Filament Road Disc Build thread

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Titusrider

by Titusrider

Hi all

Finally starting a thread to document my build and introduce myself properly. I have been riding MTB since 1998 and road since 2010 but have only ever had one road bike and its time for a change. This is the existing bike which i love:
ImageIMG-1691 (1) by Calvin, on Flickr

However it needs
- Discs
- lose a little weight

Therefore the theme of my build is: One bike to ride all year, fast

Therefore I went looking for racy disc frames with through axles and came up with a very short list.... there arnt many, especially with short chainstays. Looked at custom across all materials but im only 65kg and didn't want to take the hit of a heavy frame on top of the disc weight penalty.

Finally came across Filament (having once seen them at Bespoked a few years ago)

So I am now in the queue (behind Jever98) awaiting my frame in Feb. My geometry is copied very closely from the Cannondale six i ride now, I'm happy and settled in my current position and handling.
ImageUntitled by Calvin, on Flickr

So thats the frame, paint job is likely to be a splatter along the lines of a number of his bikes.

Build kit has already been pretty much bought (yes i got excited and bought most of it too early!) and is as follows:
ImageBuild by Calvin, on Flickr

Disappointed quite how much those R9120 shifters weigh but im determined to stick with mechanical and discs only make any sense when they are hydraulic. So excited to finally have something from extralite too because i remember browsing that website when i was growing up daydreaming about the F1/F2 full sus bikes (it still looks the same!).

My two remaining concerns:
- Paint color choices!!
- Will the SRAM red crankset play nicely with the shimano front mech? anyone got any experience?

Will update as I go into build and finally get my hands on it!

romalor

by romalor

No specific issues with sram crank and shimano transmission but Rotor are not the best for shifting, durability
When they are done , look at the Absolute black ones ;) Best oval chainrings I've had and they shift like good round rings

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Titusrider

by Titusrider

pedals tuned in prep for the new frame, an experiment that im not too attached to but thought id have a go. Had to put them back together twice after putting the wrong axle in the wrong pedal first time round. Had to clean some swarf from the threads of the axles, hopefully not a poor quality indicator. We will see.

Pedals were 260g, spot on shimano spec

Original Axle

Ti Axle + cat trying to help

Finished pedals

RyanH

by RyanH

You may want to reconsider those spindles. From my understanding, Shimano pedals use the spindle as part of the race and Ti wears too quickly.

viewtopic.php?t=146927

Titusrider

by Titusrider

Tis indeed true that they use the spindle as the race, i will keep an eye and report back. As i said, didnt set me back much and happy to try as an experiment. I'll take them apart in a couple of months and see if there is wear on the races

Titusrider

by Titusrider

r9120 shifter weight

berk lupina padded round rail 89g

fizik r00 seatpost 31.6 * 330mm will be cut down

SRAM Red crankset, rings will stay for now

Jagwire shift kit, full lengths

lizard skins 2.5mm bar tape

Extralite stem 90mm

Sworks compact bar 40mm

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Disappinting how your ST-R9120 weights a whopping 553g if the same shifters weighted by r2-bikes are 530g and 553g for ST-R8020. Those extra 23g must be from housing nuts and yellow plugs. I wonder if mechanical shifters will get much lighter in the future.

Titusrider

by Titusrider

Klaster1 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:59 pm
Disappinting how your ST-R9120 weights a whopping 553g if the same shifters weighted by r2-bikes are 530g and 553g for ST-R8020. Those extra 23g must be from housing nuts and yellow plugs. I wonder if mechanical shifters will get much lighter in the future.
Yeah was pretty unhappy with that, these have come with the fluid inside so i can only presume that people are weighing empty shifters?

I hope they get lighter but there is a lot going on in there. Maybe i should have gone di2 but would have been even more expensive and i really dont want an 'electical' bike. Bikes should be mechanical to me, easily fixed and not need charging.

DJT21

by DJT21

Klaster1 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:59 pm
Insane weight (half a pound heavier than my ten year old Veloce shifters!), but I guess what did you expect? Shimano shifters always weigh far more than the competition.

Titusrider

by Titusrider

Its here and ridden in - 7.3kg all in

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Nice build but I do not understande Sram Red crank.

Titusrider

by Titusrider

bruno2000 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:11 pm
Nice build but I do not understande Sram Red crank.
A number of reasons
- lighter
- native bb30 fitting matched PF30 bottom bracket
- The Duraace 9100 crank has a reputation for the black finish rubbing off very quickly

jekyll man

by jekyll man

1991 kona called- they want they're cindercone back! :lol:

Looks great! :thumbup:
Official cafe stop tester

Miller

by Miller

That splatter finish hides road dirt very well, lol.

Great looking bike, how does it ride?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com