2018 Scott Genius Tuned

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Gullholm

by Gullholm

scant wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:55 pm
I've toyed with paint stripping many times, but I dont have the spare time & I imagine its 1 of those jobs that as soon as you start; you cant wait for it to end!

nice work on the fork crown.

the transfer is a good post, i've been using one for a while now
That's exactly how you feel. After that first scratch with the knife it's like "*f##k*, why did I even get this idea..." :lol:
Sounds good about the Transfer!

So, lots of things to happening!
Fork is almost finished, just a little more polishing and the Hopp Carbon topcap/lever. I also managed to polish the air can and Evol sleeve on the rear shock. The coating was super hard so it was a lot of work to get through, but really happy with the result. Next up is the linkage plates.

Also got the tires, Schwalbe Nobby Nic 29x2,6" that came in at a pretty good 881+925g. Big variations as always though...
Lastly a little preview on the bike on wheels, gonna look good when finished!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scant

by scant

dare I ask, how much weight did the polished shock air can save? :) it does look cool, same for the fork

I had another thought about the blue lockout dial that you mentioned on instagram. if you masked off the rest of the shock, then used a toothbrush & more autoglym metal polish? sure it would be really time consuming, but would save you having to strip down the whole shock, nitrogen recharge etc :)

Pynchonite

by Pynchonite

Agree with scant - this is a cool project because a lot of us only have the one bike to use for every trail. Why not the 9point8 Fall Line R? Seems to hit the weight and (mostly) looks targets (though, honestly, all droppers kind of look about the same to me). Waiting with bated breath for Garbaruk to come out with a SRAM Eagle-compatible cassette!

Gullholm

by Gullholm

Scant: Didn't even weight it, but would be barely measurable since it's basically just a surface treatment. Yes I'm gonna look into either doing something like that or simply mask it off and spray it black. Since it's wire actuated you're rarely there with your fingers risking to scratch it so would definitely work out alright.

Pynchonite: Call me vain but the only reason really I went for the Fox is to match the fork with the Kashima coating haha. It's actually a lot of fun to change it up a bit compared to my other builds, where it was always a very hard compromise between weight and looks and trying to make it work out. Here I can go more about looks and just make it a super cool and unique mountain bike. It doesn't matter that much if it's 11,5 or 12kg you know.
So there's actually been some recent change of plans spec wise, on exactly that theme. And also today I got a kinda green light on my custom CNC Twinloc project, it'll hopefully be 100% confirmed next week if possible to do.

Anyway, here's the video you've all been waiting for! :lol:

scant

by scant

twinlock combined remote dropper post & shock lock out?

Pynchonite

by Pynchonite

You know, when I read on the other thread that you took the paint off with a knife, I was thinking "Oh, there's a special scraping knife." Nope. The shocks already look great - can't wait to see the end result frameset!

Gullholm

by Gullholm

scant wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:12 pm
twinlock combined remote dropper post & shock lock out?
I'm gonna be an asshole and keep the plans somewhat to myself until I know if it all works out. :lol: But my goal is to be able to have rear shock, dropper and shifting all in one very tidy unit. The fork will have a regular switch and no remote.
Fingers crossed for it, hopefully I can meet the guy next week who'll design and CNC machine it and we'll see. It really will be a truly unique setup.
Pynchonite wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:31 am
You know, when I read on the other thread that you took the paint off with a knife, I was thinking "Oh, there's a special scraping knife." Nope. The shocks already look great - can't wait to see the end result frameset!
Haha nope, a regular knife like that is actually good since the curved blade is needed to scrape the really flat or concave sections of the frame. But well, it really does take forever if done carefully. So am I, will add some color back to it and need to decide on what design to go for but should be good!

scant

by scant

how long did that take? :)

bomber

by bomber

Took me a few seconds to realise I'd stopped breathing while watching you drag the knife across the frame..
Carb loading since the 90's

My ex ride
My old rides

Gullholm

by Gullholm

scant wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:27 pm
how long did that take? :)
Way too long, but I didn't count the hours because I didn't really wanna know haha. A full suspenison frame like that sucks to strip though, all the concave spots like lower shock mount etc takes a lot of extra time.
bomber wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:45 am
Took me a few seconds to realise I'd stopped breathing while watching you drag the knife across the frame..
That sound is not something you easily get used to I guess. :lol:

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Weight goal?...just signing in so I get updates from the thread on my phone! :lol:

Gullholm

by Gullholm

andreszucs wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:54 am
Weight goal?...just signing in so I get updates from the thread on my phone! :lol:
No weight goal on this one really. Since it'll be used for everything from light trail to full on downhill it's gonna weigh a bit, guessing around 11,5-12kg depending on setup.

Put it up on wheels just to get a better look, we'll see how I take it from here. Don't even know myself yet. :lol:

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Gullholm wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:08 pm
andreszucs wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:54 am
Weight goal?...just signing in so I get updates from the thread on my phone! Image
No weight goal on this one really. Since it'll be used for everything from light trail to full on downhill it's gonna weigh a bit, guessing around 11,5-12kg depending on setup.
Congracts on all the Press Btw....Its nice to see your work being appreciated by the cycling industry, great way to represent the Weightweenie crowd and to remind the 'e-industry' that we are actualy into bikes. I feel honored to be following your Scale/Spark project from the get go. :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Gullholm

by Gullholm

andreszucs wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:28 pm
Congracts on all the Press Btw....Its nice to see your work being appreciated by the cycling industry, great way to represent the Weightweenie crowd and to remind the 'e-industry' that we are actualy into bikes. I feel honored to be following your Scale/Spark project from the get go. :beerchug:
Thanks a lot for your kind words man! But yes, it's been really fun seeing how many people "outside the ww-world" who likes the bikes and they seem to have inspired quite a few people as well. :beerchug:

Anyway, here's the latest on the Genius.
Got some more parts, not that much missing now really. Can't wait to ride flats again!

And tonights work was integrating the Di2 junction box with charging port into the frame. Not gonna lie - quite proud of my free hand Dremel skills on this one. :lol: The frame port and Di2 box actually fits together with a "click", don't even need a drop of glue to hold them together. And it then drops perfectly into the frame. The reason it doesn't sit horizontal is that unless I remove some material on the frame it only fits at this angle.
Going to be tight with the cables not hitting the other side of the frame, but it should just work.