Canyon ultimate SLX CF Disc build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

rolfo

by rolfo

Hi Fellow bikers,

I'm having a canyon ultimate slx cf disc frameset (small) coming my way.
Planning is to build it with a Sram Etap group.

Because I weigh 70 Kg's, I think I won't need a very heavy wheels set, and as I'm coming from a Notubes Alpha 340 rims with a titanium frame I would prefer with a "soft ride", a set which is not too harsh.

I'm thinking of a wheelset with Duke baracara 35 SLS rims paired with Dt 240 classic CL hubs or Hope RS SP cl hubs, with Sapim Cx-ray spokes.
But I cannot decide on the hubs ;-)

What kind of allround (more climbing) wheels would you advice? Pre factory build would be also an option for me.
And why seem road disc wheels heavier than Mtb disc wheels?

Best regards Rolf
Last edited by rolfo on Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rolfo

by rolfo

I'm the only one here, or are the other canyon owners with problems of the finish of their frames?

First I got a frameset with scrathes to the fork. So a new fork
Seccond the fork didn't match the frame color... So a new frameser
Thrird I got a new frameset, but there already a small paint chip on the (new..) fork and the frame had a strange lump on the downtube...

Any experience with this?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JayUK

by JayUK

Hi there,

I cant comment about lumps, but an imperfect colour/finish is common/standard on their "unpainted" frames. I've had a few chat with their customer services about the finish, they stated that as their bikes are not painted, the imperfections from the mould/layup/etc can/will happen and be seen. They have a webpage on the subject (struggling to find the link). The issue is not unique to Canyon, other manufacturers who produce raw/unpainted carbon frames also experience this (although not all).

J.

nonamed

by nonamed

rolfo wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:35 pm
I'm the only one here, or are the other canyon owners with problems of the finish of their frames?

Thrird I got a new frameset, but there already a small paint chip on the (new..) fork and the frame had a strange lump on the downtube...

Have heared about Canyons frame finish issues... hope they will ever improve their QC....

Did You end up with the new frameset or returned it again...?

rolfo

by rolfo

JayUK wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:55 pm
Hi there,

I cant comment about lumps, but an imperfect colour/finish is common/standard on their "unpainted" frames. I've had a few chat with their customer services about the finish, they stated that as their bikes are not painted, the imperfections from the mould/layup/etc can/will happen and be seen. They have a webpage on the subject (struggling to find the link). The issue is not unique to Canyon, other manufacturers who produce raw/unpainted carbon frames also experience this (although not all).

J.
This frame is painted in a silver color (" Jett Silver"), zo inperfecetions shouldn't be visible.

rolfo

by rolfo

nonamed wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:20 pm
rolfo wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:35 pm

Have heared about Canyons frame finish issues... hope they will ever improve their QC....

Did You end up with the new frameset or returned it again...?
After some discussion, they sugested to exchange the whithout the option for another swap. So the next one is only to be returned not to be exchanged. I hope I get some luck to have a frame with a great finish.

rolfo

by rolfo

An update, I recieved a new frame, and this one looks ok ;-) The finish of the fork is slightly different, but not as different as the combo I cieved before.
And the weights a r bit more as promised:

Fork 361 gram (plug installed) 325 claimed (without plug)
Frame 821 gram (removed cage bolts and fr. derr. clamp) 820 claimed in medium

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com