Speedvagen OG1 (7.23kg)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

billspreston

by billspreston

I recently built this beauty up for a good friend of mine. It's stock geometry OG1 in size 56. It's missing a second bottle cage in the photos which was added shortly after bringing the final weight from the hanging scale to 7.23kg. Pretty reasonable given the frame weight! Now just need to get rid of the unused cable bosses :smartass:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

billspreston

by billspreston

Frame weight includes Chris King headset

Unused cable bits to be subtracted from above ^

Last edited by billspreston on Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billspreston

by billspreston

*Mods please delete extra post - sorry!*

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Very nice and pleasure to look sharp pics. :thumbup:

Wookski

by Wookski

That Chris King headset is a horrible boat anchor, the frame weight is actually not too bad.

bencolem

by bencolem

1). It looks beautiful
2). I’ve never ridden a Speedvagen but I hope the ride is worth the extra weight; it’s heavy for such a well judged build (I have a Parlee with very similar spec that is way lighter).
3). What are the jockey wheels?

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

U should keep the cable stops in case u want to sell

em3

by em3

bencolem wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:02 am
...I hope the ride is worth the extra weight; it’s heavy for such a well judged build (I have a Parlee with very similar spec that is way lighter).
Huh? U r comparing a sub 900 grm carbon frame with a steel ISP frame? Apples to oranges. 7.2Kg for a steel frame build with clinchers is light....a set of decent tubulars might even yield a complete weight closer to 6.8 Kg

KarlC

by KarlC

Great looking build, Love my SpeedVagen

Wookski wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:43 pm
That Chris King headset is a horrible boat anchor, the frame weight is actually not too bad.
The headset should be right at 100g so frame is right at 1650g with ISP
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

bencolem

by bencolem

em3 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:51 am
bencolem wrote:
...I hope the ride is worth the extra weight; it’s heavy for such a well judged build (I have a Parlee with very similar spec that is way lighter).
Huh? U r comparing a sub 900 grm carbon frame with a steel ISP frame? Apples to oranges. 7.2Kg for a steel frame build with clinchers is light....a set of decent tubulars might even yield a complete weight closer to 6.8 Kg
You’re missing my point entirely. The build consists of a really well judged selection of lightweight parts which highlights the weight of the frame. I’ve had steel, ti, alu and plastic bikes. My point is that I hope (and would be interested to learn) that the ride is worth the extra weight. There are plenty of frames that you can buy that will give you a lovely ride that weigh a lot less - and this is weight weenies; I love the ease of acceleration and lack of effort of a lighter ride all things being equal. So, again, I’m hoping that the ride is worth the extra weight and I’d be interested to understand what you do get in terms of the ride experience for the penalty of the extra weight.

loudtiger

by loudtiger

Great presentation. Really enjoy how you showed photos of each component on the scale.

Oh, and beautiful bike too, weight be damned.

Delorre

by Delorre

Very nice build and good final weight for a steel bike. Guess it rides like a charm. Just a question regarding the stem : did you change the bolts to TI ones? My 120mm Pro Plt stem (same as yours??) weights 140gr.

Wookski

by Wookski

bencolem wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:22 pm
em3 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:51 am
bencolem wrote:
You’re missing my point entirely. The build consists of a really well judged selection of lightweight parts which highlights the weight of the frame. I’ve had steel, ti, alu and plastic bikes. My point is that I hope (and would be interested to learn) that the ride is worth the extra weight. There are plenty of frames that you can buy that will give you a lovely ride that weigh a lot less - and this is weight weenies; I love the ease of acceleration and lack of effort of a lighter ride all things being equal. So, again, I’m hoping that the ride is worth the extra weight and I’d be interested to understand what you do get in terms of the ride experience for the penalty of the extra weight.
The entire forum missed your point but please, keep digging :x

Wookski

by Wookski

KarlC wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:00 pm
Great looking build, Love my SpeedVagen

Wookski wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:43 pm
The headset should be right at 100g so frame is right at 1650g with ISP
More like 125-160g. They are super heavy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

billspreston

by billspreston

bencolem wrote:
1). It looks beautiful
2). I’ve never ridden a Speedvagen but I hope the ride is worth the extra weight; it’s heavy for such a well judged build (I have a Parlee with very similar spec that is way lighter).
3). What are the jockey wheels?
2.) That's a fair question. I think steel is just different and some people prefer that feeling & aesthetic. Whether those feelings are enough to overcome the weight penalty is up to individual preferences.
3.) The jockey wheels are Kogel ceramic.
Delorre wrote: Just a question regarding the stem : did you change the bolts to TI ones? My 120mm Pro Plt stem (same as yours??) weights 140gr.
Yes, it's a 110mm stem with the bolts changed out for Ti.
Wookski wrote: More like 125-160g. They are super heavy.
Good to know! Any recommendations for a replacement? Tune Bobo maybe?