Long time coming: Colnago C-60 comes to life!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Holy smokes... that’s bad, about the bottle hitting the downtube. Even though my frames are larger, the bottom of the cage on the seat tube is pretty much at the height of the top of the front derailleur brazeon. I’d be inclined to check out some other C60’s your size to see if the situation is the same. If not, then I’d be inclined to think that the waterbottle jig was misplace during production and be asking for a replacement. Aside from that, not sure I like the new cages much better :). Have you at least tried some Arundel Mandibles. I mention them because they have 4 mounting holes so that you can actually mount them at two different heights. Depending on how much more room you need, maybe they might at least make it work. Because as it is, it doesn’t.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

dj97223

by dj97223

Yeah, you need a cage that can sit higher. Also, perhaps, a bottle that is beveled at the bottom will give you a bit more clearance. I have two sets of these and they work well and look good, imo:

https://fairwheelbikes.com/fair-wheel-v ... ttle-cage/
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Delorre

by Delorre

Lovely bike!! Is that a 48s? Do you mind to share your saddle height? I ask because my dad is looking for a new bike, and if Colnago, it would be a 48s (short legs and longer torso)

dgasmd

by dgasmd

UPDATE:

So, after riding the bike for about 500 pleasurable miles, I almost had a heart attack. Came home one day and tried to change the wheels to a different set only to find that there was a crack on the bottom of the bridge on the seat stays. My heart sank to the ground and almost a tear came out. I was truly gutted. Never hit anything on the road, ran over anything, heard any crunch, hit a pothole, or anything but road buzz and pleasure. I contacted the dealer in the UK that I got the bike through and sent pictures (to follow). He basically advised me to strip the frame and send it back for a warranty check and possible replacement. The strip, packaging, sending, costs, and several months without the bike had me a the brink of just getting rid of it afterwards as I had grown close to hating it. How could it be that such an expensive and highly rate bike would crack so easily? I chose to take it to a carbon bike repair place near me (2.5 hr away) that I had used in the past for something else. Guy was highly rated, had seen lots of his work, I was going to be in the area anyway, and worse case scenario he would tell me to ship it for a replacement.

After a very close inspection, he diagnosed it on site as a cosmetic paint issue ONLY. His suspicion is that the tire picked up something and shot it into the seat stay causing the damage. 2 Weeks later, I picked it up and cannot even tell where the issue was. I am serious. I know where it was and not by touch or sight I can tell. This guy brought my faith in humanity back up a notch. Cost me less than the shipping back to the UK too!!!!!

http://framedoctor911.com/fdmain.htm

Highly recommend him. And based on the dozens of frames I saw there now and before, he gets the work done and super well done as well. Couldn't recommend him hgiher if I tried!!!
Last edited by dgasmd on Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

ImageImageImage

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Did it crack above the brake bolt too? My C60 that I purchased from a forum member began to experience significant paint cracking on the ST/TT lug, FD braze on area, and the HT brake cable port after I had it for 2 weeks. Be glad that you didn't send it back to Colnago as mine was gone for 6 months and they only addressed one area. Glad you're back riding!

dgasmd

by dgasmd

tonytourist wrote:Did it crack above the brake bolt too?
No. That was just some dirt/debris in the picture.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

tonytourist wrote:My C60 that I purchased from a forum member began to experience significant paint cracking on the ST/TT lug, FD braze on area, and the HT brake cable port after I had it for 2 weeks.
Funny you said that. He mentions that he gets quite a few Colnago regularly mostly for paint repairs. He says they are sprayed so heavily and thick that the paint tends to come off in chunks. He had a C40 there that was like the 3rd time he had worked on due to the same issue in different places.

KhushiMehta

by KhushiMehta

dgasmd wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:51 am
My last new bike was a ATIME RXR back in 2008, and before that was a LOOK 595 Ultra. I still own both and love them for different reasons. As close as I tried, both of those bikes also fit me slightly differently with their pro/cons to each. They both feel and behave very differently.

For the past 2+ years, I have been looking to get a new bike, but frankly nothing new in the market seemed to have any real and huge advantages to either bike I already had. I consider the Parlee Z3 and Z5, the new LOOK 795, and the Colnago C-60. The Parlee, while could be built into a true weight weenie bike, had nothing "stellar" to offer than 6-8 other bikes in the market didn't have. The LOOK, while exotic and different, had too many proprietary parts for my taste. The Colnago seemed like that "safe choice" the everyone raved about as refined, slightly heavy by comparison, and yet superior to most (at least by opinion).

