Crumpton: Round #2

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Very impressed and jealous! The downtube is skinnier than any I've ever seen in carbon.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

i am very satisfied with my bike....but this crumpton makes me jealous either! the slim downtube is intriguing.
i would not change anything, the finish ist nice as it is!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

reedplayer wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:18 pm
i am very satisfied with my bike....but this crumpton makes me jealous either! the slim downtube is intriguing.
i would not change anything, the finish ist nice as it is!
Me too. The finish is perfect. I almost bought the sl on ebay recently, it went for under 3500 with new etap, Mavic slrs and a bunch of other high end stuff, but it was gloss and that, plus the 7 other bikes in the basement, put me off. The matte clear on Ryan's bike really shows off how much care is put into the junctions. That frame is special, and Ryan stole it.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

AZR3

by AZR3

So assuming the noise was the THM BB?

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

You mentioned that the blue one was tough to keep clean with the matte finish, how doesn this one compare?

RyanH

by RyanH

I think the noise was the THM BB. I didn't do a very good job prepping the shell before throwing in the BB with Loctite 609. One side was in pretty good and was a PITA to remove, the other side tapped out a little too easily so my guess is that it's that side. When I get it back from Nick, I'll spend the time to thoroughly clean, degrease and then install the BB again.

Regarding the black matte finish, it's a lot easier because things just aren't as noticeable. On the matte blue, any drop of sweat created a dark spot that contrasted strongly and then it collected any dust from a ride. Add to that any grease on your hands that you accidentally transfer over to the paint is almost game over...although citrus degreaser did manage to get out a handful of those oopsies.

Anywho, frame should be back in a couple weeks. I have 9150 sitting in a box ready to go, just need to order a Darimo post and then I'll be good to go. Bars and stem are the only components that may get replaced in the future, but IIRC it should be 5.1kg with 9150, LW, ee and Pro Vibe bars.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

That’s good info, thanks, I’ve been hovering over the buy button for a while but can’t decide on the finish. Look forward to seeing yours built

RyanH

by RyanH

On the flip side, the matte blue was stunning in person...almost annoyingly so since every ride a group of people would gather around the bike to comment on it and ask what a Crumpit...I mean Crumpton is.

RyanH

by RyanH

Got this back today from Nick. I was going to get it resprayed which would have blended in the repaired part but later decided to leave it as is.

Repaired area:

Annoyingly, the frame came back with this, not sure where that came from:

Quick, crappy shot in front. Sitting at 5.2kg for the moment:

Any suggestions on getting the scratch out of a matte clear?

glepore

by glepore

Wer sand with 1500 or 2000
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

RyanH

by RyanH

Here's a better picture:

@glepore, I'll have to try that on one of the hidden spots to see if it blends in well enough.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

How much do YOU weigh though?

beanbiken

by beanbiken

RyanH wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:47 pm

Any suggestions on getting the scratch out of a matte clear?
I would try a very light rub with some grey Scotchbrite pad but as you suggested in an less obvious place first. There is very little that can be done with matte finishes....... which is why I prefer a gloss finish, just more practical.

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Re the scratch, I would send Crumpton and email with a photo and ask his advice on how to get rid of it.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

A beautiful build.