63cm CAAD10 build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

poursuivant

by poursuivant

Nice! Thanks for reading and the helpful suggestions guys.

I’m already below my target weight so very pleased. This forum is a great resource and inspired me to try out a CAAD10 in the first place.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

I don’t think I could even get my legs over that thing

Nice build however, I’m a big fan of Caad series bikes. And this is a conservative build that will perform.

If you haven’t ridden the KCNC brakes yet, expect a “bit” of a performance drop with them. The Ultegra brakes are quite a lot stronger, KCNC are light and pretty but they are not stiff. After a few rides you adjust how you use the brakes and you don’t notice it anymore.

Next goal: 7000gm
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

poursuivant

by poursuivant

Thanks! 👍 this was a budget build (<$1500) with modest goals and I think I’ve done okay.

I’m really enjoying the CAAD10 so far, so much so my Propel is being completely neglected.

I’m considering selling my Propel and the caad will become my new everything bike .. but what to complement it with?

poursuivant

by poursuivant

Well my CAAD is fast becoming my favourite so I will be selling my Propel. Not sure what I’ll replace it with yet.

I had one of the Ti bolts on the seatpoat break, I think I overtightened it by accident while adjusting my saddle (TT saddle slammed all the way forward doesn’t help either).

In case anyone wondered here’s some fit measurements of my CAAD -

Frame size 63cm :

Top tube - 60cm

Head tube - 22cm

15mm FSA Carbon top cap, no spacers.

Centre of B.B. to top of saddle - 87.5cm

Nose of saddle to centre of bars - 64.5cm

Top of saddle to centre of bars - 15cm

Pretty standard numbers for a rider of my size I think. I left the front end a bit higher of this bike compared to my Propel which is very comfortable especially for climbing.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Don’t replace the Propel. Blow all the money on the CAAD haha
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

outnumbered

by outnumbered

poursuivant wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:42 am
In case anyone wondered here’s some fit measurements of my CAAD -

Centre of B.B. to top of saddle - 87.5cm

Nose of saddle to centre of bars - 64.5cm

Top of saddle to centre of bars - 15cm

Pretty standard numbers for a rider of my size I think. I left the front end a bit higher of this bike compared to my Propel which is very comfortable especially for climbing.
I'm the same height as you. Obviously the BB to saddle height depends a bit on shoes/cleats/pedals and crank length, but I have my saddle at 850mm with 175mm cranks using Keo pedals. I notice that you have your saddle quite markedly sloping downwards, which is unusual, so maybe you could consider reducing the height a bit, and allowing the saddle to be flatter, which would presumably also avoid a tendency to slip off the front of it ?

poursuivant

by poursuivant

Oh that’s all fixed now. I only have about a 2 degree tilt. It was all ass backward in the photos.

The highest part of the saddle is not where I typically sit hence slightly misleading. I think I’m at about 860 where my sit bones engage.

Thanks mate.

I’m hoping my stem and brakes arrive this week.

I decided to replace my Propel with .. another Propel! Hopefully that changeover occurs this weekend.

I’m upgrading from my Propel Advanced to the Advanced 2 model with full carbon OS2 fork and P-SLR 50mm carbon/alloy clinchers, plus it also has carbon aero bars.

Between this and the CAAD this covers most bases. Maybe one day in the future I can convince myself I need a cyclocross bike too.

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Lovely build! Got the same size frame and saddle height. I’m at 86.4 in saddle height.

Here is a picture of mine sitting at 6.99 :mrgreen:

poursuivant

by poursuivant

I love your build, if only I had the budget!

Those wheels :thumbup: and it’s properly slammed!

I will probably slamthatstem next summer if I get the time to start doing crits. For now I quite happy with 15cm of drop for long rides.

Really love that build man..

poursuivant

by poursuivant

48F443F3-3FE5-4C48-A112-463D25DE16A7.jpeg
6117D9AE-D0E3-415F-9281-E55B9E72F284.jpeg
The KCNC brakes arrived yesterday and I fitted them this morning with Swisstop pads.

They look great and are crazy light. The bike now sits at 7.45kg .. I checked the weight 3 times to make sure.

Still to come is the uno stem and replacement Ti bolts for the seatpost.

That’s where the bike will stay I think as I have just got another bike which will be getting a bit of a makeover also.

poursuivant

by poursuivant

Last upgrade arrived today!

Kalloy UNO stem in 130mm, 119g with stainless hardware! I can’t believe how well made and light these are for $26 aud.
0350041B-1777-4D70-97E5-D7B79D3DB80F.jpeg
Weighed in at 111g with Ti bolts.

Final weight is 7390g with Garmin mount and cadence sensor!
5B12AF5F-85CB-4FBC-BADD-5308DA1EAF3B.jpeg

JerryLook

by JerryLook

You can take the Uno logo off with a little bit of acetone on a cloth. That’s what I did with my Uno stems. Mine had a big number 7 on both sides though. Your logo is more subtle.

The Uno stems are great. I have had them on 3 bikes now. You can’t beat the gram/dollar on them.
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

poursuivant

by poursuivant

Cheers I’m debating whether or not to lose the logos.

I’ll definitely try some lightweight tubes at some point to try and get it to 7.3kg even but I think I’m pretty pleased with that until I finish my Propel build then I’ll check eBay and see if Dura Ace 9000 stuff is getting cheaper 😃

poursuivant

by poursuivant

Changed to an 11-25t cassette as I felt an 11-28t wasn’t really needed with a compact crankset and dropped 50g!

7.340kg now and the temptation to try some ultra light inner tubes again is there to get to 7.2xx!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

poursuivant

by poursuivant

I’m contemplating an interesting change for the bike.

While we were planning a bike build for my friend (an older cinelli experience rebuild) he picked up a cheap sram red 10spd group, in immaculate condition.
It looks to be 2010-2011 spec. It’s hard to tell for me with sram groups. It has the one piece 1090 cassette.

He then decided to get a caad12 frame and not use the cinelli so the older group won’t really suit. I’ve offered him my Ultegra 6800.

I could run the red with BB30 cranks on the CAAD10 and surely hit <7kg.

I love 11 speed but it’s not essential, and I’ve always wanted to try sram so it should be an interesting experiment.