Colnago C64 - Inside and Out

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

parleez1

by parleez1

Thank you for the great feedback. From the sizing information provided it sounds like I am also on track with a 54H as I’m 5’11” with a 33” inseam, also 62 years old and don’t have that old flexibility.
I still stuck between a rim brake and disc brake frame. If I do rim then I’d take the Scram Red 22 etap group off my current bike and transfer over as well as my current wheels, if disc I basically need a complete new group and wheels. Any feedback on rim vs. disc C64 is appreciated. Weight differences, handling, looks. Never owned a disc bike and where I live in MA. I don’t ride mountains or much in the rain, but everyone talks about how great disc brakes work. I’d say my main concern with rim brakes are the braking capabilities withmy carbon fiber rims and wearing out the braking surface. With discs I’m concerned with the many issues that could result with maintenance of the disc any the system. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Parleez1

LewisK

by LewisK

parleez1 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:49 am
Thank you for the great feedback. From the sizing information provided it sounds like I am also on track with a 54H as I’m 5’11” with a 33” inseam, also 62 years old and don’t have that old flexibility.
I still stuck between a rim brake and disc brake frame. If I do rim then I’d take the Scram Red 22 etap group off my current bike and transfer over as well as my current wheels, if disc I basically need a complete new group and wheels. Any feedback on rim vs. disc C64 is appreciated. Weight differences, handling, looks. Never owned a disc bike and where I live in MA. I don’t ride mountains or much in the rain, but everyone talks about how great disc brakes work. I’d say my main concern with rim brakes are the braking capabilities withmy carbon fiber rims and wearing out the braking surface. With discs I’m concerned with the many issues that could result with maintenance of the disc any the system. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Parleez1
Sounds like it's going to be a good weather bike - you'll have to do a crazy amount of K's to wear out your braking surfaces.

by Weenie

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

parleez1 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:49 am

Thanks,
Parleez1
Have you tried 54H and 52H? The seatpost will have alot more setback on the 54H version.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D

parleez1

by parleez1

Sounds like it's going to be a good weather bike - you'll have to do a crazy amount of K's to wear out your braking surfaces.
[/quote]

Yes, mostly a good weather bike.I don't know if that could ever happen, its only what I read about CF rims.

parleez1

by parleez1

Have you tried 54H and 52H? The seatpost will have alot more setback on the 54H version.
[/quote]

Yes, I'm aware that I'll have more setback with a 54H, but the extra headtube will also result in a shorter reach, but it will effectively give me the correct reach with an 11cm stem that I'm looking for.

LewisK

by LewisK

parleez1 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:36 pm
Yes, mostly a good weather bike.I don't know if that could ever happen, its only what I read about CF rims.
[/quote]

Well yes it is possible. From personal experience, you'd need to go some. I had a pair of Lightweight Meilensteins in 2013 and kept a track of Ks I'd ridden on them. After 30,000 they had no signs of wear. They were only used in dry weather and even then I still cleaned the pads and wiped down brake surface after most rides.

jwest

by jwest

MontpierBike wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:47 am
Hey Parleez1 - for what it's worth I'm in TN, US and ordered my C64 PJRD disc 52h week of June 28 2019 and it arrived at my Colnago dealer LBS week of Sept 30, including the factory August holiday closure.

Ordered my C64 BDRD disc 52h week of Nov 18 2019 (to replace a 10 yo Parlee Z3 which was no longer much fun to ride compared to my C64) and it arrived week of Feb 3, including Dec holiday closure.

As for fit: I'm 5'8" and fairly flexible for a 62 yo, but not quite as much I used to be, so the "h" geometry works well for me. I ride with 74.3 saddle height to BB center and using about 2cm spacers with 11cm stem. Posted a pic of the PJRD in this thread a couple months back.

Monicard - sounds like your significant other will be much happier with new bike and the BDRD metallic paint looks great (and easier to maintain than the matte finish IMO albeit probably with a slight weight penalty?)
Hi, fellow US person ;) I live in WA near Seattle but spend a lot of time in NC and ride the mountains there near Boone and Asheville.

