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

Kayrehn wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:24 pm
I'm not going to try returning the frame and delaying the build.
You want something you can keep for a long time but with this kind of begining (weight, paint job, not the right brake), this small things on your mind will tend to be bigger and bigger and in 6 months or a year, you will want to build an another bike.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Re brakes... don’t know what Group you’re using but if it’s Shimano or Campy, why not go with their DM calipers.
As for that sticker, I left mine on as I thought it was underneath the clearcoat. Sure seems like it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

Hey Kayrehn

Just my 2 cents but I’d return that frame. It’s just personal preference of course but what would concern me is that paint flaking off even more over time. Maybe when you clean the bike. I know it’s a giant pain but...I don’t know...

Also you need to get two front EE brakes rather than the rear that you have. The one you’ve got is actually designed to sit underneath the BB / chainstays area. I think the one you have may physically fit but it’s not recommended.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

+1 Return that frame and get something else. I would not be satisfied with those paint defects.

aug11x

by aug11x

Wtf, is that a fake frame? That is some shitty paintwork/finish. Even if i bought a chinese Hong Fu, i would have been disappointed about that finsh.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Ok so I emailed the dealer with pics and the reply was that -

1) the distribution is 'not happy' that I took the sticker off because it is about the warranty of the frame and needs to be there to warn the user to read the manual blah blah blah. Dafuq, it's like saying one shouldn't take off the plastic guard behind the cassette when buying a full bike because it's for safety (ok at least that might ensure safety, compared to a huge ugly sticker asking you to read the manual)

2) someone or myself must have 'worked on' the frame to scrape that top tube lug paint off

3) sending it back for repair is costly so I should find someone to fix it locally and they and myself will share the cost of repair.

I told him that's a good idea but I'm not going to pay a share of it cost the biggest problem which is the paint flake at the lug is obviously a manufacturing defect. A local repair shop accepted the job at a reasonable price so hope that'll settle it.

Meanwhile, I am still waiting for my groupset and chainrings order to arrive. Sent my transferred Zipp bars and sanded Sram cranks for matte clear coat too.

Thought it was a little silly to use the different looking EE direct mount front/rear brakes but I saw this video https://scontent.fsin4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5AD25718 and felt better about it now Image

Leaving the thread in the meantime till my frame comes back with this lovely pic -