2018 Scott Genius Tuned

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Gullholm

by Gullholm

Lots of things happening, with the last few bits being polished and painting has been done. Just some wet sanding and polishing of the clear coat to do.

A shipment from Intend is on it's way, and then it's "just" the CNC'd remote missing.

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

The dropper post looks stunning!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Interesting, adding some color to it...just a small line along the frame?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gullholm

by Gullholm

burglarboycie wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 1:33 pm
The dropper post looks stunning!!
Thanks! Really happy with how it turned out, and feels good finally be done with the complete "set" of fork, shock and dropper.
andreszucs wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 6:58 pm
Interesting, adding some color to it...just a small line along the frame?

It's actually a quite striking paint job, with the outside of seat/chainstays, downtube and my "signature" stripe on the toptube painted. All visible carbon will be kept completely raw, no clearcoat, and the logos are raw carbon as well. Makes for a really cool contrast between the too.
A preview pic is coming tomorrow!

Until then, here's the crankset I just finished with striped Next SL cranks and Garbaruk 34T chain ring.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Gullholm wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 11:14 pm
Until then, here's the crankset I just finished with striped Next SL cranks and Garbaruk 34T chain ring.
The raw UD in sunlight looks so much nicer than the stock look, did you weight the arms before/after? Any clear cover afterwards?

Gullholm

by Gullholm

Klaster1 wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:28 am
Gullholm wrote:
The raw UD in sunlight looks so much nicer than the stock look, did you weight the arms before/after? Any clear cover afterwards?
Agreed! Didn't weigh these ones but on my others I think it was just 3-4g or so. No clear for me, I just wax them every now and then.

So here's the frame finally! You'll have to survive me being in the pics too, they were primarily taken for Instagram haha.
Hope you like it!

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Gullholm wrote:
Klaster1 wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:28 am
Gullholm wrote:
Agreed! Didn't weigh these ones but on my others I think it was just 3-4g or so. No clear for me, I just wax them every now and then.

So here's the frame finally! You'll have to survive me being in the pics too, they were primarily taken for Instagram haha.
Hope you like it!

Great gradient! You’re an artist man! Don’t think I would be able to paint so nicely.

Also....must be an excellent power-to-weight ratio when you ride your 13lbs scale with those legs!

Gullholm

by Gullholm

andreszucs wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:56 pm
Great gradient! You’re an artist man! Don’t think I would be able to paint so nicely.

Also....must be an excellent power-to-weight ratio when you ride your 13lbs scale with those legs!

Thanks a lot! Was quite nerve wracking to do that paint job. Was my first time doing something a little more advanced with masking and fading, but except for a couple of minor rookie mistakes I'm super happy with the result.

Power-to-weight ratio is pretty good I think, but I've been riding way to little this year so my lungs and heart aren't quite as good at the moment. :lol:

Built the bike up temporarily to get it rideable since it was opening weekend at the bike park. Unfortunately the chair lift was dead today so only rode up twice to hit the downhills, but first impressions are great. Really can't believe how fast a bike with "only" 150mm of travel can be! It was easy feeling at home on it too, which says something about how good and confidence inspiring the bike is since it was 5 years since I rode any dh.

Also a pic that shows more of the paint job!

Kimmoth

by Kimmoth

Dude, that's some impressive work.

Also, scary legs.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Who needs such a light bike with those legs :shock: :twisted:

Anyway, totally impressive work.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Gullholm

by Gullholm

Thanks guys!
About the legs, 8 years of heavy squats and about a trillion clean and protein rich meals. With that in mind I actually think they should be better. :lol:

Needed a new full face helmet after my downhill hiatus so got myself a Scott Nero Plus with Mips, painted it to match the bike while I was at it.
Need to touch up the vents a bit since it was just a quick job after working all day with the frame, but looks allright from a distance haha.

chris47

by chris47

"looks allright from a distance"
Ahaha no! looks amazing from all distances i´d say. Really a nice fade paintjob. Could you show us how you did it?
Really love your mentality to bikes. its rare that people go the distance and DIY things, most just buy a ton of production stuff and call it a day

Gullholm

by Gullholm

chris47 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:27 am
"looks allright from a distance"
Ahaha no! looks amazing from all distances i´d say. Really a nice fade paintjob. Could you show us how you did it?
Really love your mentality to bikes. its rare that people go the distance and DIY things, most just buy a ton of production stuff and call it a day
Thanks a lot! Maybe I'm sometimes a bit too much of a perfectionist haha.
I actually did it just using rattlecans from graffiti/hobby brand Montana. Spent a lot of time masking it all up of course and applied primer. Then I used colors from their metallic series along with a "flat jet medium cap" to make the fades, as the name suggests it has a more flat stream of paint instead of most other caps that sprays a circle. Found this easier to use for the fades, but it was still quite difficult for sure.
Then I used Molotow 2k clear coat that I wet sanded and polished.

Since the frame isn't perfectly smooth and I didn't use any filler or really thick primer to smooth it all out, you can still see hints of joints and such but I really don't mind. The 2k clear makes it quite strong, altough it still chips a bit easier than stock paint.

And yeah I think it's both interesting and good to try some things yourself. You learn a lot, you get even more respect for the professionals and even if the work sometimes suck it's a great feeling when done.

motorapido

by motorapido

Nicely integrated, although you might find the shift buttons a bit small for MTB use unless you intend to put some larger heads on them.

Whats the plan, are you going to machine it from alloy or metal RP parts, some of the new RP sinter materials like the Ti used by Pinarello on the Tallon TT bars and brake levers look interesting and a nice finish. A secondary bar clamp locating onto the Twinloc and edge of your shifter pod would probably reinforce your design enough for it to be strong enough in a Nylon SLS part.

I can recommend Digits2Widgits in the UK for cheap good quality RP parts in SLS as they have a workpiece size pricing strategy which makes them the best price wise i've come across.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com