Colnago C64 - Inside and Out

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

But you have happiness...
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

guyc

by guyc

So very true

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

This is awaiting my return from holiday. @superdomestique who I’m getting the frame through has been very helpful in offering advice, answering my questions, keeping me updated, and also taking this photo which is tantalising to say the least! I couldn’t of asked for a better guy to buy a frame from I don’t think.

I’m really looking forward to building it up. I’ve learned loads from reading other build threads on this forum. @calnago probably always deserves special mention when talking colnago’s. As he’s given me answers to questions I wouldn’t of even thought to ask.

The frame’s a 56s. I’m not sure I’m going to do a build thread as I’m not sure I can offer anything the more informed members haven’t already said. But I’m happy to put up weights etc. It’s odd. Very much enjoying my holiday but also very much looking forward to going home!

idinfo68

by idinfo68

Can we say that the C64 is in mix of the Concept and the C60 ...?
www.baron-noir.com

Specialized Aethos SUB5
Specialized Tarmac SL8 - 5.35 kgs
Specialized Tarmac SL6 - 5.16 kgs
Scott SPARK RC 900 SL SUB 8
Specialized Epic HT - 6.18 kgs

guyc

by guyc

TurboTommy wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:53 am

This is awaiting my return from holiday. @superdomestique who I’m getting the frame through has been very helpful in offering advice, answering my questions, keeping me updated, and also taking this photo which is tantalising to say the least! I couldn’t of asked for a better guy to buy a frame from I don’t think.

I’m really looking forward to building it up. I’ve learned loads from reading other build threads on this forum. @calnago probably always deserves special mention when talking colnago’s. As he’s given me answers to questions I wouldn’t of even thought to ask.

The frame’s a 56s. I’m not sure I’m going to do a build thread as I’m not sure I can offer anything the more informed members haven’t already said. But I’m happy to put up weights etc. It’s odd. Very much enjoying my holiday but also very much looking forward to going home!
Gorgeous.

I've seen a few Superdomestique builds and they're always bang on. I echo the @calnago comment as well.

What spec are you going for?? Same size as mine btw.

guyc

by guyc

idinfo68 wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:38 am
I'd say 80% C60 with 20% V-2R

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

guyc wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:36 pm

Gorgeous.

I've seen a few Superdomestique builds and they're always bang on. I echo the @calnago comment as well.

I have some bits already but I’m still undecided on others. I don’t want to hijack this great thread too much!

Maybe I’ll post up more questions or build pics on another thread when I’m home. I’ll look forward to seeing your build too Guy :thumbup:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

idinfo68 wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:38 am
No, the C64 is an evolution of the C60. Of course, they share some common technologies, like Threadfit BB etc., but that's about it. I would never say the C64 is a combination of the C60 and the Concept.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

TurboTommy wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:37 pm
guyc wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:36 pm

Gorgeous.

I have some bits already but I’m still undecided on others. I don’t want to hijack this great thread too much!

Maybe I’ll post up more questions or build pics on another thread when I’m home. I’ll look forward to seeing your build too Guy :thumbup:
At this point, please don't feel like you're hijacking the thread, and thank you for the nice words. I'm pretty much done talking about the new frame, so let's all feel free to keep this thread open maybe as a place for any and all C64 questions and/or concerns. Would love to see your guys' pictures of C64s right here if you feel like posting them but don't want to do a complete build thread. And of course post them in the Pictures of Colnagos thread as well.

guyc

by guyc

Definitely!!! The more the better. Looking forward to seeing that Art built up Tommy!

ginofausto

by ginofausto

TurboTommy wrote:

Very nice bike but a to small picture;-) I'll be thrilled of outdoor pictures of your built, because I'm interested in BFBL as you can see in my thread:
viewtopic.php?t=150849

Superdomestique is a really nice shop, I visited it last May for a short chat.

