Colnago C64 - Inside and Out

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

guyc

by guyc

Which is exactly what I’d say if I wanted to sell as many as possible right now.

r4nd0mv4r14bl3

by r4nd0mv4r14bl3

Great thread. Thanks for the photos.

Do you think the new cable guides in the BB may be the reason they dropped the single piece metal sleeve? I.e. there would be no room inside for full length sleeve.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

nismosr

by nismosr

Calnago wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:19 am

Here's the raw carbon look on the top tube of the frame I was looking at...

ImageC60 by nismosr, on Flickr

Ghibliultra

by Ghibliultra

I don’t know how you get new frame so quickly, but thanks for the sharing and nice photos. Really helpful! Great post!! :)

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

Really useful thread thanks calnago.

I’m still undecided whether to get an F10 or C64 (sizes 59.5 & 58s respectively). My current bike is an s works tarmac (61cm), and from geo charts alone it looks like I can get both those frames to fit similar to my current set up. Although I hasten to add, I won’t buy the frame of geo charts alone. Particularly as I’m not super confident on Colnago fit in general and I may fit a 56s. It is a real shame that Colnago don’t still offer the traditional geometry as that would of made my decision a little easier I think.

SuperDomestique

by SuperDomestique

TurboTommy wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:13 pm
Really useful thread thanks calnago.

I’m still undecided whether to get an F10 or C64 (sizes 59.5 & 58s respectively). My current bike is an s works tarmac (61cm), and from geo charts alone it looks like I can get both those frames to fit similar to my current set up. Although I hasten to add, I won’t buy the frame of geo charts alone. Particularly as I’m not super confident on Colnago fit in general and I may fit a 56s. It is a real shame that Colnago don’t still offer the traditional geometry as that would of made my decision a little easier I think.
Shoot me a message or email and I can draw you a few cads of your setup on the Colnago sizes that work.

Calnago

by Calnago

@Nismosr... re your blue matte 3k... weave.... Exactly! I don't know how many grams they are saving by not doing that, but whatever it is, I'd take 'em for the 3k weave instead of the raw look.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Calnago

by Calnago

Thanks for the comments all of you! I think I may be just getting started here. More to come.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Calnago

by Calnago

r4nd0mv4r14bl3 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:39 am
Great thread. Thanks for the photos.

Do you think the new cable guides in the BB may be the reason they dropped the single piece metal sleeve? I.e. there would be no room inside for full length sleeve.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Hmmm... good question. Might be sort of a chicken or the egg scenario, which came first? Do you think they thought... "Hey, we could add molded cable grooves into the bottom of our carbon lug, if that sleeve wasn't there", or did they think "Hey, now that we've reduced weight somewhat by removing the middle part of that sleeve, let's just add some cable grooves in there while we're at it". So, whether removing part of the sleeve to reduce weight was the primary driver or gettiing some molded cable guides in there was the primary driver, I have no idea... but this is the result. I really need to get in there with my new "hemostat" (love just saying that word, thanks @glepore), which I will somehow procure today, and then run some cables to know for sure. It does indeed look like a tricky, delicate operation. I live for those tasks, but I still really like Trek's molded cable guides on their Emonda... it's just so easy to run cables and get easy access without any faffing about with removing cranks and such. Ease of serviceability is also a big factor in my bike like/nolike decision making process. Kind of a big hole there however (in the Emonda), and I ended up putting the spindle sleeve back in the Bottom Bracket to protect my Super Record CULT bearings from the potential of large chunks of grit that could possibly find their way in.

nismosr

by nismosr

Calnago wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:24 pm
@Nismosr... re your blue matte 3k... weave.... Exactly! I don't know how many grams they are saving by not doing that, but whatever it is, I'd take 'em for the 3k weave instead of the raw look.
Cal unfortunately the PLLB was shipped yesterday to a new owner .. but the 3k weave is sexy though.

garypremo

by garypremo

I have a C60 in PLWH, 61 CM traditional geometry. I like the C64 lot and I would be interested in buying one if I did not already have a C60. I wish the C60 could fit 28 mm tires and I wish it matched the lower weight of the C64. Three minuses for me about the C64 are 1) no traditional geometry, 2) no PLWH and 3) no more 3k carbon weave. All in all I am still very happy with my C60 and glad that I got one of the last ones offered in traditional geometry.
2016 Colnago C60 PLWH 61 CM Traditional Geometry

guyc

by guyc

I read today that’s a good deal of the weight loss is down to the move from 3k to UD.

If that’s the case there’s zero chance of 3k coming back.

Calnago

by Calnago

I'm never selling my MTBK C59.
The moment I saw the MTBK, even though just in the catalog, I knew I wanted it and placed my order for it. That was in 2010, delivery didn't happen till 2011. But here's a prime example of, if you see a finish or color scheme you like in a Colnago, just get it. Because you may not have another chance. Actually, that's the same rationale that led me to get the Trek Koppenberg, except with the Koppenberg it was more about the actual bike underneath the paint, not knowing if that bike would ever be available again in that configuration once Cancellara was gone. That Viper Red Team Issue paint is pretty darn cool too. Glad I bit the bullet, for both of the above examples.
Last edited by Calnago on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

c60rider

by c60rider

Having bought my first ever Colnago 18 months with my C60 MHFC I realise it will be a bike I will never want to sell. It's perhaps the last Colnago they will make that isn't trying to cut down weight somewhere and in the C64 it looks like the carbon weave is what's been lost. A couple of hundred grammes is neither here or there really and for the pro teams they have the V2-R to use as a lightweight bike. It does seem like a very subtle evolution over the C60 so I won't feel I'm missing out by not having one.

But I'm really enjoying this thread so thanks to the efforts of Cal who contributes hugely to this site. :beerchug:

by Weenie

Calnago

by Calnago

I don’t think anyone should feel they are being left out in the cold just because they don’t want to get the new C64 or that they like their current Colnago, of whatever vintage and model, better. That’s part of the beauty of Colnago bicycles. They never really go out of “style”. Someone currently wants to buy my C50. At first I said, “Sure, why not, I’m hardly ever riding it anymore”, I’m not getting any younger, and I need to squirrel away some jack so I can eat when I’m older. But then I look at that bike, it’s like part of the family. I sold my C40 to get the first C50 when it came out. That was then. Now I regret it. And I still wish I had a yellow art decor steel Master with the chromed stays because that’s really when my love for Colnagos began. I was at the top of Col du Croix de Fer and noticed this sparkling yellow MasterLight sitting aside the rocks. I just stared at it. It was so beautiful. I had my first custom steel bike painted yellow because of how beautiful I remembered that Master to be. Unfortunately, the yellow on my custom bike came out this sickly mustard color. It didn’t even come close to the memory of that MasterLight. And neither did the bike. It was the proverbial farm gate. Ha.
Last edited by Calnago on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.