I have a 54s PKBK (black on black) just arrived and am building this week. It's been a long time since getting a new bike so I'm pretty excited. I am 5-11, 34" inseam, long arm reach, 51 yrs old but flexible, though I like my neck to have a better position for longer rides though for brief times I am also fine with a pure race form in the drops, so, I am going to try the newer short reach and short drop bars, specifically the 3T superergo.

For reference my ideal old school C40 ideal size is a 58 with 56.5 top tube but this new modern frame in 54s will give me even more stack with almost the same reach so we shall see if I still use a 120 stem or 110.

I also have a 2012 pinarello prince in 57 i think, anyway same tt about 56.5 and compared geometries on a few different comparision calculators to be sure.

parleez1

by parleez1

jwest, we are close in height and inseam so similar geometry for a C64, but I think because of my less flexibiity a 54H will be more suitable as I rarely ride the drops, almost exclusively on the hoods. Would love to see apicture of your new bike/frame once you have a chance to post it. Did you get a rim or disc frame? What are you building it with?

Thanks

MontpierBike

by MontpierBike

Parleez1- I was also on the fence on disc vs rim as well as electronic vs mech. Been riding Campy for 30+ years so kind of used to their idiosyncracies (and price).

Took some time to get the hang of wheel changes with thru-axles and still a novice at any adjustments -- and will be having my LBS doing bleeding maintenance and pad replacement -- but I'm now sold on disc brakes. The braking is more consistent, especially with my carbon clincher tubeless wheels. But I am sometimes riding on wet roads or rain, and some twisty descents.

If you go disc with the C64, think you now need to also go with the Colnago SR9 stem to allow the internal disc brake routing which may be trickier for build and service but I prefer the convenience of handling and look (much more on this topic in this thread and elsewhere in the forum). And I do like the feel and fit of the Colnago R41 handlebars.

I'm not quite as fond of the electronic shifting; maybe I'm a luddite or it's a Campy EPS thing but still feel mech shifting more engaging and have enough devices to keep charged without worrying about my bike.

As for fit: if possible would strongly suggest going someplace where you can get a sense of any change in position in terms of stack height/reach and relative handlebar position with a demo bike with similar geometry or one of those adjustable size cycles. In retrospect my custom Z3 from 10 years back ended up with too high head tube/stack and not sure if it was the resulting front end geometry and/or my fore/aft weight distribution but the handling was too sluggish.

Jwest - enjoy the new bike. Just make sure you're cool with the position before cutting down the fork! With all the proprietary parts these days who knows if in 10 years time any replacements are available?

jwest

by jwest

parleez1 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:53 pm
jwest, we are close in height and inseam so similar geometry for a C64, but I think because of my less flexibiity a 54H will be more suitable as I rarely ride the drops, almost exclusively on the hoods. Would love to see apicture of your new bike/frame once you have a chance to post it. Did you get a rim or disc frame? What are you building it with?

Thanks
THank you for your interest ;) I'm beyond excited about it!!!

Rim brake which I am actually, 100% happy with as being superior in certain aspects and for my long term purpose. I ride and love disc braking on my mtn bikes so I am quite aware of how they feel but for road riding, I have never felt a need for more from even basic aluminum rims and single bolt mounted Campagnolo brakes even on my 10 spd record C40. So, I imagine the direct mount will be a noticeable improvement while retaining what I love about that design as well as on the frame.

Super Record 12 mechanical is my choice for long term purpose as well. While the EPS is intriguing, I wanted something that will work just as well in 10+ years not having to hope it's electronics are supported, etc.

Crank 34-50 compact, 172.5, 11-29 cassette

Bar: 3T Superergo LTD Stealth
Stem: 3T LTD stem I already have
Pedals: speedplay titanium "Ltd Edition Maglia Rosa" Pink
Saddle: Selle San Marco Aspide superleggera open carbon

Photos to follow....

parleez1

by parleez1

MontpierBike wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:36 am
Parleez1- I was also on the fence on disc vs rim as well as electronic vs mech. Been riding Campy for 30+ years so kind of used to their idiosyncracies (and price).

