Colnago C64 - Inside and Out

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Personally, I'd ditch the 30mm spindle idea and go for something else. It can be done, but you end up with teensy bearings in there, etc. and it's just far from my preferred solution.
I should add that the Threadfit cups bore is 41mm, but... the Threadfit cups can be replaced. As I went into details... the threaded part is really a T45 solution. I wouldn't be at all surprised if one of the upcoming options from Ceramic Speed is a 30mm option that replaces the Threadfit cups and somehow gets larger bearings in there, closer to or even the same as, you'd see in a proper 30mm spindle application. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Campy resurrects the 30mm spindle in a new crankeset. The Overtorque stuff was shelved, but that's not to say the 30mm spindle might not reappear in their lineup at some point. But even if it doesn't, if Ceramic Speed does introduce some cups that replace the Threadfit cups and take a 30mm spindle, then that'd be the way to go. Check out Wishbone... they may even already have something. But othere than some cups specifically designed to replaced the Threadfit cups, with correspondingly larger bearings, I'd stay away from the teensy bearing solutions.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

SuperDomestique

by SuperDomestique

The T45 does come in a 30mm option.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Well there ya go... do you know what size bearings they’re using?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

billspreston

by billspreston

Thanks for the input guys. I believe this is the Wishbone you are describing: TF825386? The bearing used here looks like a pretty reasonable size to me.

I did inquire with my shop regarding the Ceramic Speed offerings, but they seemed to imply they weren't available yet. And I'm sure they will be $$$$.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Well there’s your solution. At least it’s simple enough to give a try. And I’m thinking those bearings are a fair size larger than the 4130 type bearings being used to accommodate 30mm spindles in other shells not specifically designed for it. Let us know how it goes.

billspreston

by billspreston

Yeah I will try it. I have an Enduro BRT-002 tool and I think I could use that to pull & press new bearings into those Wishbone cups when they need replacing so it seems like a good solution.

guyc

by guyc

I’m sure I read that the CeramicSpeed BB was around £400 but I can’t find where I saw it.

c60rider

by c60rider

guyc wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:30 pm
I’m sure I read that the CeramicSpeed BB was around £400 but I can’t find where I saw it.
£234 here https://www.7hundred.co.uk/50657/produc ... ckets.aspx

guyc

by guyc

Ah thank you. One for the future. I won’t go for that right now as my current build list is expensive enough.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok... hopefully I will finish up my final thoughts sometime today on this thread. There's just one more area that I haven't covered in the excruciating detail that I’ve given to the other areas... and that is the seatclamp mechanism.

I'm not that familiar with all the variations of the new integrated types of seat clamps on all the different bikes out there today, but I look at them all the same way. I study them to see how they work, and try to imagine any pitfalls in the design, and what problems might arise down the road as a result. From what I've seen on the design of the C64 clamp, it looks very good.

Heres a view into the upper seatclamp area with the clamp itself removed....
Note that there is a hefty chunk of steel molded into that seatcluster lug. You can't really see it very well, but there is a wedge shaped piece in there that forces the seatpost to get even tighter should it start slipping. A look at the clamp itself might help explain this...
Above is the face of the clamp that butts up against a roughened part of the seatpost. The bolt enters from underneath the top tube and when you tighten the bolt it pulls the clamp against the steel wedge in the frame thus jamming up against the seatpost and holding it there.
Here's a side view where you can see the angled wedge....
I like that there isn't any rubber or plastic sleeve/dustcover over the whole thing from the top. Those usually are pretty flimsy and seem like likely places for water ingress. I guess I was just mostly impressed by the big hunk of steel embedded in the seatcluster lug for this often very used piece to butt up against. It seems like it will last.

In sum... the design seems sound, strong, and built to last. It also seems unlikely to slip. I'd still put some carbon paste at the rear and on the sides, but not on the roughened up portion of the clamp or the seatpost.

So, short of cutting this frame up I think I've pretty much shown you and talked about every detail that you might want to know more about... it's features, how well it's made, etc. Later today I hope to sit down and post my final thoughts about the frame overall, and put my second child up for sale to afford it. No one in their right mind would ever sell their first child, would they? But the second... meh.
Last edited by Calnago on Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guyc

by guyc

You mean you’re not cutting it up for us.

Sheesh.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

thx, i've got one on order.

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

Wait, what did I miss? Cal putting up his second born? It wouldn't happen to be the PR99, would it? Hhhh, for some odd reason, I hear Ren(an emotionally unstable chihuahua) from "Ren and Stimpy" screaming "YOU IIIIIIIDIOT!".

THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ha! You thought I was referring to a bike? Hahahahah. Never.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

Calnago wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:06 pm
Ha! You thought I was referring to a bike? Hahahahah. Never.
Yup, I hear selective organs are fetching a pretty penny these days.
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: