Colnago master

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

markyboy

by markyboy

Stolichnaya wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:58 pm
Beautiful build.
I can't help but note two small points that I think would make a huge difference in the finer details:
1) silver headset would flow from the fork into the polished lugs
2) silver cable adjuster bosses / stops on the downtube - see if you can find the older, NOS Campagnolo item in silver. They are an elegant item to have.
Yes i agree i am on the lookout,black came with the frame.
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I agree with @Stolichnaya. A nice silver Campy headset like the one in the picture posted earlier would be awesome, but a Chris King would work too.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

markyboy

by markyboy

Calnago wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:08 pm
I agree with @Stolichnaya. A nice silver Campy headset like the one in the picture posted earlier would be awesome, but a Chris King would work too.
I have been looking at the chris king in silver but dont know the size to get,any idea?
Also have campag record bosses on order.
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Sheesh... I'm just not sure what they're using in the headset now... originally it was obviously 1", but when they reintroduced it I think they went to a more modern and easy to find 1 1/8" setup. If you can't tell just from looking at it, it's easy enough just to pull off the stem and measure the steertube diamter. I know I said in my previous post something about the sliver headset pictured earlier, but that was in some other thread and I can't remember where I saw it now. I'm not even sure that Campy sitll makes a silver headset, or if it isn't just anodized black, like their current hubs. But maybe on ebay or something you could find one. The Chris King headsets are nice, but they have all their graphics on them, so I probably wouldn't go that way either now that I think of it.

As for the derailleur bosses, I'm glad you got some on order. I actually have a set, thought I had a couple sets actually, and if so, was just going to post them up here and ask for your address and I'd send them to you, since your bike deserves them. But when I checked, and found I only had the one set, I know that the moment I send it off is the moment I'd find that perfect frame that I've been looking for all these years to do a nice retro build on.

I have a couple of catalogs, one from 2011 and one from 2016. They both show pictures of Masters and all of them show the pictures with brazeon cable stops, yet there is an inset in the 2016 cataolog showing just stops for the bolt on bosses (like yours) saying "Master Frames are provided with Down Tube Shifter Bosses" which is nicer I think. The bosses like you have are more period correct. Too bad they don't provide a nice quill stem and threaded headset with these frames, becasue I don't think the threadless headset and stems really go with these frames very well.

Enjoy it!
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

It's simpler to check:
Take off the top cap and look down at the steerer tube.
If there is a shim between your stem and the fork's steerer tube, then the headset is a 1"
If there is no shim in there then your headset is a 1.125"

Either way, I would try to source a Campagnolo headset. They are excellent quality.
But if you want to fill in some of the spacers, then a Chris King might be better as they have a taller stack height than the Campagnolo. CK also makes both 1" and 1.125".

markyboy

by markyboy

Thanks guys it’s a 1 inch as I had to put in shim.
I will try to source a headset in silver.
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

glepore

by glepore

FWIW, J&L makes a perfectly servicable 1 in plain silver headset for under $30 us on ebay. I'm a heretic, I know.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

And just to make sure, you will want to source a headset that is for 1" threadless steerers, not a threaded steerer (which would be for a threaded fork and quill stem set up.) Campagnolo is worth the coin for this frameset, Chris King will look bomber too - don't cut corners on this part.

markyboy

by markyboy

Just need to sort the spacers out now.

Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

Roel W

by Roel W

Aren't the shifting cables too short on the front end of the bike?

markyboy

by markyboy

Roel W wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:51 am
Aren't the shifting cables too short on the front end of the bike?
Yes cables sorted,have ridden this a lot now and its just sooooooooooooooo nice :D
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

TonyM

by TonyM

Still think that nice frame deserves neither an aero handlebar nor all these spacers under the stem

Glad to see that you enjoy it however.

LoCooO

by LoCooO

markyboy wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:43 pm
Just need to sort the spacers out now.

It looks beautiful the bicycle, this frame, in this color is spectacular!
Very good job, I congratulate you!
a question, how tall are you? How high is the seat in the photos?
Thank you very much

LoCooO

by LoCooO

Take this opportunity to ask, I want to buy a Master Mapei color. I love!
I have doubts with the size, I have a height of 163cm, a inseam of 77cm, arm length 59cm, the saddle I take it to 68.5 cm of the bottom bracket (approximately).
What size do you advise me? I have been told that I run a size 52, (50cm at the junction of top tube and seat tube) is it correct? Can someone with this size help me? thank you very much

markyboy

by markyboy

LoCooO wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:59 am
Take this opportunity to ask, I want to buy a Master Mapei color. I love!
I have doubts with the size, I have a height of 163cm, a inseam of 77cm, arm length 59cm, the saddle I take it to 68.5 cm of the bottom bracket (approximately).
What size do you advise me? I have been told that I run a size 52, (50cm at the junction of top tube and seat tube) is it correct? Can someone with this size help me? thank you very much
Hi i am 5ft 6 and its a size 52,looking at your size maybe 51 hope that helps.
Really lovely bike to ride i love it. :D
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com