Argon 18 Gallium Pro build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

cveks

by cveks

I like your build a lot. Are brakes direct mount or dual pivot? It looks like direct mounts to me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RuskinAsh

by RuskinAsh

cveks wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:13 pm
I like your build a lot. Are brakes direct mount or dual pivot? It looks like direct mounts to me.
Thanks! The brakes are dual pivot.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

stormur wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:57 pm
1. Why Ultegra brakes ? Force 22 are lighter and with better clearance... cheaper too.
Pairing Shimano brakes with SRAM shifters results in a stronger initial 'bite' so less lever force to get the same braking. May result in less modulation though. That said I do find that Shimano brakes generally have better clearance than their SRAM counterparts. They (Shimano) are heavier but a hell of a lot stiffer.

Some may find the above combination of Shim/SRAM too grabby but I do prefer the on/off feel of the Shimano/SRAM pairing.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

crux

by crux

Which frame size is this?

jellytots

by jellytots

Looks like an XS - these Gallium Pro frames run long TT and reach, plus a long reach handlebar which might explain the short stem setup.

Looks like a nice build overall - finish built pics pls!

cveks

by cveks

I just completed my build of Argon 18 Gallium Pro like 30 days ago

Group is newest Sram Red 22 mechanical, and with Novatec clincher wheels bike has 6.6 kg without pedals in L 57 cm size .

Weight is not so important for me, but bike feel and ride is SUPERB

It is really mountain conqueror, it feels very light and its stiff and comfortable what I did not expected from this frameset.

I compare it with my other bike Bianchi OLTRE XR4 with Campagnolo Super Record and tubular carbon HED wheels, comfort is almost same , but Argon 18 feels lighter faster and more responsive. It suits me better and my Strava results does not lie - I have slightly better times with it than with Bianchi.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Double post pls delete
Last edited by Lewn777 on Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

istigatrice wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:29 am
stormur wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:57 pm
1. Why Ultegra brakes ? Force 22 are lighter and with better clearance... cheaper too.
Pairing Shimano brakes with SRAM shifters results in a stronger initial 'bite' so less lever force to get the same braking. May result in less modulation though. That said I do find that Shimano brakes generally have better clearance than their SRAM counterparts. They (Shimano) are heavier but a hell of a lot stiffer.

Some may find the above combination of Shim/SRAM too grabby but I do prefer the on/off feel of the Shimano/SRAM pairing.
Hell yes! I love the feel of SRAM levers with Shinao calipers. 20 years on mc's, 15 years MTB, 5 years road. Don't listen to the 'but the pull ratio' naysayers. How could SRAM levers work with EE and various other aftermarket calipers unless they worked well Shimano too? Of course Shimano and SRAM always insist everything on your bike should always only be made by them, good business sense! :D

Jugi

by Jugi

I had a sub-par experience with SRAM's TT brake levers and Shimano's 6800 brake calipers.

Maybe the TT levers were a bit limited on the amount of cable they were able to pull, but basically I had to adjust the pads very close to the rims and when braking I got a strong bite immediately, but then not much more. When the rare occasion of really having to brake on a TT bike presented itself, things got scary really fast when the brakes were not easy to modulate.

Lähetetty minun TA-1004 laitteesta Tapatalkilla