Ax Lightness Vial Evo Ultra - 5.3kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

MarginalChains

by MarginalChains

This is a project that actually started almost two years ago, but I've only just got around to posting about it. I essentially set out to make the lightest bike I possibly could, subject to 4 constraints:

Power meter
Electronic shifting
Clinchers rather than tubular
Durable parts that can actually be used in real life

Complete parts list with weights:

Frame: 2016 AX Lightness Vial Evo Ultra, size S/52 - 618g inc derailleur hanger and seat post clamp
Fork: THM Scapula CT-X - 243g
Seatpost: Ax Lightness Daedalus 320mm - 106g
Headset: AX Lightness integrated by Ceramicspeed - 48g
Shifters: Shimano Dura-Ace 9070 - 233g
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace 9070 with Ceramicspeed coated pulleywheels - 226g
Front Derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace 9070 - 109g
Crankset: THM Clavicula M3 with SRM power meter spider - 459g
Chainrings: Praxis Works - 137g
Bottom Bracket: AX Lightness/Ceramicspeed - 42g
Cassette: SRAM Red 11-28 - 167g
Chain: KMC X11 SL - 239g
Brakes: THM Fibula with Lightweight pads - 168g
Brake Cables: Jagwire Road Elite Link - 71g
Saddle: Ax Lightness Phoenix - 63g
Bottle cages: Ax Lightness - 41g
Handlebars: AX Lightness Rigid 120mm stem + Schmolke TLO bar, bonded by Berk Composites - 223g
Bar Tape: Lizardskins DSP Race 1.8mm with Carbonice bar plugs - 56g
Garmin Mount: Raceware - 14g
Wheels: Lightweight Meilenstein Clincher Schwarz Edition - 1184g (527+657)
Skewers: Lightweight - 43g
Tubes: Continental Race Light - 130g
Tyres: Continental GP4000SII 23mm - 430g
Pedals: (not shown but included in total weight) Speedplay Zero Nanogram - 130g
Di2 cables, battery, parts - 112g

I have some parts that would make it lighter, but go against my condition of it being rideable and durable in the real world. For example, Seqlite titanium cassette and Fibre Lyte chainrings. These together would save about 170g. Dropping the power meter in favour of the Clavicula SE would save a further 160g.

Would love to hear your thoughts and any suggestions for improvements!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

So what is the total weight?

MarginalChains

by MarginalChains

Lightweenie wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:13 pm
So what is the total weight?
In the subject - 5.3kg

Slammed

by Slammed

Really nice build and final outcome. That frame weight is super impressive.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Looks awesome!

KCookie

by KCookie

Great looking bike and weight with the power meter. The bonded bars look awesome.

micky

by micky

Sorry for being a d!ck but please fix the bar tape.
Otherwise nice build!

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Nice bike - that bar/stem weight is amazing! Did bonding save any weight? What was the cost of the build?

What happened to the bar tape on the LHS? Personally I'd leave some of the tops unwrapped. Looks better IMO and saves weight.

MarginalChains

by MarginalChains

4ibanez wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:54 pm
Nice bike - that bar/stem weight is amazing! Did bonding save any weight? What was the cost of the build?

What happened to the bar tape on the LHS? Personally I'd leave some of the tops unwrapped. Looks better IMO and saves weight.
Yep, the bar tape came loose on the LHS and I haven't got round to fixing it yet as I'm not riding it much through the winter.

The AX stem was 80g, and the Schmolke bars were 151g, so an 8g saving vs the separate parts. With the extra stiffness and the clean look, I'm really happy with it.

I estimate the total cost of the build at somewhere between 18k and 20k Euros.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

Slammed wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:49 pm
Really nice build and final outcome. That frame weight is super impressive.
+1 in all points. :thumbup:

i would prefer it with non-deep wheelset, tubular rather than clincher, and mechanical, but all thats just a question of personal taste.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

:shock: wow that's a lot, but you got a very nice bike for it! Personally I like Michellin pro 4 comp clinchers and Conti supersonic tubes - I think they're lighter than your current setup by about 100g. You could try Veloplugs for some more weight savings - probably about 30g. But the plugs probably start to cross over the line into a small compromise for convenience (and reliability unless you get installation 100%). Congrats and happy riding.

MarginalChains

by MarginalChains

4ibanez wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:46 pm
:shock: wow that's a lot, but you got a very nice bike for it! Personally I like Michellin pro 4 comp clinchers and Conti supersonic tubes - I think they're lighter than your current setup by about 100g. You could try Veloplugs for some more weight savings - probably about 30g. But the plugs probably start to cross over the line into a small compromise for convenience (and reliability unless you get installation 100%). Congrats and happy riding.
Thanks! And thanks for your suggestions!

I originally had AX Ultra 28 clinchers with Conti supersonic tubes on this bike. About 1km into my first descent on my brand new bike the front tyre blew off and I stacked it at about 50kph. Ended up costing me quite a bit in damages and French medical costs, and the upshot was I lost all confidence in the heat dissipation of the wheels. That's what led me to the Lightweights and the conti race lights as they are just that little bit thicker and hopefully safer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the veloplugs are relevant as with the construction of the Lightweight wheels, no rim tape is needed.

bencolem

by bencolem

That’s a heck of a build, true dream bike stuff right there, beautifully judged, thank you for posting.

Neckkoss

by Neckkoss

I have no words to call your build, what an amazing bike, the selection of the components it is outstanding, for a lot of people this bike it is just a thing that they will look on a magazine or superb you tube video, and you make it all possible, yes it took you two year and a steep amount of money invested, man enjoy every second you spend on this beautiful bike, every day you expended planing this project and effort getting the parts have finally pay off. If this would be a car, it will be above and beyond the most expensive lambo or Bugatti, seriously... congrats and thank you for posting and inspiring more people here at the forum ....!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Ah yes, of course - you're right. I forgot LWs don't have spoke holes!