BMC Teammachine SLR01 Disc

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

User avatar
dgasmd
Posts: 1313
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:10 am
Location: South Florida

by dgasmd

Very nice, clean, and classy look. Plenty of places left open for weight reduction. It is only a matter of money, right? ha ha ha ha

by Weenie


User avatar
TonyM
Posts: 2418
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:11 pm

by TonyM

matvalse wrote:I've ordered yesterday a TeamMachine SLR01 Disc (Team Edition), size 54, with the new DuraAce di2 and a couple of Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL UST.
In your opinion, how much can be the weight difference?
Why do you prefer the Mavics over the DT Swiss ARC 1100 Dicut 35 db (only available with the TM SLR01 disc team buke), 48 or 62? Or the ERC 1100 Dicut 47 db?

survivor
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:08 pm

by survivor

Nice! High on the wish list.

I'm just wondering whether visually it would be nicer with ENVE SES 3.4...hmm...

jedichurn
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:47 am

by jedichurn

Hi, I just ordered the same bike frame and it should arrive at the end of the month. Right now I am looking at wheels with my LBS and I have my heart set on ENVE 4.5 AR Disc clinchers. He is worried they won't fit because of the tire clearance and on BMC's own website it states 28mm "measured width". I do plan to run 28mm and then you factor in tire plump and wheel flex. Do you have any issues? Rubbing? Thanks!

Delorre
Posts: 960
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 12:09 pm

by Delorre

jedichurn wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:53 am
Hi, I just ordered the same bike frame and it should arrive at the end of the month. Right now I am looking at wheels with my LBS and I have my heart set on ENVE 4.5 AR Disc clinchers. He is worried they won't fit because of the tire clearance and on BMC's own website it states 28mm "measured width". I do plan to run 28mm and then you factor in tire plump and wheel flex. Do you have any issues? Rubbing? Thanks!
The SLR01 is a pure race bike, to be used on tarmac or very light gravel. I would forget the 4.5 AR wheels AND 28mm tyres for this build. Stick to a 19 - 21mm inner width rim with a nice 25mm tyre, you will end up at 28mm, and as far as I could see at my lbs, that is about as big as you want to go on an SLR. You could go bigger, but the clearance at the seat stays is already minimal with a 25 Vittoria tyre on stock rims :?

jedichurn
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:47 am

by jedichurn

Delorre wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:49 am
jedichurn wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:53 am
Hi, I just ordered the same bike frame and it should arrive at the end of the month. Right now I am looking at wheels with my LBS and I have my heart set on ENVE 4.5 AR Disc clinchers. He is worried they won't fit because of the tire clearance and on BMC's own website it states 28mm "measured width". I do plan to run 28mm and then you factor in tire plump and wheel flex. Do you have any issues? Rubbing? Thanks!
The SLR01 is a pure race bike, to be used on tarmac or very light gravel. I would forget the 4.5 AR wheels AND 28mm tyres for this build. Stick to a 19 - 21mm inner width rim with a nice 25mm tyre, you will end up at 28mm, and as far as I could see at my lbs, that is about as big as you want to go on an SLR. You could go bigger, but the clearance at the seat stays is already minimal with a 25 Vittoria tyre on stock rims :?
I think I'm going to settle on the ENVE 3.4. Size wise they fit and look wise, it's not bad.

Alex2012
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:32 am

by Alex2012

jedichurn wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:53 am
Hi, I just ordered the same bike frame and it should arrive at the end of the month. Right now I am looking at wheels with my LBS and I have my heart set on ENVE 4.5 AR Disc clinchers. He is worried they won't fit because of the tire clearance and on BMC's own website it states 28mm "measured width". I do plan to run 28mm and then you factor in tire plump and wheel flex. Do you have any issues? Rubbing? Thanks!
Image
Image

That’s 25mm Corsas on ENVE 5.6 which are 19mm internal. 28mm tyres on The 4.5 ARs, which are 25mm internal simply aren’t going to fit. I’ve got 2mm clearance each side at the seatstays. The 4.5 rim alone would be a tight fit at 31mm external vs 25mm on the 5.6.
Last edited by Alex2012 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

survivor
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:08 pm

by survivor

jedichurn wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:26 am
I think I'm going to settle on the ENVE 3.4. Size wise they fit and look wise, it's not bad.
Please share some pics once you have it build. I am keen to see the ENVE 3.4 on BMC SLR01. That is my dream build target for 2018 :D

jedichurn
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:47 am

by jedichurn

Alex2012 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:44 am
jedichurn wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:53 am


That’s 25mm Corsas on ENVE 5.6 which are 19mm internal. 28mm tyres on The 4.5 ARs, which are 25mm internal simply aren’t going to fit. I’ve got 2mm clearance each side at the seatstays. The 4.5 rim alone would be a tight fit at 31mm external vs 25mm on the 5.6.
Thanks for the pics! ENVE 3.4 it is then.

jedichurn
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:47 am

by jedichurn

survivor wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:46 pm
jedichurn wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:26 am
I think I'm going to settle on the ENVE 3.4. Size wise they fit and look wise, it's not bad.
Please share some pics once you have it build. I am keen to see the ENVE 3.4 on BMC SLR01. That is my dream build target for 2018 :D

It should be done by mid to late April. It won't be a weight weenie build. I think it's going to be around 7.4kg. Size 51 frame.

jeffy
Posts: 1261
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:51 pm

by jeffy

jedichurn wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:53 am
Hi, I just ordered the same bike frame and it should arrive at the end of the month.
will be interested to hear what the frameset comes with, particularly what the frame looks like / what the cover for the di1 control junction looks like when fitted. tempted to set up with etap. i assume the frame comes with both direct mount and traditional hangers ...

