Focus Izalco Max Disc Ultegra R8000 di2

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

brackc

by brackc

Finally got myself a new bike, one which will be interesting to these forums...

Focus Izalco max Ultegra R8000 Di2
Focus had sold out of this model bike in my size, so swapped the components over to the super sexy freestyle frameset for me.

Bike currently weighs in at 8.28kg (on travel scales, so give it a few hundred grams either way of error) in a size 58 as stock with:
1x custom race bottle cage
1x garmin elastic band mount
2x bontrager silicone light mounts
2x look keo 2 max pedals (one for both crankarms that is)
1x noob spoke protector (now removed)

Has a lot of potential to be upgraded as time goes on, but first I need to get some money flowing again!

Updated Pic:
Last edited by brackc on Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Naturel

by Naturel

Nice. Time now to ride!
Could you let us where do you find the new model in special price ?

kofsw4

by kofsw4

Very nice bike!!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

I'm a big fan of the Izalco & think they're under represented on this site

Really like the colourful accents

Absolutely there is enormous scope to drop weight...but as you say...at a cost :D
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

reedplayer

by reedplayer

Squashednuts wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:19 am
I'm a big fan of the Izalco & think they're under represented on this site

hmm, there are many good bikes being under represented on inet-forums.
logically, bikes of big mass-manufacturers with huge marketing-budget are more common on those boards. but that does not matter at all. completely irrelevant.
@brackc: maybe you should ask moderator to put together your two identical topics. regards,

brackc

by brackc

Don't know what was going on with the duplicated topics but the moderators seem to have it sorted now (thanks mods!)
Finally had a chance to check the gearing, so the spoke protector is off, as is the factory grease on the chain.
Which brings me to the chain wax experiment, no idea what it will be like, but if I can actually double the chain life I'll be happy.
Cost is the main factor stopping me from changing some things (and for sticking with the awesome custom race cages I already had)
Bought the bike at a local focus dealer, wouldn't highly recommend them for higher end bikes except they could get me the cool paint job and I can double check anything their mechanics do myself...

want to try:
pirellli tyres (had them on our car for a bit and they were much grippier than the contis we had on before them)
lighter bottle cages (but cost to weight saved is high compared to custom race cages)
will possibly change out the saddle depending on how this one goes (only ridden the bike ~60kms so far)
different handlebars / stem should be able to save some weight for not too many $/g, no weights listed on the BBB deluxe stem that I can see, but the handlebar is claimed 315g.

focus seatpost seems to push saddlebags out sideways because of the width of it at the saddle clamp, so I may end up changing that.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

are you going to cut the steerer?
i think the focus seatpost is nice, but a bit heavy (220 gr uncut), so i replaced it by a ritchey flexlogic (similar seatback) saving 60 gr.
if your bar really weighs 315 gr. it should be replaced either!
which saddle is on the bike like shown on the picture? (i can only read "stretch")
thank you, regards

brackc

by brackc

Will cut the steerer once I can go get a proper bike fit done, not before.
Saddle is a prologo skratch stn saddle.
bars are low-end Easton Ea50, which feel reasonably stiff but are heavy to get that stiffness, no idea about the BBB stem weight as I it's OEM spec for focus with no ability to purchase.
Thanks for the seatpost weight, cutting it will not really be an option since I'm a giant, but may look to change it. Already not liking it overly much as it pushes my saddle bag out wider due to the split design :/

reedplayer

by reedplayer

brackc wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:10 am
Saddle is a prologo skratch stn saddle.
ah, i see, thanks for info. i was shure that i know the saddle. used the scratch for longer time, great saddle! just switched to a nago evo on one of my bikes, which is quite similar to the scratch. prologo-saddles are on the heavy side either, nago evo (with carbon rails!) weighs 192 gr. but, ok, saddle has to fit primarily.

btw: if the bike is finished i would look forward to a picture-update, if possible. izalcos with this paintjob are rare!
thanks, regards,

brackc

by brackc

Needed to get a new saddle bag as the focus seatpost is too wide at the top to allow a seatpost strap.
I also got a new multi tool since mine was pretty old/crap and changed the tyre levers with some others we had lying around.
So, because this is weightweenies, enjoy the following numbers, scales +-2g aprox.

