Colnago C64 - Inside and Out

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Henryexige

by Henryexige

After reading this thread I finally made the plunge and my first Colnago and it is a C64. Cant wait to build it tomorrow.

Still can’t decide on Bright label or dark
Label WTO 45 yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LewisK

by LewisK

I think either would work! Post some pics when it’s done 😀

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nismosr

by nismosr

Henryexige wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:33 pm
After reading this thread I finally made the plunge and my first Colnago and it is a C64. Cant wait to build it tomorrow.

Still can’t decide on Bright label or dark
Label WTO 45 yet.

congrats ! 48s ? you think WTO 60 will be too tall for the C64 ?
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

Henryexige

by Henryexige

Is a 45s as 48s is sold out! 7kg with pedal and bottle cage.

It didn’t disappoint on maiden ride. WTO 60 seems a bit too high for my liking.

fogman

by fogman

I’m going to get a set of Bora WTO 45’s for my C64.

It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

Henryexige

by Henryexige

All the C64 owners here, anyone have this issue where the caliper is not open wide enough? Using Easton EC90 SL rim and the width is 27.5mm. The Dura Ace caliper seems cant open wide enough. I have to resort to using worn carbon pads in order to accommodate the wheel width.

MontpierBike

by MontpierBike

Here's WTO 45's on a C64 52H w/Campy SR12 EPS finally received last month. I'm not racing anymore -- doubt I would risk this in a pack -- but perfect for the hilly/rolling rural roads I'm riding these days.

Maybe not the lightest bike out there (with pedals, bottle cages and computer mount came in a bit above 7kg) but the geometry fits me perfectly and the handling is spot on.

Only glitch was mechanic had a bit of a challenge facing the frame mounts for rear caliber to align.

C64 IMG_1101 crop 2.jpg

kgt

by kgt

Perfect! WTOs with their UD carbon top layer match C64 frame better than Bora do.

LewisK

by LewisK

Looks brilliant! Not the lightest as you say, but it looks really nice and the wheels match that size frame very well!

Yoln

by Yoln

MontpierBike wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:27 am
Here's WTO 45's on a C64 52H w/Campy SR12
Wow, looks great!

Cable integration for the rear hydraulic brake is pretty impressive too (or is it just hidden from where the pic is taken?)

Makes me think about if anybody has ever worked on a cable integration project on a C64? (With a FSA Vision Metron 5D ACR or similar handlebars)
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

MontpierBike

by MontpierBike

Look closer, cable for rear brake is visible exiting the inner left chainstay, but otherwise runs internal from lever with exception of small portion from handlebar base into bottom stem plate.

This is my first experience with wider aero wheels -- weren't really prevalent or necessary in my mostly circuit races or pack rides from 20+ years back. WTO 45 wheels look good IMO and can really fly, but yes there is such a thing as "too" fast, despite being classified as only "medium profile". Had a really scary moment today on an off camber curvy descent which usually doesn't require any braking when I was wrestling through a pretty strong wind gust. Just ordered a spare set of lower profile Fulcrum Zero Carbon DB fpr days like this.

kgt

by kgt

No matter the design, the shape, the width etc. a higher profile wheel will always suffer in cross wind gusts. This is just physics.

Yoln

by Yoln

MontpierBike wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:34 am
Look closer, ...
Thanks, that's what I thought, looks great!

I'm considering the same setup, but with classic cable shifting (No EPS), do you believe there will be enough room in the stem and tube to fit all of these cables?
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

MontpierBike

by MontpierBike

Think this was addressed at some point in this thread -- Calnago provided great guidance on routing mech derailleur cables into down tube -- so please correct me if wrong but believe consensus was that routing mech cables through stem was not a good idea, given space constraints and the tight bends that would be required.

Actually I'm about to deal with this myself. I love the fit and handling of my C64 size 52h so much just ordered a second one in the Art Deco red. Would welcome feedback on installing flat mount mechanical disc calipers like the Paul Components Klamper with the internal routing??

Yeah, perhaps seems silly but I had recently upgraded my 10 year old custom Parlee Z3 with a 12 speed Record gruppo, but after riding the C64 for a month can't see myself ever wanting to ride the older bike. (I had wanted a bike more on the "stable" side but ended up with a bike that doesn't like to turn at all.). So putting the older 11 speed Campy Record back on the Parlee to sell it.

After looking for another bike to mount the fairly new Campy 12 Record, have not found a similar stock geometry among any of the top manufacturers; those with similar reach have a low stack that would require a lot of spacers and those with optimum stack have too long reach. Yes, I could go custom but cost would probably be not far off from C64, and like the Parlee not handle as well.

Having a back-up bike that I also love to ride with low profile wheels for rainy or windy days is clearly nice-to-have. Also being mechanical is probably a plus for travel as servicing Campy EPS is likely a challenge in most places (except perhaps UK & Italy?) just in case.

Was planning on getting rim brakes but since I'd have to replace the calipers anyway -- the old Parlee obviously was not 'direct mount' brakes -- my mechanic suggested going with mech disc brakes that could still use my Campy Record levers but also have wheels I could swap between the 2 bikes. So would have (for better or worse) disc brake performance without potential hassle of bleeding hydraulics after a plane trip and, at least for me, the more easily handled potential mech cable issues.

So, unless I missed a post in Calnago's great thread: what do you think of routing cables for mechanical disc through the stem, assuming using high quality non-compressible housing and the derailleur cables would be going to downtube (not through stem)?

Thoughts?

Seedster

by Seedster

The red art decor c64 looks sublime and is a very nice back up bike. I would recommend you spend the money and go for H12 hydraulic disc rather than mechanical disc. You will have to change the shifters and brakes, but can carry over cranks and derailleurs. SR 12 EPS Disc has been trouble free from me but I have not traveled with it yet. I hope to do so next year. I recommend giving it a shot because it gives you the opportunity to hide all the cables. Campagnolo disc brake system is my favorite compared to Shimano (2nd) and SRAM (3rd) and mechanical hydro TRP picks up the rear. I have briefly ridden a mechanical disc and it wasnt a good experience.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com