Cervelo R3 Disc 2018

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

nesfyl

by nesfyl

siim wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:49 am
Great to hear that it rides like a dream - looking forward to get mine built and ridden. Yours seems to be larger frame - is it a 58cm? Do you happen to have shallower wheels to take a picture with these? I'm undecided on the wheel depth and trying to figure out if it would look better with ~35mm or 50mm wheels. Road profile around where I live is flat as a pancake and definitely favors deeper wheels but I don't want to add too much weight and feel that shallower rim would look slightly better.

One more question: tire clearance. What tires are you running and is there room left to go bigger?
Yeap, it's a 58. I have the Mavics that came with it, but no pictures, sorry, I immediately fitted the Hunts. And I won't be riding it for some time, got a long work trip coming up :(
It's a climbing frame, so its lines lend themselves well to shallower depths too, so a 35-40mm deep wheelset will look great too. Even though I live in a mountainous area (in Cyprus) the wheel depth isn't a problem from a performance point of view, but you know how slightly heavier wheels blunt the responsiveness of the frame. Anyway, I may get a shallower set myself at some point.

As of tyre clearance, I have 25 Schwalbe pro ones fitted that balloon to much larger on these rims, and there's plenty of space left. The constraint is in the room between the chainstays. Officially Cervelo says 28c, 30c could perhaps fit, but I wouldn't think anything larger. Which is a shame, because you can park a bus in the space at the rear bridge and fork.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

siim

by siim

Stem has arrived.

Step 1: put it on the scale (100mm)

Step 2: weigh the bolts

Step 3: remove the graphics: https://www.instagram.com/p/BgPJbpDgGoT/

Step 4: enjoy the result

Bolts will be replaced with ti bolts, probably from aliexpress as well. I found them also in navy blue that should match the color of the frame. Going to have to try how it looks in real life.

siim

by siim

Excuse the subpar image quality. Here's the chainring I received today:

It's B.O.R. Germany, compact 50T chainring and yes, it weighs 99.7 grams.
I got it cheap from a local online shop, cost me just 30€ and to match it, I ordered smaller chainring from Bike24 on the same day. This is still somewhere in transit.

Weight of the chainring is disappointing, especially considering they have printed 89,0 g on the chainring itself! Bold move by them and this might be the reason it's not sold in most of the online stores anymore :D

Considering the (relatively) porky Rotor crankset and now chainrings I'm considering to upgrade to Sram Red crankset once the bike is complete and bank account balance is back on the positive side. It should save me nearly 100g.

siim

by siim

Small chainring came from another shop. Weight is closer to the claimed 32.5g

Schmolke Expander SL, top cap and bolt:

Total for the system is 15.5g. I'm likely to get another top cap though - not sure the 3k weave would look good on this bike.

grahamcp

by grahamcp

nesfyl wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:38 am
Ok, here's mine, at its first outing. It's largely stock, barring the saddle (Spesh Power) and wheels (Hunt 50carbon). Rides like a dream, will write a review of sorts after I've spent more time on it.

Excuse those water bottles :)
That does look nice :-) I've been thinking about getting one myself - and was under the impression that the geo was a bit more on the relaxed side, not full on sportive style but also less aggressive than a race setup. How do you find it? I was surprised that you have a fair bit of saddle to bar drop, guessing you are relatively long legged - how tall are you? Like the wheels too!

nesfyl

by nesfyl

grahamcp wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:40 pm
nesfyl wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:38 am
Ok, here's mine, at its first outing. It's largely stock, barring the saddle (Spesh Power) and wheels (Hunt 50carbon). Rides like a dream, will write a review of sorts after I've spent more time on it.

Excuse those water bottles :)
That does look nice :-) I've been thinking about getting one myself - and was under the impression that the geo was a bit more on the relaxed side, not full on sportive style but also less aggressive than a race setup. How do you find it? I was surprised that you have a fair bit of saddle to bar drop, guessing you are relatively long legged - how tall are you? Like the wheels too!
It has exactly the same stack and reach as the previous R3 and R5 (605mm and 396mm respectively for this size 58 specimen), but slightly longer chainstays, a little slacker HT angle, lowered BB, and a tad longer wheelbase. It's extremely stable with just a hint of understeer at lower speeds, but it could be that I'm not used to it yet.

I'm 1.92m with long legs, hence the bardrop. As you say it's not full-on endurance geo, but it's relatively tall for a race bike, but this is suits my body proportions perfectly. I can find very little to fault with the bike honestly.

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

Have you decided to replace the RATs?
If so how are the new ones?
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

siim

by siim

I'm sticking with the provided RAT axles for now. Might upgrade once the bike is completed but at the moment it's not a priority.

TheInnertube

by TheInnertube

Hello guys,
I am new to this forum and i am thinking of doing a build on this frame set aswell. i love this topic but I was wondering how can i follow this so i get a notification if there is a new post?
thanks a lot already,
Greetz, TheInnertube

themidge

by themidge

Click the 'edit' button on the post you just made (first one! Welcome) and below the white box containing the text of you post there is a list of ticky boxes. One of them says something like 'notify me when a reply is posted', tick that box and then click the 'submit' button below.
Then, when a new post is made in this thread you'll see a little '1' next to the word 'notifications' near the top left of you screen on the main page (or any, it's all the same) of the forum.
Hope that helps,
TheMidge

bilwit

by bilwit

thanks for the tip for the Robert Axle Project, been looking for a lightweight solution that's actually compatible for my Roadmachine, all these different standards are a headache :x

mrlobber

by mrlobber

I don't know if this applies to R3 as well, but I just wanted to replace the RAT axles on my R5 Disc, however, Robert Axle Project said (kudos to them that they specifically ask the bike model you want to put the axles on! :beerchug: ) that their RAT axles actually do not fit the latest Cervelo Disc frames because Cervelo have changed some small things :evil: They said they're working for a R5 Disc compatible axle as well, but currently, unfortunately, it means that if you have R5 Disc, you have to use the superheavy stock axles.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

TheInnertube

by TheInnertube

does somebody know if there are turbo trainers which are compatible with zwift and the weird RAT axle system that Cervélo is using?

nesfyl

by nesfyl

TheInnertube wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:14 am
does somebody know if there are turbo trainers which are compatible with zwift and the weird RAT axle system that Cervélo is using?
I ended up replacing the RAT with the standard thru axle Cervelo uses for their S3 and C-series disc bikes. The weight is about the same, but replaces the axle and the weird nut (which is part of the hanger) on the driveside with a threaded one, which makes the bike compatible with any converter out there. I tell you this was one unnecessary expense and headache to contend with. And tbh the 'traditional' thru axle is quicker to replace than the RAT. The hanger part code is DRH-WMN112 according to Cervelo, and you can use any threaded axle you want, but my LBS wasn't selling it without the axle.

Fluffman

by Fluffman

have either of you tried to mount fenders yet? i would be curious to hear how well they work. a number of recent road disc frames have fender mounts built into the frames- BMC Roadmachine for example- so i was disappointed to see Cervelo did not.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com