Saddle Bag:
O pro saddle bag 54g
N Castelli mini 38g
S 16g

Multi Tool
O Kathmandu 108g
N Topeak mini 9 pro 74g
S 34g

Tyre Levers
O - generic steel core x2 52g
N Schwalbe plastic x2 24g
S 28g

Total Savings
78g

Other items in saddle bag: 1 spare tube, Pen knife - 18g, chain tool - 76g, valve core tool (too light to measure)
Total weight 330g
I've never needed the chain tool except to replace a chain at home, but mentally I prefer carrying one just in case!

brackc

by brackc

Photo Update:
new saddlebag is on the bike, I love how minimal it all looks (it is only a tube, multi-tool and a couple of tyre levers after all).
I rode up the 1/20 today on this bike, which is one of the iconic climbs just out of Melbourne and ahhhh it's so nice to finally be on a 'race' bike! :)
I'm currently rocking 2 elite custom race cages that I had lying around and as cheap and practical as they are, they're aesthetically a bit off for this bike. My heart rather wants the Arundel cadges in the oil slick finish, but they cost wayyy too much money for me to agree with actually buying them! I'm open to other cage suggestions in a more reasonable price point although they have to be able to take a full 750mL water bottle (you go faster hydrated after all)!

Shot these pics on my phone very quickly, enjoy!

brackc

by brackc

So, I've figured out the whole flickr inline photo posting thing, so I suppose you all need the 900km photo update!

changes:
I've added a k-edge mount and I have a gopro adapter for my front light in the mail, otherwise there are lighter options for a front garmin mount out there.
Tyres are now set up tubeless and I'm running a much lower pressure (70psi), plus they're also featured on bicyclerollingresistance and perform very well resistance wise! Now they're set up at a lower pressure, running tubeless and have worn in, they're rolling really nicely and I'm loving them! with tubes in them and running a higher pressure they were a bit harsh rolling and I wasn't really enjoying them as much. I really, really hope I don't puncture though as it's a $#&% to un-hook the bead from these rims, I do have a tubeless repair kit in my saddle bag now though, so I should be all good between that and the sealant.
I'm currently trying out the elite vico carbon cage and when they say some bidons are a tight fit, they really are, but they're a great budget and reasonably lightweight cage ~25g ish.
I've got some new 750mL purist/specialized bottles as I realised my current bidons are about 6 years old, they fit nicely in the elite vico cage and weigh in at 90 grams on my kitchen scales.

The focus:
corners like a dream
rides steep gradients like a masochistic dream
is just a touch heavier than I expected
has a new front fork coming due to unacceptable amounts of brake rub (and yes, the lbs has tried everything in their power to prevent it otherwise from different wheels, rotors and callipers)

yes this is another phone photo update, one day I'll take my proper camera and take a drool worthy baaw shot.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

brackc wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:32 am
has a new front fork coming due to unacceptable amounts of brake rub
Can you describe how often "unacceptable" means? All the time, during intense seating pedalling, during out of saddle efforts?

brackc

by brackc

Klaster1 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 8:15 am
brackc wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:32 am
has a new front fork coming due to unacceptable amounts of brake rub
Can you describe how often "unacceptable" means? All the time, during intense seating pedalling, during out of saddle efforts?
I mean riding at a light intensity e.g. std commuting whilst seated in the saddle and not rocking the bike it would rub (and I don't try and raise a sweat when commuting anymore)
get slightly out of the saddle or put a moderate or high amount of power through the bike and everyone would know exactly where you were...

The shop has eliminated it down to the calliper mount interface being off square, causing the brake calliper to sit slightly askew compared to the rotor.
e.g. /|/ vs the usual scenario of | | |, hence reducing the clearance around the rotor and causing the rub.
The bike was built from a frameset, so I'm unsure how focus can check the brake mount interface for 'straightness' prior to the bike leaving the factory, as I assume this would be done when building a complete bike up and checking the brakes, however the test-bike I rode prior to purchasing exhibited no signs of brake rub under any circumstances I put it through during my test ride. The new fork should fix the issue completely, just waiting for it to arrive in the country, shouldn't take too much longer!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

brackc

by brackc

1000km Update:
Weight is currently reading at 8.13kg - 2 bottle cages, k-edge to gopro adapter and moon light adapter to gopro, garmin cadence sensor, wheels running tubeless with around 40mL sealant. (no lights, Garmin, bottles or saddle bag)

Front fork has been replaced under warranty, which has eliminated *almost* all the brake rub, however it still rubs when I put power through the bike out of the saddle, so I'm going to get the rotor checked to see if it's also a touch out of true as the calliper is aligned as well as it can be.
I got the k-edge to gopro adapter and moon front light to gopro adapter in the mail, so now I'm running my front light under the k-edge mount, it's much cleaner than having the separate handlebar mount.