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

Thanks calnago, I’ll post up picks of the finished bike.
I’ve already got a set of EE brakes for the build. And berk have made me a saddle with leather the same colour blue as the head tube area of the c64. Time will tell if this is too much blue... It felt like a good choice at the time but now I’m wondering if keeping the saddle and bar tape black would work better with the black touches on the lower fork, seat / chain stays areas and the rims. Anyway, time will tell! I can always change it later.
I’m 99% certain I’m going with etap and a quarq powermeter. I know Colnago, perhaps ecspecially one with this paint, would be suited to Campag. But I have etap already on my Tarmac, I really like the way it works, and if I get wifli it means I could then swap rear derailleurs between the two bikes as and when I want to.
I’m keeping my options open regarding the cockpit. I’ve looked at quite a few c59 and c60 builds to try and get a picture of what I think suits the frame well. It may also depend on how many spacers I want to end up with. I’m in a similar ballpark to you, a touch taller I think. But I too could fit a 61,59, 58s or 56s I believe. So I was very interested in the choices you made on your c60 build relative to your c59. I think ideally I’d of liked a 61 trad but I missed the boat on that one so what ya gonna do! It’s not often you see a frame that big looking so beautifully proportioned, but the angles of the sloping frames are still great in my opinion. I went with the 56s because I made peace with the fact I’ll have some spacers on show (perhaps 25mm max) but a longer stem, smaller frame, and all the ‘feel’ and aesthetic advantages this offers. This feels like a gamble as I’m not 100% in this choice. Again, time will tell! But Elliot has been very helpful in helping me make the choice I did and it makes sense to me.
Nothing really ground breaking about the components I’m choosing I guess. I’ll put lightweight parts on where I can but nothing too exotic. I’m coming from look keo blades but I’m fed up with them never dropping back to vertical so I’ll put dura ace pedals on this bike and take the penalty. For me this is hopefully that often mentioned ‘forever frame’. So as much as I’ll enjoy dressing it in nice parts, I want it to be as much function as form.

Probably a lot more interesting than my own build is where the c64 will end up in terms of its place in the evolution of the Colnago. And I’d be very interested to hear what other think. Some of the design. Particularly the indentation for the bottle cage and in the fork. As well as the design of the head tube. Seem to have been done to give it a new or modern look. I just wonder if what is new now, will soon look a little ‘of it’s time’, or dated in years to come. Rather than classic design and lines which seems more timeless. It makes me wonder which way the C-series will go next. I hope that makes sense. Either way it didn’t put me off buying the frame as I think it looks fantastic. And it brings out so much passion in people compared to some other frames it feels very exciting to be taking my first steps into it.

Wow that got long winded very quickly sorry... it’s a stormy night in Sri Lanka, so I’ve had a bit of time to dream about my new Italian Beauty!

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

ginofausto wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:33 pm
TurboTommy wrote:

Very nice bike but a to small picture;-) I'll be thrilled of outdoor pictures of your built, because I'm interested in BFBL as you can see in my thread:
viewtopic.php?t=150849

Superdomestique is a really nice shop, I visited it last May for a short chat.
Hi Gino. Sorry the picture isn’t bigger. I’m surprised I even managed to post it to be honest I’m not the best at these things! The frame does look different in daylight as you can imagine the blue looks much lighter. I haven’t seen it in the flesh either but there are photos online of it in daylight which help a little. It seems there have been other art decor c64 colours painted but maybe only in certain sizes and if you’re willing to go to the factory to pick one up. (I’m only getting this from pictures I’ve seen on this forum).

guyc

by guyc

Tommy you’re going to love it. I saw that frame in the flesh last month and it is go damn nice. I was close to getting that one but went for the PKWH.

Etap will be great and give a super clean build. I went with DA Di2 as I’ve always used Shimano and it’s served me well. I’m running a 3T cockpit with the new SuperErgo bars and Apto stem. These bars mean I can use the new bar end junction box and give a clean front end. I’m just waiting for the Barfly mount for the stem to come back in stock so I don’t have anything on the bars (I have a K-Edge Aero on there for my ELEMNT Bolt until then).

I’m still taking the bike in. The shop that built mine (Service de Velo in Hampshire) have done an incredible job and the attention to detail is impressive.

Once the new wheels are on I’ll put some photos up. It should be Weds latest and possibly Tuesday.

I do obviously expect some grief for running Campag wheels alongside Di2 but I don’t really care!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

moonoi

by moonoi

Received my CeramicSpeed T45 Shimano BB, pictures of what you get in the box. Still waiting for the frame to arrive though...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk