My Italian Bikes - Colnago C40 / C50 / Gios Aerodynamic

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

lifeonmars

by lifeonmars

Hi everyone,

I've been reading these foruns for a long time, but never introduced myself.
I'm David, I live in Portugal and I'm a big fan of italian bikes, especially Colnagos.

Currently I own a first series C50 PR11, a C40 B-Stay LX10, a Colnago Dream AD23 and a Gios Torino Aerodynamic. In the same garage also lives a C40 B-Stay LX14, which is my girlfriend's bike.

Short version:

C50

Campagnolo Record 10S Groupset / Neutron Ultra Wheels
My main bike since 2015.

C40

I should blame it for creating this post. Bought it a few days ago and although it had mostly period correct components (Record 10S groupset, Record Pro-Fit Pedals, ITM Pro 260 handlebars), the set up was completely awful. Shifters pointing to the sky, Shimano Pro bar tape, thriatlon saddle and so on...

I want to make a few changes:

- Install a Colnago / ITM Millenium stem, get rid of that conical spacer and cut the fork steerer tube.
- Already bought a pair of first series Neutrons. The Zondas are great, but I want to go with a look more classic. Also, they won a Paris-Roubaix and are from the same era.
- A pair of Elite Ciussi cages in blue, if I find them.
- A new saddle. I installed a Flite I had in here, as a temporary solution, but want something different.

Regarding the saddle, I'm not sure yet between the Rolls, Flite 1990 or classic Regal. I want something with class, from that era, without worries about the weight.
The thing is, I found a limited edition blue Regale for a very good price. Generally I wouldn't consider any other option but black, to keep the attention on the frame, however I keep thinking that maybe it could look different and a nice match.
What do you guys think? Would it be too cheesy? Would it also be "necessary" to go with matching handle bar tape, or maybe black should be fine to keep it more simple?
On the other hand, a Rolls or a Flite 1990 would look simple and great...

Just want to read your thoughts on this. ;)

Gios Torino Aerodynamic

I bought this one a year ago and it's a very rare frame, that Gios produced in a limited edition of 200 units, made from Columbus air tubing.
The decals are originally silver, not white as in most other models.

It doesn't have a period correct groupset, but it's a very nice Record-C, with cobalto brakes. I have the original pedals stored, but installed clipless ones to use with my regular shoes (I know...).

Dream:

It's also a fantastic bike, although mine is suffering from oxidation and the painting looks terrible because of it. It has a Record 9S groupset and Open Pro / Record wheels. Unfortunately I don't have any detailed photos at the moment.
Maybe you can find some in my instagram account:
https://www.instagram.com/jimlizard/

Ok, finally a few pictures, trying not to flood the page! ;)

Thanks for reading.

Cheers.

Last edited by lifeonmars on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Welcome! Great first post. I can’t see all the pics but I’ve been having issues with Tapatalk lately so it may be on my end.
At any rate, I like where this is going. Looking forward to more. Also, you can never “flood” a post with too many pictures.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

lifeonmars

by lifeonmars

Thanks, Calnago! I always appreciated your posts (and bikes!) on this forum.
The links were copied from my flickr account. In case the photos don't work outside Tapatalk, I'll upload them somewhere else tomorrow.
I always take my photos during rides. Most of them are more about the place than about the bike in detail, but I'll follow your advice and share a few. :)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok, all the pics seem to be showing up on my desktop computer. So it's either Tapatalk in general or just my installation of it. Anyway, great pics!
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Bely

by Bely

That is an awesome fleet!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current
Festka Scala | Pego Respo | English V3 | Colnago EPS Erik Zabel | Colnago V4rs

Incoming

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Love the bikes .... The Gios is bomb..... wow 8).

And I like to have the complete bikeshow as my desktop background... what a great picture is that with the grey concrete and the little hang over branch. ( need to work on my English though.. :oops: )

micky

by micky

Stunning bike collection!
Welcome! Benvenuto!

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Very nice indeed. Love the mountain background pic. Where?

lifeonmars

by lifeonmars

Thanks, guys!

Calnago, glad the pictures are already showing up.

PinaRene, don't worry, english isn't my native language either. ;)
The wall is from my garage and I love it too.

dgasmd, the photo was taken the last summer, in the Puerto de San Isidro, Spain. It really is a fantastic place and I was lucky to climb it with a fantastic atmosphere, by the end of the day.
A few more photos from that area:

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Nice collection!
Loving the Gios!!

Beautiful ride pictures too!

lifeonmars

by lifeonmars

Thanks, majklnajt! Your bikes were great too. Hope to see another build from you someday.

By the way, I still would like to hear your feedback regarding the saddle choice for the C40 LX10:

Which one? As I said, the blue Regal just came to my mind because it has a great discount and could look interesting, but still not sure.

Last edited by lifeonmars on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joe1234

by joe1234

Colnago for ever! :wink:

Nice pictures.

LionelB

by LionelB

You should head to the poseur thread as soon as possible :)

Just kidding. Nice bikes.

lifeonmars

by lifeonmars

LionelB, generally I just visit this section of the forum. How could I have missed that thread! I promise to hurry. :D
Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

Blue Regal out of place on a C40. I love the shape of the Rolls, but its not really in keeping either. I vote for the Flite. I ended up with a black SLR on mine, not really wrong time wise, and the bike is at 6.5 with Lightweights. Not bad, given that its almost 20 years old.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record