Cannondale Supersix 2008

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

themidge

by themidge

A wee update to the 'training' set-up (pff as if I do anything other than ride around for fun :roll:), which has made the bike even heavier! I built up a front wheel to match the rear one, Mavic Open Pro on Shimano 105 5600 with Sapim Race. It's probably a cardinal sin of weight weenie-ism to ride these wheels, but so far they have been absolutely bombproof.
I have put some quite nice tyres on, however: Michelin Pro4 Service Course. They apparently have the same puncture protection belt as my favourite Pro4 Enduraces but only on the tread rather than all the way round the tyre. We'll have to see how they hold up, but they ride nicely in 23mm and are pretty light.
ImageImage
So here is the heavy setup, rolls like a tank and hopefully is about as durable.
As you can see, the heavy wheels add a load of weight vs the tubulars (which are back up and running again :mrgreen:), but 7.3kg is where I was at with shimano c24's so there's been progress in other areas.
( ^ last column is actual weights)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tomsneo

by tomsneo

love your build, classic frame
Masi 3VC SL
S-Works SL7
Supersix Evo HM Black INC

themidge

by themidge

^ Thanks :)

Speaking of classic looks, I got a bit fed up with the 'ergo' bend of the 3T Prima handlebars, so I've switched back to my Ritchey WCS Neo-Classics. However, I needed a longer stem so I picked up an FSA Afterburner. Apparently it's an MTB stem, but it's 120mm long and -12 degree, so perfect both for fit and aestheics.

It's lighter than the Deda Newton I had with the 3Ts, but the Ritcheys are 268g, so the total cockpit weight has gone from 349g to 401.5g
With steel bolts:
With Ti bolts from the Deda Newton:
These bars are quite a bit shorter actually, so I could maybe have done with a 130mm stem, or maybe even 140 :twisted:, however I've pushed the saddle back a bit, now it's slammed right back on the seatpost.

LewisK

by LewisK

Looks really good. If you like the classic bar shape but need a bit more reach, check out the 3T Superleggera Team which has a 105mm reach. Wiggle have them at a good price atm.

themidge

by themidge

Covid-induced isolation (I don't have it, someone I live with does :( ) has caused me finally get around to some long-planned upgrades, some big, some rather large.
First to arrive is a stem mounted Garmin mount, I've been running the standard rubber-band/plastic for years so it's nice to finally have a proper one and clean up the cockpit. Unfortunately it is quite heavy, but I wasn't about to spend 80 on a fancy carbon one.
That weight is actually quite offensive, but it's the bolts that are the main culprit, they're far too long and made from cheap steel. I'll get some Ti ones at some point..
The old one was obviously pretty light, in fact I don't think there's anything lighter. It did look bad though, so it had to go.
^ That's with two titanium stem bolts, which I included in the weight because I had to swap them out. Overall that's 30g gained, seems a lot for a cleaner cockpit, but I reckon it's worth it for being able to see all 120mm of my stem.. that sounded a bit wrong.

A much bigger upgrade is on its way from Germany, which will also add weight :wink:

tarmackev

by tarmackev

I still love this build, a great looking bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

themidge

by themidge

I haven't been this excited to open a box since I got the frame of this bike two and a half years ago! :P
Finally stumped up the cash to get a power meter, and luckily I had just the right cranks to take advantage of a massive sale on the Power2max Type S for Rotor 3D+ cranks. Reduced from 590 euros to 390, even with the rip-off of a tool for the spider lockring I think that's a pretty good deal!
124.5 grams gained, not 4iiii weight, but it's not like it's a DA7900 SRM either, so I'm pleased with it. By the way the lockring on the Rotor cranks was an abolsute bitch to get off, I think they glue it on. Probably best to just stick the tool in a vice if you've got one (I don't) for maximum purchase.
You had to buy the spider with chainrings for some reason, which is a bit strange since you'd expect the people who this model is for, who already have cranks, would also already have chainrings :noidea:. I decided to get 52/36 just because they're a size I've never tried but I'm sticking with my 50/35[sic] Stronglights for the moment. Good to have the option to size up, or I might just sell them on since they're brand new.
Of course I had to get it in the right colour to match the rest of the bike.
Here's how the bike currently stands, I promise the rest of my Uni room doesn't look as dead as this corner!
Time to do some real training :beerchug:.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

themidge wrote:I haven't been this excited to open a box since I got the frame of this bike two and a half years ago! :P
Finally stumped up the cash to get a power meter, and luckily I had just the right cranks to take advantage of a massive sale on the Power2max Type S for Rotor 3D+ cranks. Reduced from 590 euros to 390, even with the rip-off of a tool for the spider lockring I think that's a pretty good deal!
124.5 grams gained, not 4iiii weight, but it's not like it's a DA7900 SRM either, so I'm pleased with it. By the way the lockring on the Rotor cranks was an abolsute bitch to get off, I think they glue it on. Probably best to just stick the tool in a vice if you've got one (I don't) for maximum purchase.
You had to buy the spider with chainrings for some reason, which is a bit strange since you'd expect the people who this model is for, who already have cranks, would also already have chainrings :noidea:. I decided to get 52/36 just because they're a size I've never tried but I'm sticking with my 50/35[sic] Stronglights for the moment. Good to have the option to size up, or I might just sell them on since they're brand new.
Of course I had to get it in the right colour to match the rest of the bike.
Here's how the bike currently stands, I promise the rest of my Uni room doesn't look as dead as this corner!
Time to do some real training :beerchug:.
An Xcadey is 100g