Took some time to get the hang of wheel changes with thru-axles and still a novice at any adjustments -- and will be having my LBS doing bleeding maintenance and pad replacement -- but I'm now sold on disc brakes. The braking is more consistent, especially with my carbon clincher tubeless wheels. But I am sometimes riding on wet roads or rain, and some twisty descents.

If you go disc with the C64, think you now need to also go with the Colnago SR9 stem to allow the internal disc brake routing which may be trickier for build and service but I prefer the convenience of handling and look (much more on this topic in this thread and elsewhere in the forum). And I do like the feel and fit of the Colnago R41 handlebars.

I'm not quite as fond of the electronic shifting; maybe I'm a luddite or it's a Campy EPS thing but still feel mech shifting more engaging and have enough devices to keep charged without worrying about my bike.

As for fit: if possible would strongly suggest going someplace where you can get a sense of any change in position in terms of stack height/reach and relative handlebar position with a demo bike with similar geometry or one of those adjustable size cycles. In retrospect my custom Z3 from 10 years back ended up with too high head tube/stack and not sure if it was the resulting front end geometry and/or my fore/aft weight distribution but the handling was too sluggish.

Jwest - enjoy the new bike. Just make sure you're cool with the position before cutting down the fork! With all the proprietary parts these days who knows if in 10 years time any replacements are available?
Sounds like a great build, pictures?
I intend to visit a local Colnago dealer to determine my correct size. The cost of buying just a rim brake frame and transfer from my current bike is about 50% of the cost of a complete disc brake bike, so far I can’t convince myself that I need disc Drake’s and it’s wirth the additional investment.

ms6073

by ms6073

ms6073 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:39 pm
For those with the newer model with the SR9 stem that allows for internal cable routing, curious what are the options for mounting a Di2 junction A when using 3rd party handlebars that don't allow for a bar end junction?
So nobody can answer this question? I have Enve SES carbon aero bars that allow internal routing but I would perfer to no cut off the end of the bar to accomdoate an EW-RS910 Internal Junction A.
Michael - The Anaerobic Threshold is neither...

MontpierBike

by MontpierBike

Just saw the very sad news elsewhere in the forum that Calnago, who so generously took the time to start this topic and share his passion and expertise, passed away last month. This thread provided so much invaluable guidance though my C64 purchase thought it most fitting to express my condolences and a big THANK YOU here.

jwest

by jwest

MontpierBike wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:11 am
Just saw the very sad news elsewhere in the forum that Calnago, who so generously took the time to start this topic and share his passion and expertise, passed away last month. This thread provided so much invaluable guidance though my C64 purchase thought it most fitting to express my condolences and a big THANK YOU here.
oh no!!!! Where is the info on this? It can happen to anyone but I am always surprised when I see it.

edorwart

by edorwart

I agree, this thread was a wealth of information that helped me complete this build, Calnago seemed to be a genuine guy, the real deal.

She is 6.78 kg (14.96 pounds) right now (swapped out the Sram brakes in the photo for EE direct mount)

I have a Clavicula SE coming in as well a Ti spindles for the Dura Ace pedals.

I might go with THM Fibula / Ulna upgrade too, not sure yet.

2019 Colnago C64 Art Decor Blue 54S
Sram eTap with XG-1190 11/28 Cassette
Campagnolo Bora Ultra 35 clinchers
Lightweight quick releases
Cane Creek EE direct mount brakes (installed after picture)
Ceramic Speed BB
Rotor 3D+ 175mm Crank 52/36 Rotor NoQ rings
Shimano PD-R9100 pedals
KMC X11SL DLC chain
Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Large (145m)
Jagwire Road Elite Link
Colnago ST41 120mm Stem
Colnago R41 42cm Bars
Lizard Skins bartape
28mm Contimental GP5000 tires
Silca Latex Tubes
Colnago Bottle Cages

upload images

by Weenie