Alex2012
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:32 am

by Alex2012

I've been looking at areas to save weight. Without changing the bars or making the jump to tubulars, this is my first attempt. Potentially 667g to be saved!

Any further tips would be welcome. Headset perhaps?

Image

User avatar
Klaster1
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:25 am
Location: Krasnoyarsk, Russia

by Klaster1

Alex2012 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:04 am
Any further tips would be welcome. Headset perhaps?
Seatclamp (JRC, MtZoom are ~7g), unless BMC uses a proprietary one.
A seatpost/saddle combo, if compatible, will be in 100-130g range. Lightweight setback seatposts like Ax Lightness Daedalus or MCFK (check out the "for sale" subfoum) are in 100-130g range.
Lightweight stems are in 75-100g range for 100mm, but you'd lose the neat hose routing.
The FSA SL ACB headset bearings are ~37g per set, there's also similar options from KCNC and Cane Creek (AER).
Lightweight saddles are anywhere in ~50-80g range, padded Berk Lupina is about 95g.
The non-aero bars are 155-185g.
CarbonWorks cage is 8g.
Tubolito tubes: 2x38g.
Tesa 4289 as rim tape (6g) or Veloplugs (24pieces are 5g).
Pedals: so much options it's not even funny, anywhere from 70g to 170g.
Chainset: THM Clavicula SE, SRAM Red, etc.
Cassette: Rotor UNO is 134g and is not completely made of aluminium like the Recon.
Chain: PYC.

Also, your brake hoses weight looks off, I've weighted mine (BH90 and BH59) and including furniture at both ends it tips scales at ~55g. Oil adds a couple of grams at best.

To sum it up, you can save almost on every component even without tuning, but the end result might vary a lot depending on your preferences (fit, visuals, aero).

mrlobber
Posts: 673
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:36 am
Location: Where the permanent autumn is

by mrlobber

That's the main problem with the proprietary components - you cannot change them to lighter ones without destroying the beautifully clean-integrated look of the bike.

* Your seatpost area is proprietary, so only place to save weight - saddle. Padded Lupinas from Berk sometimes go as low as 84g, and are absolutely the best weight+comfort combination available without going naked carbon. So around 50g less
* Avoid Recon cassette unless a rare racing day only solution. That leaves either Rotor or SRAM for 40 to 60g savings
* For wheels, if going with AX, I don't see a point for AX clinchers - for training and aero Enves are more than enough. So get all-in with tubs, either Ultra 25T Disc or 38T disc, for around 500g to 700g savings
* For bars, Schmolke TLO Evo is the best (and most expensive :D) non-aero solution, you can order them with inside routing. They'll save around 100g vs Enve
* Pedals... it's hard to counter DA durability. I've had good enough luck with both Look & Time, but YMMV. If you decide, then Look Blades will save 50g

Other smaller things well covered in previous post.

by Weenie


Alex2012
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:32 am

by Alex2012

Klaster1 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:35 am
Alex2012 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:04 am
Any further tips would be welcome. Headset perhaps?
Seatclamp (JRC, MtZoom are ~7g), unless BMC uses a proprietary one.
A seatpost/saddle combo, if compatible, will be in 100-130g range. Lightweight setback seatposts like Ax Lightness Daedalus or MCFK (check out the "for sale" subfoum) are in 100-130g range.
Lightweight stems are in 75-100g range for 100mm, but you'd lose the neat hose routing.
The FSA SL ACB headset bearings are ~37g per set, there's also similar options from KCNC and Cane Creek (AER).
Lightweight saddles are anywhere in ~50-80g range, padded Berk Lupina is about 95g.
The non-aero bars are 155-185g.
CarbonWorks cage is 8g.
Tubolito tubes: 2x38g.
Tesa 4289 as rim tape (6g) or Veloplugs (24pieces are 5g).
Pedals: so much options it's not even funny, anywhere from 70g to 170g.
Chainset: THM Clavicula SE, SRAM Red, etc.
Cassette: Rotor UNO is 134g and is not completely made of aluminium like the Recon.
Chain: PYC.

Also, your brake hoses weight looks off, I've weighted mine (BH90 and BH59) and including furniture at both ends it tips scales at ~55g. Oil adds a couple of grams at best.

To sum it up, you can save almost on every component even without tuning, but the end result might vary a lot depending on your preferences (fit, visuals, aero).
mrlobber wrote: That's the main problem with the proprietary components - you cannot change them to lighter ones without destroying the beautifully clean-integrated look of the bike.

* Your seatpost area is proprietary, so only place to save weight - saddle. Padded Lupinas from Berk sometimes go as low as 84g, and are absolutely the best weight+comfort combination available without going naked carbon. So around 50g less
* Avoid Recon cassette unless a rare racing day only solution. That leaves either Rotor or SRAM for 40 to 60g savings
* For wheels, if going with AX, I don't see a point for AX clinchers - for training and aero Enves are more than enough. So get all-in with tubs, either Ultra 25T Disc or 38T disc, for around 500g to 700g savings
* For bars, Schmolke TLO Evo is the best (and most expensive :D) non-aero solution, you can order them with inside routing. They'll save around 100g vs Enve
* Pedals... it's hard to counter DA durability. I've had good enough luck with both Look & Time, but YMMV. If you decide, then Look Blades will save 50g

Other smaller things well covered in previous post.
Thanks, plenty of food for thought there. As mrlobber points out, seatpost and seatclamp are proprietary so only option there is the saddle, Lupina therefore added to my list!

Stem is proprietary also due to the squared off steerer to allow the hose to be run internally. On the subject of hose weights, I think I've quoted the uncut lengths there, that likely accounts for the difference between my measured and calculated weights.

I'll pull out the headset this weekend to see if FSA have one that will fit.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post