Colnago C64 - Inside and Out

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

TheKaptone

by TheKaptone

Well it is finally in my possession. I have had a quick ride and it feels great. Looking fwd to getting out tomorrow morning to have a decent go.

I am not a WW I was just very lucky that my insurance gave me this frame as a replacement. Very excited man here ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Glad you finally got your bike, but I do question the setup at the front end. Is that how you yourself wanted it, or the people setting it up for you wanted it? I don’t know if you have any physical limitations which will always override most other aspects of fit/bike setup, but do you think you could still ride it comfortably if you were to, for starters, rotate the handlebars way forward so that where you place your hands on the hoods is approximately level with where the tops of the bars where they meet the stem?
I can see that the lean of the bike and angle of the photograph isn’t helping things here, but even a straight on photo with a leveled bike seems like the levers would still be higher than your saddle and positioned at quite an awkward angle to boot.
Is that a 56s frame by the way? And what’s your saddle height in that pic?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JKolmo

by JKolmo

Wow, flip stem rotate handlebar!

welchy

by welchy

Jesus wept, if that's your position then you should've got a custom bike rather than a c64.. How do you brake on the drops?!

Leviathan

by Leviathan

why not just put some butterfly bars on it and be done with.
www.thingsthatarewrong.com

TheKaptone

by TheKaptone

I was unsure if i should post a pic of the bike once i got it. I was booked in for a bike fit a week after i crashed my old bike because i could not get it to fit 100% right. The way it is set now is how i had my old setup so the shop tried to copy it as best they could for me. I would love to have had a custom build and TBH i didnt even know there was a C64 until I was told that this is the replacement frame they were giving me. So after some googling i came across this thread and read it all to give myself and idea of what i was getting and thanks to Calnago's detailed review i was pumped. Jesus may well have wept but it would have been tears of joy that i was not more seriously injured when i came off. I was not even in the market for a new frame until needs must.

I have attempted to make adjustments in the past only to put things really out of whack hence why i am going to have a proper fitting done by a guy here in Adelaide who comes highly recomeded. Just going to ride it as is for a while until i have some bike fitness back then it will be done.

The main reason for posting thie picture was because if you read back to see how long I have waited for this bike to be ready it was a its finally here picture.Btw the bike is super quiet and really smooth to ride, it was a very enjoyable first ride

KCookie

by KCookie

Im in Adelaide to, I know Bike Society in Blair Athol do bike fits, where are you getting yours please. I'm in two minds about getting one.

TheKaptone

by TheKaptone

KCookie wrote:Im in Adelaide to, I know Bike Society in Blair Athol do bike fits, where are you getting yours please. I'm in two minds about getting one.
KCookie I am going to go to elbowsakimbow. Had a few riders(mates) recommend Anthony to me. He is located in Hyde Park.

welchy

by welchy

TheKaptone wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:38 am
KCookie wrote:Im in Adelaide to, I know Bike Society in Blair Athol do bike fits, where are you getting yours please. I'm in two minds about getting one.
KCookie I am going to go to elbowsakimbow. Had a few riders(mates) recommend Anthony to me. He is located in Hyde Park.

No no, you misunderstand. I have read your thread and the information. If that is the bike shop replicating your old setup which was correct for you then they have sold you the wrong sized frame and bike. This isn't me meaning to dig at you, but without some stark truths you have bought a superbike when with the correct sized frame and fit a specialized allez or bike 1/5th of the value would be far better matched and faster with drag and so on.

Also, the bar position you have is just wrong, flat-out. I am by no means some expert, but ergonomically this is not how bike and bars were designed as well as levers so you will be suffering biomechanically and mechanically.

The C64 is a sublime bike, handling, ride comfort the lot. But you have just shafted that all with the current setup and will reap none of the benefits of a superb bike. My advice, get a bikefit asap. But if that is comfortable for you - you could be in for a shock when they tell you (albeit reluctanctly) that you purchased the wrong sized frame/bike.

guyc

by guyc

By way of comparison - how my 56s looks vs yours:

What Welchy says above is right - not a personal dig at all!

welchy

by welchy

That is just beautiful - i've just dropped my stem another 10mm with surprising comfort, enve stem going on too. Colour of the S Works walls works very very well, i find the vittoria tan wall too light..

guyc

by guyc

Cheers - it's in hospital today after an off yesterday #sadface

TheKaptone

by TheKaptone

Thanks for the replies. I am getting a fit done post haste. When it was going through insurance they asked me to measure the old bike and then they said this is the bike your getting. I had no choice in the matter and in a way had this thrust on me. I know it's a super bike and I intend to get it right. I just hope it is not going to cost me way to much

I will post some photos when it's done...... properly

BTW I was sure none of it was personal I had just had my first ride that's all and that photo shows how out things are

Last edited by TheKaptone on Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

r4nd0mv4r14bl3

by r4nd0mv4r14bl3

A quick headset related question. Seen in the pic, centering ring on the left and headset cap on the right.

Should there be a washer between the two when assembled or not? I am just wondering whether I have lost the washer or that it never existed for C64.

Thanks!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I’ve never seen anything like that piece on the left. It looks almost as if it could be the top piece of the headset itself but without the bearing, but that makes no sense. Did this come with a brand new unbuilt C64 as part of the extra hardware packaging etc? Normally, there would be the beveled compression ring (made of some non metal material), with a thin shim above that followed by either the short top cap or the tall one (shown in your pic on the right). Got a pic of the top of your headset/bearing as it currently sits in your frame? And what kind of frame do you have, one for totally integrated internal routing or what? There may be some different designs there, but I just haven’t seen them yet.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com