2015 Cervelo R5 (5.99kg)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

gurk700

by gurk700

5.99kg including Wahoo mount and fully inflated tires on Park Tool Scale. The chart below over estimates a couple items I forgot to measure separately before completing the build which should explain why the finished thing weighted a little less (when you take air in tires + wahoo mount into account)

Last edited by gurk700 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Nice & solid! :thumbup: Get some shallower tubs and bring that weight down at least additional 300g! ;)
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

em3

by em3

mrlobber wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:06 am
Nice & solid! :thumbup: Get some shallower tubs and bring that weight down at least additional 300g! ;)
That was my thot too, but then I looked up the wheels and it appears the DeCadence 59mm Tubular Wheelset is listed at 1120 grams...which puts them in the same category as LightWeight wheels. I'm curious what true weight is...? https://www.carbonbikewheels.com.au/pro ... -wheelset/

gurk700

by gurk700

Yes! I can save another ~80 grams if I go 49mm Decadence Tubulars. Probably ~130 grams if I go 38mm's. But I love the balance of aero/lightweight of the 59mm. Sub 6 is all I wanted with this build so I don't know if I'll try pushing it more.

The actual weight of the wheels is a very impressive 1135 grams including the balance weights on the opposite side of valve hole. Website mentions 1120 grams excluding the balance weights which I'd say is very accurate! Probably within 5 grams.

I rode the wheels first time yesterday and I'm VERY impressed.

seaneT1

by seaneT1

Wow, looking forward to learn more about the wheelset, seems quite interesting!!!

MRM

by MRM

In terms of pure looks, your bike will look better with shallower wheels. Super deep sections are not in proportion with the skinny tube profiles of the R5.

So maybe win win to go something that is 38-50mm.

gurk700

by gurk700

I really don't know how I can write a review about these without sounding like I'm being sponsored or paid...
I have experience with a lot of highend tubular wheelsets. Enve 4.5, Zipp 404, Reynolds SDV66T, Hed 6 Stingers. There's more but these 4 are similar depth.

Ride quality, stiffness, compliance, roll resistance, wind stability, aero profile: These I don't want to BS you with. I can't measure it. They all feel similar enough to me.

Ben (owner of Caden Wheels) believes brake rub happens cause of spoke layout and hub design and lightweight don't have much to do with it. I can tell you that Zipps, Heds, Enve's (2x1 rear spoke pattern. DT180's) and Cadens do not rub under any circumstance for me. They all have the 2x1 pattern. Reynolds 66 unfortunately do. And Reynolds 72mm aero tubulars I have rub even more.

The weight is INSANE for this profile though. Climbs, accelerations and up hill sprints are absolutely noticeably snappier than anything I have tried. Caden's customer service is absolutely better than anything I've experienced. Their crash replacement and warranty is competitive with anything out there.

Little detail: Don't want to get in the tape vs glue argument but I have glued my tires for 2 years and recently switched to tape. Never going back. A good brand of tape will improve the quality of your life :) Ben recommended me an italian brand of tape before I bought anything from him because he doesn't sell his tape in the US (shipping cost doesn't make sense to him). They made me a believer in tape. 0 problems. Tire grip gives out way before a correctly applied tape job does (don't ask me how I know). Ben then supplied 2 rolls of his own tape when I bought the wheelset. These are lighter (~20 grams per wheelset) and just as easy to apply as the italian brand he recommended.

Braking: All carbon wheels have sucked in comparison to aluminum for me in the rain. Bare in mind I haven't tried the newer Enve's. In any case, I don't bomb down hills in rain. In the dry, Cadens and the provided pads are impressive. But so are zipps and enves.

Basically in short, Caden wheels: Best for me for price / performance. Everything else is on par with brands that cost twice as much. If you think this is another chinese rebranded company, think again. They are not. I have a feeling the hub designs are "inspired" by another brand but improved upon in some areas. They must be as light as extralite and alike to be honest.

That's about all I can say at the moment.

gurk700

by gurk700

Just a note here as it was a very pleasant surprise for me. The prices on the website are AUD. So This set was ~$1400 including shipping brand new.

gurk700

by gurk700

MRM wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:48 pm
In terms of pure looks, your bike will look better with shallower wheels. Super deep sections are not in proportion with the skinny tube profiles of the R5.

So maybe win win to go something that is 38-50mm.
I'm tempted to throw these on my S5. So a 38mm or 49mm for variety MIGHT happen in the future :D

KCookie

by KCookie

Great looking bike, agree with others the 38mm would look better.
Just been on the Caden website and tempted by some myself for the spare bike, great price with the 35% discount and only 990g, certainly a lot cheaper than my Obies for the same weight.

Nuleyn

by Nuleyn

Love your bike! I am Building an R5 myself! Can't wait to ride it :D.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Djohns

by Djohns

gurk700 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:10 am
5.99kg including Wahoo mount and fully inflated tires on Park Tool Scale. The chart below over estimates a couple items I forgot to measure separately before completing the build which should explain why the finished thing weighted a little less (when you take air in tires + wahoo mount into account)

Have you measured the external rim width of the wheel? Im very much curious on the width, they havent specified the width of the wheel from their site