Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Peeza21

by Peeza21

themidge wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:43 pm
Peeza21 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:35 pm

If you haven’t already ordered them, I have a brand new unused set of gear ilinks from my build. Never needed them as I went to etap. They are black and come as new from the factory with all cables and bits and bobs
Sounds good, as I mentioned above I'm on holiday at the mo but I'll PM you when I get back :D . Mind you, are they the minis? They seem to be a bit of a hassle and it would seem sensible to have the ability to chop and change spares etc. between all the cables rather than isolating each type.

Not mini's, standard size, in Black
Cannondale Systemsix Ultegra 2020 8)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=160844

J00P

by J00P

You need to get some Ti skewers (from planetX or aliexpress or .bay ) cost ~$25
These weigh only ~45gr vs. 125 gr standard skewers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

themidge

by themidge

Good shout. Though I really like the strong action of the Dura Aces, they are really heavy and I doubt lighter ones would be put under much stress by me! :D
Ti ones have gone on the upgrade spreadsheet for now.
Last edited by themidge on Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

themidge

by themidge

Update! I ordered a bunch of parts that I still need yesterday (not cables though, PM sent to Peeza) and my seatclamp came very quickly :D .
Unfortunately, it came in severely overweight :(:
It's an Aerozine one, and should have been about 8 grams. Looks good though.
Last edited by themidge on Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

themidge

by themidge

My super-weight-weenie bar tape came today! It's Tesa 51608 tape, dunno what it's actually for (something to do with electrics?), but it's very light:
A whole 25 meter roll weighs less than my current bar tape :thumbup: .

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

themidge wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:54 pm
My super-weight-weenie bar tape came today!
Did you ride it yet? I'm torn between Deda and this kind of tape, a mere 20g will determine if the bike gets below 6.4kg or not. By the way, I think it's used to braid electrical cables together without any squeaks, for example in cars.

themidge

by themidge

The bike (such as it is) is in complete bits, so I haven't ridden any of it, let alone the bar tape :D. I don't know how thick Deda's stuff is, but this Tesa tape looks very thin, with perhaps a tiny bit of cushioning. It's hard to tell when it's in a roll, but I think it will be fine with gloves on, or on smooth roads without. I have very thin (like, predating padding) bar tape on my Vitus, which I love. It makes the bars thinner and nicer to grip IMO.
If it's going to be the difference between 6.3xx and 6.4 kg then I say go for it.

themidge

by themidge

More stuff arrived this last weekend, I only need some crank spacers and bearing shields and I should be good to go :D.
JRC front derailleur clamp for braze on FD's thingy. It's carbon, so obviously there are no hinges anywhere, just the gap where you clamp the FD on... Am I just supposed to bend it?? It seems a little unwilling to go all the way round my seat tube. I don't want to break it, but there seems no other way.
Hylix carbon seatpost, a bit heavy cos it's 31.6mm across, but it needs cutting down anyway so hopefully it will go sub-200g.
I might be able to finish this build for the 2 weeks of exam leave I get with no exams in it :D, maybe, probably not.
Last edited by themidge on Tue May 15, 2018 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

themidge

by themidge

Moar updates! Packages from Wiggle and @Peeza21 arrived, with some more goodies for me :D. The gubbins I need for my cranks are in the post, so I either have, or will have soon, all of the parts I need for this build!
Alligator iLinks outers and liners (before installation, after weights and the weight that's on the bike to follow when I actually build this thing up):
Alligator inner brake cables:
Shimano stainless inner brake cables:
They seem a bit heavy, perhaps I'll upgrade to some fancier ones next time.

Some Lifeline inner tubes that I got to make the order eligible for free postage, I needed some anyway:
Yeah, they're super heavy, and cheap.
The accompanying Haribos didn't last long enough to be weighed :D:

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Brief review as you mention Tesa tape. First impressions - it's really thin and really light - and cheap!

Looks-wise it's definitely not the best (personally that's Fizik Superlight IMO), but much nicer than using no tape. At 9-10 grams depending on how much overlap you do, you won't get a better weight using tape, although Deda is perfectly good at a 20g penalty.

I do miss normal bar tape when in the drops when I'm using Tesa, as it just feels a bit small compared to what I'm used to. Obviously there's no cushioning whatsoever, but as I use Spesh BG gel gloves, I get by without too much issue.

themidge

by themidge

Thanks for the review, I was wondering whether it would be too harsh because of the lack of padding. I wear moderately padded 'crochet mitts' so I should be okay. I've decided I really like the thin tape on my Vitus (it predates padding in bar tape) because of the way you can allow the drops to rotate in your grip when swinging the bike. Padded, rubber, slightly sticky tape doesn't seem to do that.
You're right though, it looks a bit odd, but it looks light :D.

themidge

by themidge

All the gubbins I needed for my cranks arrived over the weekend, which were* the last pieces of the puzzle.
Cannondale Si BB30 bearing shields:
And two Rotor 3D+ crank spacers, 11.5mm width on each side of the BB:
They both (and the crank spacers especially) seem a little overweight for what they are, but I'll take it if it means I'll be able to actually ride this bike :D.

* Seeing as my Ciamillos didn't come with any, I was going to use the brake nuts from my old b"twin brakes. However, I tried it just to see, and the front one it too short, so I've managed to convince myself I need some super-light (-ish) titanium ones (in the right length) which are on their way.

themidge

by themidge

Okay, finally I have received the last thing I needed to order/didn't already have. There have been a lot more small parts needed that I didn't initially consider.
'Lightening' titanium brake nuts, dropped 2.5g from the steel b'twin ones and will actually fit my frame :D.
I should be able to start building this thing up over the coming weekend, and it should be finished by the one after that definitely. Fingers crossed everything works and I haven't forgotten something!

Peeza21

by Peeza21

Really looking forward to seeing this completed. Well detailed build! Any idea of a rough final weight?
Cannondale Systemsix Ultegra 2020 8)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=160844

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

themidge

by themidge

Thank you, I'm looking forward to it being finished too! The finished (if you can ever call a bike finished) weight will be around 7.2kg depending on cables. This is certainly not a WW build in the normal way, in fact it's a bit of a mismatch of some very light parts (ciamillos, iLinks, FD & clamp) and some pretty heavy ones (105 shifters & RD, frame is pretty heavy) so there will be some upgrades later on to get rid of unnecessary weight :D.
My seat post was too long of the frame (it didn't hit the bottle cage bolts, so I can only assume the tube got narrower), so I got it cut down. Saved some weight whilst at it:
Brings the weight down to 177.5g, not bad for a £40 post.

Whatever the final weight, I'll be happy so long as it's, as in the thread title, lighter than my old bike which is like 9kg or something :P .