Colnago C64 - Inside and Out

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

frommel

by frommel

Beautiful. As a new C64 ETap convert, I agree this is an awesome bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheKaptone

by TheKaptone

samuelcfadams1986 wrote:
TheKaptone wrote:
samuelcfadams1986 wrote:Just got my C64 finished, very happy with it. Some interesting differences to me C60.At some point down the line I'd like to upgrade to the new etap. For the time being though I'm happy with hrd, first disk brake bike I've had

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
That looks really nice. Hope it rides as good as it looks. Enjoy

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Thanks, the paint job is even better in the flesh. Pictures Dont do the colourway justice, its had this beautiful flec running through the colour. The ride is superb. I rated my C60 as the best bike I had owned, I changed my mind after the first ride on the 64. Plus the internal routing really does give some really clean lines. ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Thanks again for those pics. I have ended up with the same silver black as yours. I wanted the black one but I just couldn't wait the extra 6-8wks to get it. Already three weeks since my current bike was written off, 10+ wks is to long to wait. Black/silver my size is in stock ready to go

Very excited now it's getting close...... again

EDIT: New frame has arrived. It is also not broken which is a huge step fwd, hope to be out rolling this weekend

Last edited by TheKaptone on Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JKolmo

by JKolmo

Wow so cool with all that internal routing! It almost looks like a brakeless fixie.

Freewayflyer

by Freewayflyer

Calnago wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:29 am
Ok, one final demo by exaggeration on the new headset, by Acros. The change in the new headset is essentially in going from an alloy top cup to a composite material of polymers and nylon and elastomers, which simply absorbs impact better than alloy would. For the C60, they used a nylon (or something like that) compression ring as shown below...
The ring on the left was an early version, then they switched to the beveled version on the right. The beveled version is what's on the C64. The idea was/is to provide a bit of a buffer between the steertube and the actual bearing. Ok, that's nice. With the headset in the C64, they've one upped themselves by also creating the cups of a composite material as well, or at least the flanges (I didn't remove them).

And here's a cheesy iPhone video I made just for a funny change of pace which demonstrates the principle behind the new headset... Try not to laugh too hard...

If you've ever worked on a concrete floor for any length of time, you can probably appreciate one of those hard rubber mats underfoot. Same idea. Will you notice on your bike... uh... sure.. uh maybe... uh... how's the pressure in your tires doing?
Hi,
I am looking for a spare headset for C64.
The Colnago headsets found on bike parts webstores are specd for C60 / V1r.
Is there a different headset model for C64 with composite cups ?
Or it's the same headset for C60/64/ V1r/ Concept ?
Many thanks !

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I “believe” (meaning I’m not 100% sure and I’ve never removed a C64 headset to verify) the dimensions are the same between the headsets but the latest C64 headset has the composite flanges whereas the C60 does not.
What are you needing a new one for if I may ask?.... did something happen to the original one?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Freewayflyer

by Freewayflyer

Hi Calnago,
Thanks ! No ..the original headset is OK !
Just considering it as a spare.
There is no information about compatibility of the ones that I found online with C64.
I'd like to be sure it's the same type that's on my bike, although I also believe that the headset dimensions of
C60 / C64 are the same it's just the doubt about the material that the cups are made of.
Is it possible that Colnago makes now only one type of headset (the new one with the composite cups) for present and previous frame models ?
It could make sense....
I'll continue to search and update if come up to an answer...:-)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The headsets are made by Acros. If you see some for sale with the descriptor C60/VR-1 I doubt they have the polymer flanges. Personally, that’s an item I don’t think I’d be keeping on hand as a spare part (just in case), but rather I would just get one if something should ever happen to the original. These are not just loose bearings which pop into a molded carbon seat at either end of the headtube. They will likely last a very very long time, like a Chris King Headset from the days of pressed in headset cups, which is essentially what these are.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Freewayflyer

by Freewayflyer

Hi Calnago,
...Actualy I have a Chris king nothreadset on my second bike - Klein Quantum Race.
It's in use for years without problems.
The comparison to the Acros headset makes things clear and logic, great to know !
Many thanks for the valuable advice and sharing of knowledge :-)
Also, it's a thing to appreciate how Colnago gives thought to details like this for the sake of durability ...even if it "costs" a few more grams ;-)
Thums up,
Have a great day !!

TheKaptone

by TheKaptone

Unbelievably I am still waiting for this bike to be built. Was told today that they are waiting on a particular tool to be able to fit the bottom bracket from Colnago

Is there a special tool for this job that is specific for this frame?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

What kind of BB are you having put in? The only special tool for the Colnago frame re the bottom bracket area is for the Threadfit cups themselves, but they should have already been installed at the factory. And in any case, if this shop sells and works on Colnagos they should have this tool just as they should have any other common tool.

guyc

by guyc

That sounds most odd. Have they never sold a Colnago frame before?

TheKaptone

by TheKaptone

I have no idea what BB it is. I have Campagnolo Record groupset. Below is what the insurance company said was part of the supply for the rebuild

1 Campagnolo PF / Colnago Bottom Bracket 

I suspect it might be a delaying tactic because it has taken ages to get done. The shop is very high end and has loads of customers. It must be tough to have the right amount of staff and also try to make a living. Just never heard of needing a special BB tool   

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

So, it’s a Campagnolo Bottom Bracket, probably using Campy cups unless you’re using some third party affair, which I wouldn’t recommend.
Here’s the cups... probably about $30-$40....
Can’t imagine these being hard to get. Is this shop an actual Colnago authorized dealer? Actually, any dealer should be able to deal with this quite easily I would think. But you say they are very “high end”. I would think they have an appropriate press for installing them, doesn’t necessarily have to be the specific Campagnolo tool although it really is the best tool I’ve come across for the job. Not sure why they would be using any “delaying tactics” on you.
Looked back a bit and seems that you’re in one of those messy situations where your initial frame had been broken during shipment, etc., and now you’re having problems getting your replacement built. Ugh. Never fun. Sorry.

guyc

by guyc

This does suck and I feel for you. I hope it's sorted soon.

TheKaptone

by TheKaptone

Cheers for that, it has been 41 days but who's counting. It will come and I will love riding it but street reading this thread many times and droolling over the picturesi just need to ride it.

Like Guinness good things come to those who wait..........

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com