Cervelo R3 Disc 2018

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

siim

by siim

As told in the first post, the goal was to ride this bike at Maratona Dles Dolomites and I did that! Even though I only managed to do couple of rides before the event, everything went more or less ok. Yes, I did puncture but that was bad luck and too big hole for the sealant to fix.

In total I have about 1000 km now on the bike and I'm happy! The position is good, I dropped the handlebar 5mm and plan to drop at least 5mm more. Ride is on the firm side when comparing to my Roubaix SL4 but that was expected. It took couple of rides in the mountains before I had gained full descending confidence with R3 but one I did, descending was pure joy and I got my new max speed as well. On the climbs the bike is responsive but as some other users in this thread have mentioned, there's slight brake rub when pedalling while standing. I'm not going to worry about it too much now as I plan to switch groupset for next season anyway.

Another niggle is the chain catcher that Cervelo supplies with the frame. It doesn't work! I've dropped the chain couple of times between frame and crankset and it's not nice. Yes, the whole thing was set up by professional mechanic. I need to get some proper K-edge or similar.

What else can I say? Overall I'm happy with the bike but it needs some upgrades now. I just sold the old Roubaix and pedals and saddle went with it so I need new ones for Cervelo. Thinking of Berk and Speedplays. For the groupset I think I'm going to hold out until Sram releases updated and hopefully 12-speed etap disc group. In few months we will have proper winter here so this bike won't be ridden some 4-5 months of year anyway.

Oh, and Maratona was awesome! Next time I need to train more and do the full Maratona. This time I had legs only for the middle 106 km course. Here are some pictures of the trip:
cervelo-maratona - 1.jpg
cervelo-maratona - 2.jpg
cervelo-maratona - 3.jpg
cervelo-maratona - 4.jpg
cervelo-maratona - 5.jpg
Last edited by siim on Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nesfyl

by nesfyl

After riding mine for some time, I wrote an 'overview' for our site: https://www.cyprusroadie.com/blog/2018/ ... 3-disc-di2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

siim

by siim

That was a very nice review/overview! And mostly matches with my experience. However, now I feel the need to reduce the air pressure and perhaps try different seatpost.

mjb152

by mjb152

I'm putting some new wheels on the bike and need to order rotors, it appears that 160mm for the front seems normal now, with 140mm rear. The 2018 R3 disc caem with 140mm at the front, and there's a fitting on teh caliper that says "up for 140mm", can I buy 160's and adjust somehow ?

jlok

by jlok

I see you are using Pro One Tubeless 25c. What's the thickest hex key you could slip in at tire/chainstay gap?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

siim

by siim

@jlok Checked today and 5mm hex touches both tire and frame but can be pushed through with little force.

siim

by siim

More than a year since last update...

Another season has passed. Did not ride as much as I'd wanted but I'm still very happy with the bike. Replaced saddle and now in the happy Berk camp (Lupina padded wide with oval rails). Also handlebar was replaced with carbon version of the Specialized Hover bar.

Last update is that I just got new set of through axles and related hardware which will help me to move away from RAT. This new set is something Cervelo recently started to sell and fair bit lighter than the RAT version.

Rear axle 36.7 g. RAT was 67.5
cervelo-axles - 1.jpg
Derailleur hanger and frame insert for the TA 16.7 g. Probably same as RAT version.
cervelo-axles - 2.jpg
Front axle 28.5 g. RAT was 60.2
cervelo-axles - 3.jpg
Fork insert for threaded axle 4.2 g. RAT was 6 grams including tiny bolt.
cervelo-axles - 4.jpg

All in all more than 60g saved and there's potential for more because I can now use some WW axles such as J&L.

For reference, here are the part numbers and specs.
- Fork insert: QRI-THD
- Derailleur hanger: DRH-WMN112
- Rear axle: QRA-AERO-R (Length: 170mm, M12xP1.75)
- Front axle: QRA-AERO-R (Length: 127mm, M12xP1.5)

Nixster

by Nixster

Did you resolve the problems with the BOR rings and the chain line?
Wondering because I just bought some!

siim

by siim

Nope, apparently that's how it's supposed to "work" with disc brake bikes: cassette is pushed a bit outside and therefore small-small is no longer to be used. Especially if chainstay is on the short side. Just to clarify: it's not an issue unique to BOR rings. As I've understood it would be the same with other rings as well. If I'd have a bit longer crank spindle and some spacers to use, then chainrings could maybe be moved a bit outboard for improved chainline.

siim

by siim

This year has been great in terms of riding - never done so many km's with the first half of the year (over 4k). As there have been some changes in spec, here's an update.

As posted above, RAT axles were replaced by Cervelo's own hex-headed axles. Much cleaner and lighter.
Switched the handlebar and now using Deda Superleggera RS. Looks much nicer than the riser Specialized Hover bar and also weighs some 20 grams less. Stiffness is about the same or slightly better. I replaced the bar tape as well because Deda traforato never felt good for my hands. New tape is Fizik Vento Microtex Tacky, very nice grip even with sweaty hands in hot conditions. With the handlebar change and lowering the stem a bit I'm now running about 2,5cm more saddle-to-handlebar drop than before and still feeling good. Planning to get even lower to only keep 5mm spacer below the stem. If this works out then I can cut some steerer.

I've been changing tires as well. Mostly I was using Pro One (previous gen) at the front and Vittoria Corsa G2.0 at the rear. Both 25mm and tubeless. With this setup the bike was down to 7,3 kg with pedals, cages and computer mount.
Last week I participated in a race (first of this season!) which was basically a local mini-version of Strade Bianchi with some 25-30% of gravel sections. For this I got a pair of WTB Exposure tires in 30c width and tan walls of course. 294 and 302 grams. They did a great job and I'm keeping them on until next race in August where I'll go back to something narrower. Until then I can explore gravel roads if I feel that way.

Some pictures.
This is how the bike looks at the moment:

WTB Exposure 30c on scale:

Tire width on my narrow (17mm internal) Hunt rims:

This is to give an idea of the race and its gravel sections:

Exhausted but happy myself + dusty bike after the race:
purple - 1.jpeg
wtb-scale - 1.jpeg
wtb - 1.jpeg
wtb - 2.jpeg
vtrr-1.jpg
valgedteed - 2.jpeg

smul

by smul

What benefit did you actually notice with the standard through axles?..apart from weight...

cjm

by cjm

How much clearance is there with those tyres?

kervelo

by kervelo

According to the Cervelo specs the R3 should have 4 mm clearance when 30 mm tyres are used:
https://www.cervelo.com/en/further-clar ... -clearance