Cannondale Supersix 2008

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Whew! Those blue tires would have been horrible.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

reedplayer

by reedplayer

good looking bike, clean and timeless.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

themidge

by themidge

^Thanks :D

I put the new rear tyre on this evening, and it came up at 22mm!! We'll see how it rides, but I hope I can get a 25 next time.
It is slightly depressing seeing a new gum-wall (rear) tyre next to an old one (front):
:( :P

themidge

by themidge

Well, as expected, my Tesa tape is starting to show wear; I don't think it likes the wet too much, and obviously it's very thin to start with.
As you can see, it has a bit of a hole in it where my palm must rub it a bit, as well as looking a little thin on the drops.
The rest has plenty of life in it though, so I just wrapped a new bit over the hole:
It's barely noticeable, and probably just replaces all the weight lost by wear and tear, so there's no need to count the grams :D.

themidge

by themidge

I just re-read @Fuchspk's awesome build thread for his Stevens, and was inspired by his tool tuning to have a go myself!
Here are all the bits of the original multi tool:
And here's just the new tool:
Who wouldn't refuse a 33.5 gram saving?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

So... yes ... a few grams saved on your multitool there @Themidge. But tell me, do you really think you’re going to be able to generate enough leverage to tighten down that slipping Cannondale post with that thing and no handle?
Or might it be a case of “gram saved, kg foolish”?;
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

themidge

by themidge

At least I won't strip any bolts :-P

themidge

by themidge

Calnago wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:58 pm
...generate enough leverage to tighten down...
Well, after having to adjust my saddle today (saddle clamp, not seatpost clamp), it has become clear that I am in absolutely no danger of stripping any bolts at all, or even tightening them properly.
But I am not to be deterred! Here, on a rather frustratingly narrow cupboard top, amongst the dusty Lego, we can see the aftermath of my tinkering:
And here is the result, a few grams gained, but a lot more leverage:
I had to put two longer ones on so I always have a long lever, even when using on of the long ones on a bolt. I can't put a handle because the through-bolt is too short, but that would add more weight than this has anyway.
In other news, I went for a ride in the rain, and my beautifully pristine new gum-wall back tyre now looks like the front one :(.

themidge

by themidge

There was some really nice light yesterday evening, so I took out my (slightly mucky, but we'll call it art) pride and joy to see what I could do with the old family point 'n' shoot camera :D. Mega photo dump incoming!
And here's the one I took as the wind blew the bike over! -

themidge

by themidge

Bought some handlebars, 3T prima 199's, that I don't need and can't fit without a new stem :D.
But they are light! Especially for alloy, 65 grams lighter than my current Ritchey WCS neo-classics
The shape is about as early 2000's as road bars get, and I really like classic bend bars which are pretty much the polar opposite of these, so it'll be interesting to see how they feel. It might be a while before I try them though, winter is approaching and this bike will get cannibalised of the shifters, RD, chain, cassette and chainrings, which will go back on the crusty old B'twin :) .

Konsta

by Konsta

I really like this bike!

Peeza21

by Peeza21

Will you be looking to add a more permanent groupset through winter? Ready for the summer.
Cannondale Systemsix Ultegra 2020 8)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=160844

themidge

by themidge

Thanks @Konsta :) Your bike is rather nice as well :thumbup:

@Peeza21 Yes, hopefully. I have a great long list of upgrades I want to make to this bike, but the biggest two are wheels and groupset in that order. For wheels I plan to build myself some alloy clinchers which should be about 1300g, then onto sourcing some Sram Red 10 speed (pre 2012 design change) shifters, RD, and cassette (my DA FD should still work) to which I'll do a bit of light tuning*. Ideally I won't be using 105 5700 on my best bike for too much longer! Even if it is only the shifters, RD, and a Tiagra cassette at this point :D.
Other upgrades for the future include:
  • syntace f99 stem to go with the 3T prima bars, should have a ~310g cockpit with that setup, not bad for alloy
  • take all the paint off and gloss clear-coat the bare carbon
  • while doing that, put a downtube shifter mount on for the FD (it'll only save ~50g, but I think it's cool :? 8) )
  • new chainrings, seat post/saddle, bottle cages, garmin mount, etc.
Plenty to be getting on with! This Supersix frame is pretty heavy, but I like it so much the only thing I'd change it for would be a Stevens SLC (like @fuchspk's) or something like a custom Crumpton

*sand the shift & brake levers and the RD pulley cage, mostly for aesthetics. Perhaps I'll get a dremel and attack the RD body and put holes in the shift paddles :twisted:.

Peeza21

by Peeza21

themidge wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:23 am

[*]take all the paint off and gloss clear-coat the bare carbon
Stripping the frame of paint?
Cannondale Systemsix Ultegra 2020 8)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=160844

Abramspo

by Abramspo

Bianchi10 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:55 pm
I got my UD carbon fiber cages on ebay. 2 cages for $22 shipped to my door. I think it took 10 days from China, but they are fantastic. 15g each and have yet to loose a bottle.

Here is a link to a bunch:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw= ... 2749.l2658
Thanks for the link.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com