Thomson

by Thomson

Looks awesome. Love what you have done with this🤙

themidge

by themidge

Thanks, I like it too.. funny that.. :wink:
I might've already written this here but when I got this frame it wasn't really what I was looking for, but it came up at a good price and was my size. Since then it's been through loads of upgrades both to itself and my cycling ability, and I've grown rather attached to it. For 2008 carbon it rides and handles very nicely and it's plenty light enough and takes wide enough tyres for me to ride as far into the future as I care to look right now :).
robbosmans wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:27 pm
An Xcadey is 100g
Bit late now! Less battery life anyway, and 60g isn't so much.
Last edited by themidge on Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

MiloAS

by MiloAS

That looks fantastic mate, I've always thought the look of a PM really ties a bike together - gives it another edge if you know what I mean. Congrats!

themidge

by themidge

Cheers man! I've always thought a power meter made a bike look really pro..

Speaking of looking pro, probably gonna get aero wheels next :wink: the Dura Ace c24 hubs I have lying around need a new life

themidge

by themidge

Well it's winter now, so here's how the bike rounded out the year before being put away until March ( :( ) I think it's around about 7.5kg with the bombproof wheels and PM, lardy I know.
Would've ridden it a bit longer, but then this happened:
The shifter and brake still sort of worked once I'd popped the lever back into the one remaining pivot point, but it was a bit dicey. Time to load up the massive Carradice saddle bag and go on a little trip back home to swap to the winter bike.
Same position, only it's an endurance geo frame in size 'S' (the cannondale is a 56!) so it looks a bit silly and handles differently, but overall it's not actually a bad bike. Picture taken before I got the PM on, had to wait for a BSA30 BB, so glad those exist even if they do cost £40.
Obviously the Carradice was just for travelling between home and uni, that certainly made the handling weird - very 'point and shoot' feeling to cornering.

Got some upgrades planned for the Cannondale over the off-season:
  • New shifter and the rear derailleur might need replacing before it does that Sram thing where the pully cage falls off, sticking to 10 speed for the moment
  • I was going to rebuild the rear Ambrosio Crono with Sapim Race spokes to replace the lasers, but when I took apart the wheel I found that the rim had cracked at one of the eyelets :evil:, so instead I did some calculations and have decided to reuse the spokes and hubs with some Kinlin XR22t's or TB20's, will be almost 1500g for the set, but at this point I just want some fairly light, stiff, reliable wheels that aren't 1850g like my open pros.
  • I can't decide whether the above alloy wheels should be clincher or tubs, but at some point I'm going to build a set of 38 or 50mm carbon tubs with the nice shiny Dura Ace hubs I have lying around from my dead c24's. That's also why I'm sticking to 10s, both the DA hubs and my open pros are 10s only, and the B'twin has 10 speed 105.
  • Might finally get around to replacing some other heavy parts like those pedals (326g!!!!!), expander/top cap, seat clamp (got a heavy one since the light one broke),

themidge

by themidge

How many wheels have I gone through now? Three? The Wolber Profils were not stiff enough, the Ambrosio Cronos were okay but I kept breaking spokes and cracked the rear rim, hopefully this time I've finally got it right! Kinlin XR22t, 28h 2x/3x F/R, so clinchers this time rather than tubs, those are being saved for some 50mm carbon tubs on those Dura Ace 7900 hubs.
They both came in significantly under-weight (claimed 450g), which was very pleasing.
ImageImage
They built up very nicely, and I was able to reuse the same Sapim Laser spokes from before by changing the front from radial to 2x and the rear from 2x to 3x.
1451.5g for the set, with a small piece of Tesa 51608 tape over each spoke hole, as far as I know this is the lightest rim tape solution at ~1g per wheel.
ImageImage
My thinking for this wheelset was to split the difference between the stiff, durable, and importantly clincher but very heavy Mavic Open Pro's, and the light, great riding, but flimsy Ambrosio tubs. These wheels are nice and stiff, pretty light, and I'm comfortable riding them in the grubby, bumpy back lanes far from the latest train station.
Here's the build as it is right now.
I should update the thread title, sub 6.5kg went out the window with the power meter and these wheels, but I'm sure I can claw it back to sub 6.8 with new pedals, expander, etc.
It's been on one ride just to test it out even though it's winter, felt great, got very grubby, now put away until spring.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

love it! p2max-pm is an excellent choice!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com