Kazyole's Cervelo R5 build: 5.7kg and falling

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Kazyole

by Kazyole

Wookski wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:47 am
This is really great work- well done.

Wheel wise i’d recommend some ultralight Tubulars, especially if you’re planning on spending some time in the alps. My ax/ extralite wheels weigh in at 760g for the pair and have been to hell and back, I can’t praise them enough.
Thanks! I'm continually blown away at how good the bike is. Such a crazy difference from when it was over 7kg. I can't even imagine what some of these ~5kg builds must ride like.

The wheel question is tricky. Part of me wants to do something crazy like that and get a set of tubs well under 1kg because that must be incredible to ride. But I also know that I'm fundamentally pretty lazy when it comes to swapping wheels, and while I am looking to build a light bike I feel like it also needs to be a bike that I can ride every day without sacrificing practicality. Which is why at least right now my list is full of clincher wheelsets. I'm not doing competitive hill climbs or anything like that, so having a second wheelset doesn't make a ton of sense for me.

And the area where I live is mostly rolling terrain, so I'm probably best served going for something with a deeper section. For that reason right now I'm looking primarily at Schmolke TLO 45 clinchers with tune hubs. 1160g if I go with the tune hubs, 1130g if I went with the extralites. Light enough that it's a substantial weight saving over the 303s (and importantly puts me well into the 5kgs), without sacrificing too much practicality in rim depth or ease of changing flats.

How do you like the extralite hubs? Do you put a lot of miles on them? Their weight is crazy but I have some durability concerns.
Last edited by Kazyole on Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wookski

by Wookski

Kazyole wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:40 am
How do you like the extralite hubs? Do you put a lot of miles on them? Their weight is crazy but I have some durability concerns.
Extralites are fantastic- upgraded the bearings to Kogel ceramics and they’ve been very low maintenance. I have my mech look at them every couple of thousand k’s and the most they’ve needed was a bearing clean in 5,000k’s. The caveat is that I am very gentle on components plus keep everything extremely clean. Like OCD eat off your drivetrain clean!

Don’t be afraid of tubulars- they can be a practical system. I am 100% tub life and loving it!

Sweetbabyj45

by Sweetbabyj45

Wookski wrote:
Kazyole wrote:

Don’t be afraid of tubulars- they can be a practical system. I am 100% tub life and loving it!
Sorry for the "off topic" but now I want a t-shirt that says "tub life" with a road bike gang symbol.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Kazyole

by Kazyole

Wookski wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:03 am
Kazyole wrote:
Extralites are fantastic- upgraded the bearings to Kogel ceramics and they’ve been very low maintenance. I have my mech look at them every couple of thousand k’s and the most they’ve needed was a bearing clean in 5,000k’s. The caveat is that I am very gentle on components plus keep everything extremely clean. Like OCD eat off your drivetrain clean!

Thanks! Good to know. Still weighing my options on the wheels, but I've ordered a cane creek AER headset and eeNut that should drop a little more weight in the meantime.

And as a general update on my initial impressions on the Lupina:

It's great. Even being completely unpadded, I have enough miles on it now to say that it's comfortable and works for me. This past Saturday I did a 200 mile ride with my father and a few of the guys in his cycling club, and was fine the whole way. I have to say I was a little bit surprised. I brought my old fizik with me just in case it got bad and I needed to swap at one of our planned stops, but the moment never came. And if it's good for just over 11 straight hours, it's probably good enough for anything I could ever hope to do on a bike. There's a good amount of flex in it and the cutout does exactly what I was hoping it would.

Kazyole

by Kazyole

Replaced the K Edge aero mount for the wahoo today

with a wahoo elemnt bolt mount from raceware.

Savings of 18g and I'm happy to say that the raceware mount maintains the seamless aerodynamic profile from the bottom of the headunit that the K edge had, so no loss in terms of the aerodynamic performance of the wahoo.