Welcome home Sofia!
PS: Yes, my kids make me name all my bikes, skateboards, cars, and anything that moves really.ImageImage
Nice information shared, thanks for sharing...

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

dgasmd wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:04 pm
ImageImage

“Pre-final weight” update. Cut the rest of the steering tube, removed the Garmin mount as it won’t be used on it, and bars double wrapped with Dead tape. 14.0 lb.

Said “pre-final” because I will be trying the Berk padded saddle in a few days and that will certainly get it below 14 lb, which was the initial goal. One of them at least!!

I may swap the mechanical SR grouppo for EPS, but the weight gain will not be welcomed. Both of my other bikes are right at 14 lb and I was hoping to get this one below 14 with EPS. Clearly won’t happen? Maybe I need to get a C-64 for that LOL......
Just curious to know your opinion of going from the Time RXR to the Colnago from a ride feel and geometry perspective? I am about to purchase the V2R but am currently riding a 12 Time RXRS Ulteam which I love and has the geometry that works for me. I also have a 08 Time VXR that I still ride for bad weather. I am going to the Colnago for geometry and being able to transport in a regular bike box. I realize the V2R will be different to the C60 but its not terribly far off. Thanks any info is greatly appreciated dgasmd.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

dgasmd

by dgasmd

bikeboy1tr wrote:
dgasmd wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:04 pm
ImageImage

“Pre-final weight” update. Cut the rest of the steering tube, removed the Garmin mount as it won’t be used on it, and bars double wrapped with Dead tape. 14.0 lb.

Said “pre-final” because I will be trying the Berk padded saddle in a few days and that will certainly get it below 14 lb, which was the initial goal. One of them at least!!

I may swap the mechanical SR grouppo for EPS, but the weight gain will not be welcomed. Both of my other bikes are right at 14 lb and I was hoping to get this one below 14 with EPS. Clearly won’t happen? Maybe I need to get a C-64 for that LOL......
Just curious to know your opinion of going from the Time RXR to the Colnago from a ride feel and geometry perspective? I am about to purchase the V2R but am currently riding a 12 Time RXRS Ulteam which I love and has the geometry that works for me. I also have a 08 Time VXR that I still ride for bad weather. I am going to the Colnago for geometry and being able to transport in a regular bike box. I realize the V2R will be different to the C60 but its not terribly far off. Thanks any info is greatly appreciated dgasmd.
As far as traveling with the bike, my RXR has been my traveling bike. Fits in the 3 cases I’ve used over the years. It is a size XS.

I went from the size XS with a 115 stem to the Colnago 48S and a 110 stem. The Time always felt a tad bit too stretched, but the Colnago fits perfectly. Pretty much all other parts and such are equal. The stiffness and efficiency in stroke, off the saddle pedaling, hammering, etc is night and day. I now know what others have said for years about the “RXR being a noodle”. I can only imagine in bigger sizes. As far as comfort, they are pretty darn close, but I’d give the edge to the Colnago as being far more of an efficient bike (no energy wasted in flex) it feels “better?”. Handling at speed and cornering goes to the Colnago hands down. Can’t tell you about descending or prolonged climbing, but the RXR was adequate or ok at best in those. I can only guess the Colnago is better as well. As far as finish and paint quality, the Time is simple as good as it was on day one. Simply perfect. The Colnago so far has been relatively equal with the exception that they drilled the down tube holes for the bottle cage way too low. If I had gotten the frame in the US I would have sent it back, but the idea of sending it back to England and waiting for months with the associated shipping costs and have to disassemble and reassemble kept me from it.

Hope that helps

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Thanks dgasmd, that does help. I know my RXRS is a much better descender than my VXR with the change they made in the fork angle. I know the Colnago has a different fork angle again so I have no doubt it will go down hill better. I am looking forward to the new bike, thanks again.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

glad u saved it. it sucks but damage happens with use all the time....nothing stays perfect when riding after a while.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

While not an elegant solution, I had a frameset once where the bottle would sit on the down tube that I resolved with a di2 relocation adapter like this - https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-Dura-Ace ... B07BVF79VG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

You were absolutely right @dgasmd about the Time-Colnago comparison. I have 3 rides now on the V2R and it is stiffer and yet rides better than the RXRS, shifts better on the fd and the geometry fits me like a glove (54S). I give the RXRS a wiggle test the other day and could feel it reverberate through to the seat mast and tried the same test on the V2R and there was nothing. Colnago is a pretty solid bike and I am happy so far.