Colnago C64 - Inside and Out

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

LionelB

by LionelB

So this begs the question. How is the ride ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

guyc

by guyc

Magnificent.

hgw20

by hgw20

LionelB wrote:So this begs the question. How is the ride ?
Gorgeous

Enviado desde mi SM-G955F mediante Tapatalk

LionelB

by LionelB

Waht are you comparing to prior to the C64 ?

guyc

by guyc

Supersix, Ultimate CF SLX, Madone, custom steel, Defy, TCR, Foil.....

Gary71

by Gary71

Calnago wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:09 pm
To be a bit more precise, the short top cap is only 4.5mm tall while the tall cap is 16.3mm tall.
I should note that the above top caps are from a C60 but I believe they’re the same for the C64.
Hi Calnago,
Superb thread. I have read every delectable page and really appreciate your attention to detail and sharing with us.
Can you tell me if you know of a short top cap as shown here that would fit my colnago Master PR99 - 57T and where I can get them from? The stack sits a little too high above the horizonal top tube to suit my eyeline....., before any says just get a different degree angled stem.
I have taken your notes on the rear brake length ascetics and will be reviewing all my bikes henceforth.
Thanks again
Gary

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Gary71: it’s an external headset, right? Can’t really think of any external headsets that would be significantly shorter than another. They’re all something like this....
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

samuelcfadams1986

by samuelcfadams1986

Hi guys, I currently own a C60. I am toying with the idea of a C64 and wondered what real world differences you all have noticed ?

Sam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary71

by Gary71

Calnago wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:37 am
@Gary71: it’s an external headset, right? Can’t really think of any external headsets that would be significantly shorter than another. They’re all something like this....
Hi Calnago,
You are correct, I'm happy to conceed the external bearings come with some vertical stack, but I just dont see the need for the conical spacer that presses down onto the upper headset bearing. (see photos attached). I have been playing around with my handlebar stack and would really love to lose the 10mm conical. I find it unnecessary and it just doesn't need to be there. I just can't seem to find anyone or anywhere who knows of a flat 1 inch slammed conical spacer - preferrably a Colnago one?
Attachments
IMG_0496.JPG
IMG_0518.JPG

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Hi @Gary71: Ok, I see what you mean... that is a very tall top cap for sure. So then I thought... what would work on that headtube, and it came to me sitting right in my garage... a Chris King Ti 1" headset. I'm not sure if they even make these anymore, but I can't think of a more fitting headset to put on top of those chromed lugs. I got one for a custom steel frame I had done for me in the mid 90's. Still have it, collecting dust. So I took it out and snapped a couple photos for you....

The total stack height from the top of the headtube to the top of the top cover is 17mm, with the top cover comprising ~6mm of that. I think this headset would blend in perfectly with your frame...

It really is like a mirror finish, and just has a nicer look that even a polished aluminum headset, plus being titanium it won't tarnish or oxidize as readily as aluminum would...
That's a Cinelli Ti Grammo stem, with the rather rough welds polished out a bit. The white delrin spacer separating the stem from the headset is something I did in lieu of the supplied flat 0.25mm nylon spacer that Chris King supplies. Both would serve the purpose of preventing creaking from the stem surface rubbing against the surface of the top cover but I just liked the transition a bit better. If you look closely, I actually machined a bevel to the edges of it so it transitioned perfectly from the top cover to the stem. Yes, I guess I've always been a stickler for the details.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

LionelB

by LionelB

Tune headsets have a very low stack height.

Rone69

by Rone69

What is the effective (measured) tire clearance of the C64 in medium size? Disc & rim?

Thanks

Gary71

by Gary71

Calnago wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:45 pm
The total stack height from the top of the headtube to the top of the top cover is 17mm, with the top cover comprising ~6mm of that. I think this headset would blend in perfectly with your frame...

It really is like a mirror finish, and just has a nicer look that even a polished aluminum headset, plus being titanium it won't tarnish or oxidize as readily as aluminum would...
@Calnago That's exactly the short stack height I am looking for. Problem is - all my other parts attached to the frame are also black, BB, brakes, front D and rear D. i would have to swap them over to match.
I will see if they have a black version.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I don't think you'd have to switch any of your other components to "match", but I do thing the ti headset I showed would go best against those chromed lugs. But it would be easy enough to get the same headset in black if that's what you prefer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

insightt47

by insightt47

Im coming from a Look 695

My impressions are that the c64 is stiffer, more comfortable, more reactive and has better handling. The c64 is also faster - dont ask me how a frame can make you faster but it does.

The Look 695 is more sporty though and I preffered its geometry over the c64. Cant have everything i guess.