I've also ordered a Cane creek AER II upper headset, a Cane Creek eeNut, and some carbon bar plugs but haven't installed them yet. Waiting to decide what I'm going to do on bars and then I'll do all that at once.

FELIPESANTANA

by FELIPESANTANA

What is the weight of SRM Origin without the chairing 9100? only the crankarm? and what is the spindle, 24 or 30 mm?

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

i like the blue mount better even though heavier

kavlares

by kavlares

also 5'6-1/2'' so I considered a 51 for so long but my local cervelo dealer insists that a 48 would be so much better...
but I am not a young guy anymore and definitely not a racer and I can't imagine how am I going to manage to reach the drops at a 48 without having to raise the bars at least 30-35 mm with spacers... Ugly ugly oh so ugly...
what do you think? how does it feel to lean on a 48? what is your bb to saddle measurement?

Kazyole

by Kazyole

kavlares wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:40 pm
also 5'6-1/2'' so I considered a 51 for so long but my local cervelo dealer insists that a 48 would be so much better...
but I am not a young guy anymore and definitely not a racer and I can't imagine how am I going to manage to reach the drops at a 48 without having to raise the bars at least 30-35 mm with spacers... Ugly ugly oh so ugly...
what do you think? how does it feel to lean on a 48? what is your bb to saddle measurement?
My BB to saddle is 66cm. Sorry for the delay in responding. Missed that this thread got updated. The bike feels great to me personally. It's a bit on the racey side maybe, but it works for me. Compliant enough to be comfortable on a 200 mile ride, stable enough to feel confident on descents, and lightweight and aggressive enough to feel lively into corners and on climbs. It's a great all around frame imo. Toe overlap is a thing on the 48 though.

More updates coming to this thread soon. Baby's lost some weight since last time.

Kazyole

by Kazyole

FELIPESANTANA wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:56 pm
What is the weight of SRM Origin without the chairing 9100? only the crankarm? and what is the spindle, 24 or 30 mm?
520g with no rings mounted. 30mm spindle

Carbon Ti rings weigh 117g. DA rings are 134g

Kazyole

by Kazyole

Update: Now at a little over 5.7kg with some exciting updates coming.

Changes since last time:

• Wheels are now Roval CLX 32s. Stock wheelset came in at 1314g with the stock rim strips vs 1477 for my zipps. Plus I've just now realized I haven't taken the safety stickers off. So that's probably at least another gram.

• Rim strips were replaced with Rox Ultralite strips, 3g for the pair. Weight of the stock strips was 51g.

• Continental GP5000s at 208g each

• Tubolito Tubes at 41g each, vs 53g for my old continental supersonics.

• Also replaced the chain with a YBN lightweight titanium chain. 210g at 116l

• And also did hte Ceramicspeed OSPW upgrade, in a blingy gold to match the chain.

Bike feels like a rocketship. More to come.
Last edited by Kazyole on Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

exctasy

by exctasy

i love this! :thumbup: :thumbup:
I miss mine after smashing it :cry:

reedplayer

by reedplayer

great bike, one of my all-time-favorites. shape is very similar to my ridley helium in xs.
good luck with the 41-gr-tubes! :D

Kazyole

by Kazyole

reedplayer wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:57 pm
great bike, one of my all-time-favorites. shape is very similar to my ridley helium in xs.
good luck with the 41-gr-tubes! :D
Thanks! Big update coming as well ;)

The tubes I have no complaints about so far, but admittedly it's only been a handful of rides. The company I think got its start in MTB. They're supposed to be 2x tougher than a standard butyl tube. Was started by a couple engineers who were working with thermoplastic elastomers for tech products and transitioned to making tubes. No big seam either. We'll see how they hold up this year but I'm reasonably optimistic (I've heard good things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kazyole

by Kazyole

Alright, shitty photos but I'm too excited to not share.

I'll probably start a new thread when I start building it, but here's my freshly aquired Cervelo Rca frameset. 890g total for the frame and fork without hardware.

It looks incredible in person and I can't wait to ride it.