Dege's (John Degenkolb) Domane

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Geoff

by Geoff

Ok, now that I have figured this out (thanks, all), here is Dege's Trek Domane from last season.

The bike is in as-close-to-raced condition as possible. It is missing the 'Ace of Spades' top cap (guys are so superstitious), but it does have a custom colour-matched replacement, which is just fine. The last race was Paris-Roubaix last Season and the bike still has the sticker listing the pave secteurs on the toptube. The Di2 E-Tube Cockpit got ripped-off at some point and I needed to get a pic before the snow flew again, so please don't rip me about that. Sorry about the snow in the back yard and the resultant bad lighting...
ImageDege 2017 by Geoff Mar, on Flickr
Last edited by Geoff on Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Awesome! You’ve arrived!
Now just slap some pedals on it and at least provide an “as is” weight. Weights without pedals, cages etc just don’t count.
Also, I think in this case an obligatory picture might be the sticker of the pave sections on the top tube.
Nice! Have you had a chance to actually ride it yet? A great little writeup might be to compare its handling with the Emonda you’ve got.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

The Pro-Endurance geo is a massive improvement aesthetically over the standard Domane geo.

Bke looks awesome Geoff, glad you got images sorted :thumbup:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

By the way Geoff... what sizes are the two Treks you have, Albertos Emonda and Degenkolb's Domane?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Geoff

by Geoff

Alberto's is an H1 56, Degenklob's is an H1 54, Pantano's is an H1, Nys' is a 56 and KfC's is a 52.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok... just how many ex pro bikes do you have stashed away in the mancave of yours? So do you mostly collect them, since the sizes in the bikes you have seem to cover a pretty good range and I thought you were on the smaller side of a 56, which is why I asked in the first place, since that’s the size I thought Contador rode. And that 54 of Degenkolbs looks tiny, if judging by the headtube length, but some of that is due to the longer than (std Emonda for example) axle to crown length, which like my Koppenberg, cuts at least a centimeter out of the headtube length. Love the look. When the weather gets better maybe some closeups of Degenkolbs rig would be in order. Did they at least cut the fender mounts off. Even if you were to get one of the Pro Endurance geo Domanes through Project One, there still have the fender mount bosses on them.

Geoff

by Geoff

Not sure, 50 or 60 maybe?

No, save and except for odd exceptions, they are all rideable (that is one of my criteria). That Dege is actually interesting. It is the 'Pro Endurance' geometry, which is a similar idea to 'H1'. AThe nominal 54 has a 103mm headtube, but a 55mm toptube and a 73.7 degree seattube, so it is actually quite long. I suspect that the shorter headtube allows the front Isospeed to have more range, or something. The fender mounts appear machined-down and have tiny Allen screws closing them up, but they are still there.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The Pro- Endurance geometry is the old Classics Geometry. That is what Cancellara, and others would use pretty much for one race only... Paris Roubaix. Long wheelbase, low BB, steering geometry to match... very much meant to be very stable riding in a relatively straight line over boulders. But not so agile on a more technical course, such as Flanders. For that they had the Koppenberg, which is very close to H1 geometry of the road bikes. Trek actually states the Koppenberg is H1, and for all intents and purposes it is, but there are a couple minor differences. Cancellara apparently liked the bike so much that it became his goto bike for all the Grand Tours as well, which was great for sales of the Domane, even though the geometry was nothing like that of a standard Domane.

50 or 60? Are you just messing with me now? If that's true, then all I can say is you've got a lot of picture posting to catch up on. Perhaps start a thread called "Geoff's Pro Bike Collection".

P90Puma

by P90Puma

Calnago wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:11 pm
50 or 60? Are you just messing with me now? If that's true, then all I can say is you've got a lot of picture posting to catch up on. Perhaps start a thread called "Geoff's Pro Bike Collection".
:exactly:

guyc

by guyc

Low. And. Long.

Love it.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Trek certainly have improved the geometry of there bikes. That's the short if bike I'd like to ride. Damm can't afford one at present.

glepore

by glepore

Geoff, are you friendly with someone at Trek's Service Course? If you can say...
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

jimmerjohn123

by jimmerjohn123

Geoff wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:31 pm
Alberto's is an H1 56, Degenklob's is an H1 54, Pantano's is an H1, Nys' is a 56 and KfC's is a 52.
I'm not familiar with abbreviated names. Who is Nys and KfC?

Geoff

by Geoff

Sorry. Sven Nys and Katie Compton ('cross riders).

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

This bike is one of the inspirational bikes for my current project so needless to say I'm jealous! Take good care of it!
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com