BMC Teammachine SLR02 (2018)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

bilwit

by bilwit

what's the rim width? on my SLR01 I had trouble with clearance with my 25mm wide hoops and found that I could only use the shorter Swisstop Black EVO pads, otherwise there was no way in hell it would clear. Can't imagine anything wider like 28mm.. seems like the brake shoes (and the bolt that keeps the pad in) is the limiting factor as it hits the inside of the fork

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Delorre

by Delorre

bilwit wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:14 pm
what's the rim width? on my SLR01 I had trouble with clearance with my 25mm wide hoops and found that I could only use the shorter Swisstop Black EVO pads, otherwise there was no way in hell it would clear. Can't imagine anything wider like 28mm.. seems like the brake shoes (and the bolt that keeps the pad in) is the limiting factor as it hits the inside of the fork
On a '17 / '18 model, there should be no problems. The bikes come fitted with 25mm DT or 3T rims from factory and 25mm vittoria's (27mm real). That's also the max I would fit for peace of mind :wink:

bilwit

by bilwit

Delorre wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:24 pm
bilwit wrote:
On a '17 / '18 model, there should be no problems. The bikes come fitted with 25mm DT or 3T rims from factory and 25mm vittoria's (27mm real). That's also the max I would fit for peace of mind :wink:
I have the current SLR01. 25mm rim (external) with normal brakepads is a huge problem for me (OK with the EVOs). The tire size isn't an issue since there's plenty of vertical clearance, it's just that, like I said, the brake shoe against the fork limits how wide the DM caliper can go.. I'm also using the swisstop shoes since they're flatter than the normal shimano ones

Delorre

by Delorre

bilwit wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:34 pm
Delorre wrote:
bilwit wrote:
I have the current SLR01. 25mm rim (external) with normal brakepads is a huge problem for me (OK with the EVOs). The tire size isn't an issue since there's plenty of vertical clearance, it's just that, like I said, the brake shoe against the fork limits how wide the DM caliper can go.. I'm also using the swisstop shoes since they're flatter than the normal shimano ones
BMC is riding it with the latest c40 tubular, a 28mm wide rim. Strange issue you have...

Delorre

by Delorre

bilwit wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:34 pm
Delorre wrote:
bilwit wrote:
BMC is riding it with the latest c40 tubular, a 28mm wide rim. Strange issue you have... There is even in indent in the fork for the brakepads!

Beancouter

by Beancouter

I get your point bilwit. I am running eecycleworks with a low profile brake pad and the amount of clearance is limited on the front. Work fine but would prefer a bit more play.

Plenty of room for a 28 on the back.

The rims are Knight composites and are 25.5 wide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bilwit

by bilwit

Delorre wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 6:47 pm
BMC is riding it with the latest c40 tubular, a 28mm wide rim. Strange issue you have... There is even in indent in the fork for the brakepads!
Beancouter wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:10 pm
I get your point bilwit. I am running eecycleworks with a low profile brake pad and the amount of clearance is limited on the front. Work fine but would prefer a bit more play.

Plenty of room for a 28 on the back.

The rims are Knight composites and are 25.5 wide.

Hmmm I wonder if just getting the EE brake shoes would help, they don't have the fixing bolt thing so there should be a little more give. EE and DA9110 (what Team BMC uses) are rated for 28mm clearance and my DA9010 ones are only rated for 25mm so there's that, but again I'm not too convinced think that's the issue because once you take the shoes off there's plenty of clearance. Your rims are a bit wider than mine (25.5 vs 25) so maybe EE brake shoes would allow me to use normal pads.

I really don't see how 28s would fit on the front unless they're using special shoes that mount at the end rather than the middle (so it doesn't overlap with the fork). Maybe they use super filed down pads...

Beancouter

by Beancouter

28mm on the back with plenty of space.

Done a few rides on it now and it is Uber comfortable - by way of comparison a friend and I swapped over mid-ride, he is on a C60 with Reynolds 38 (also on GP4000 x25mm, albeit with very little clearance), and whilst we both commented how similar the ride was, the BMC was noticeably more insulted from the road.

NilesCrane

by NilesCrane

What a good looking bike. Kudos!

minley1

by minley1

Looks very mean and Fast, I really like the seatstays on these. The bar tape looks really good too.

themidge

by themidge

I like it too, except that seat post. Why does it have a sticky-out bit at the front?

Beancouter

by Beancouter

The sticky out bit kind of grows on you! Wouldn’t be my choice though.

Eventually I may buy another post and chop off the top and use a carbon cradle and yokes. Should save a stack load of weight too!

My new Berk turned up too...

Now need to trim the fork and that’s me pretty much done for the time being.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Nice build!

Btw, I saw your points on the first page. The weight difference between 01 v 02 is 230g according to RA Cycles' fork and frame (815+355 v 1045+405)

I think other than the frame weight it's the stem and handlebars correct? Which I think is only beneficial when you have electronic gearing (?)

I'm torn between this and a Tarmac for this summer. I've had an SLR01 before which was unfortunately 1 size too big and had to sell it. It was the best bike I had so I know what to expect.

shuttlenote

by shuttlenote

Awesome build man! Good to see another BMC on WW. My SLR02 is also a WIP at 6.7kg. The hope is to get it under 6.5kg lol.

FYI my 2016 SLR02 fits 25mm tires on a 25mm external just fine no issues, but I'm on RED brakes and they are not direct mount.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Thanks guys - it really is an incredible bike. That said I am most likely going to sell it, maybe.... I am trying to thin out my collection and it’s currently a toss up between this and my Evo himod.

Will wait until the weather turns here in the UK and ride them back to back to try and sort out which one to keep....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com