Crumpton: Round #2

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

RyanH

by RyanH

I nearly instantly regretted selling my Corsa M, so I've been keeping an eye out for another since. I think I lucked out even more this time as the geo looks to be about spot on for me: 541mm TT, 12cm HT, 73.5 Sta and 50cm St CtT. So, another long and low frame.

There is a "but" though with this one, there's a small crack in the seat tube below the collar. Nick said that the previous owner rode it like that for the past 6 years. I think my plan is to ride it for a month like it is to make sure I'm happy with it (and di2) and then send it back to Nick to get it fixed, probably resprayed and maybe add cable stops if I'm not jivving with Di2.

themidge

by themidge

Wow that's light, this should be a good'n! :popcorn:
Why did you regret selling your previous Crumpton, and what made you get another? I seem to remember you had some problems with the blue one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

The last Crumpton was the nicest riding carbon bike that I've owned, but there were a few niggles and I let my cheapness get the best of me:
  1. The biggest issue was that I was dealing with hand/forearm numbness. The drop was aggressive so that somewhat contributed to the issue but even when I switched to a -6 it didn't remedy it (which matched the drop on my Litespeed). I think my circulation is best with Campy since my hands are rotated slightly differently but I also think the smaller bodies of the Di2 shifters contribute to the problem. So, we'll see if this presents an issue again.
  2. Di2 itself bothered me. It never felt natural and I always felt like I had to think about my shifts (same with eTap). I'm giving it another go since I've been on 9100 now for awhile so I may fare better with it.
  3. The matte finish was gorgeous until it was ridden. It was a constant battle to keep it clean. I had to clean my bike after every ride and during the summer, midride too.
  4. The rear triangle was too chunky and bothered me from an aesthetic standpoint.
  5. I wasn't smitten with the handling but that was a setup issue. I always setup my bikes by measuring to the faceplate of the stem. I didn't realize that the Shimano levers had much longer reach. I don't think it was until I switched over to 9100 on my Litespeed that I realized that the "steering from behind the bike" feeling I was getting was because the reach was too long.
Battling with the numbness issue was the most tiring part of it and I wasn't ready to invest in another electronic groupset (EPS) in hopes that I'd like that as much as mechanical. I was trying to be pragmatic when I decided to sell it by reasoning that overall I enjoy the ride of my Litespeed just as much so why did I need a second bike? That was my regret because I had something unique and I should've realized that it was a keeper.

glepore

by glepore

Glad to see you grabbed this when it came up again. I was interested but the tt was a bit long.

I think you'll be fine with di2 haaving been on Shimano for a while now. I still haven't adopted to etap, can't seem to wrap my brain around the using both hands for rd thing. The front shifting doesn't seem to pose a problem.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Denavelo

by Denavelo

I'm totally the opposite with Di2.... I'm loving it more and more over mechanical. The front shifting has no play in it, which was my biggest gripe with mechanical.
The effort with Campy levers, where you had to use hand muscles to push it all the way into the big ring. Now I just tap the paddle..
Now that I'm running Fiberlyte rings, shifting is spot on which I feel mechanical would destroy fiber lyte rings from the play.

This should be an intersting build!
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

RyanH

by RyanH

I was supposed to work all day today but with the frame pending arrival in the afternoon, I couldn't get much done.

I can't believe the guy on Paceline returned this. I understand that the crack wasn't initially disclosed but for a 6 year old frame and the price, I'm shocked it was returned. Stack is pretty close to the Litespeed with about 12mm or so more reach.

I guess some people's scales read a little lighter:

Holy batman these kcnc headsets are light:

AER bearing for comparison:

Kcnc bearing:

Rd hanger:

I mentioned this in my other thread but they increased the lip on the THM PF30 BB and managed to increase the weight by 14g in doing so:

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Do you have a photo of the crack? How bad is it? Why would THM do that? Seems silly. The lack of non THM PF30 BB options is the the one thing stopping me from buying one at the moment

RyanH

by RyanH

I think a few people complained that there wasn't enough surface contact with the shell. I installed the new version over the old despite the weight penalty.

Here's the crack:

reedplayer

by reedplayer

harmless, imo very easy to repair (but i would have it done categorically!)
i am a big fan of crumpton-framesets, so, subscribed!

themidge

by themidge

Wow, that fork is light. Are you going full WW on this build (within the constraints of Di2)? Seeing as you already have the Litespeed and that the frameset is so light it seems a no-brainer.

RyanH

by RyanH

It's getting some temporary parts: 8050 shift components, 38cm Pro alloy bars and 9100 brakes. This will give me a chance to try a couple things out: narrower bars and to confirm I'm OK to commit to Di2. I'm on the immediate hunt for eeBrakes though so if anyone comes across a decently priced pair, let me know.

Weight is going to be 5.5kg with those items and my non working Gipfelsturms. On the positive side, I should have a front wheel coming next week. In the mean time, I'll have to try to get a feel for the bike with Nemesis.

I think in final form it will be around 5.2kg or maybe a little less.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Yeah I was contemplating on that frame as well.. HT at 12 is a bit much for my old back . Glad someone on WW got it.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Peeza21

by Peeza21

RyanH wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:48 pm

That is so good looking! This is going to be a great build to follow!
Cannondale Systemsix Ultegra 2020 8)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=160844

Geoff

by Geoff

Ok, that's nice. +1 with not being overly concerned with the crack.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

NIce. It looks killer with the THM's. Did you pick up one of the ebay Gip fronts that have been up for a while?
Yeah, I don't want to criticize the dude across the hall, but at the price you paid the crack is immaterial, even if it needs a repair. Using a post with sufficient insertion, it shouldn't be an issue.

Plugging the frame into a stack/reach calculator, I could probably have made it work...but snooze, lose. Its a third of the cost of the blue one though, and much more attractive to my eye.

Uh oh-there's a nice sl w/ etap that's right around the corner from me, similar dimentions except a 15cm ht...yours is a bit lowish, that one's a bit highish, but why seem like goldilocks, guess I'm watching.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record