Electronic shifting 25 years ago: Look KG 176 with Mavic ZMS 8000 ZAP

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

schs

by schs

In 1992 Mavic introduced the first electronic shifting groupset, the Mavic ZMS 8000 (ZAP). I had the chance to find a complete groupset NOS/NIB. This week I finished the setup of my Look KG 176 frame with the ZAP group. More pics in my blog.

Ulver

by Ulver

That looks fantastic. How does it compare to the modern day equivalents?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

schs

by schs

Ulver wrote:That looks fantastic. How does it compare to the modern day equivalents?

It's horrible :mrgreen:
A bit more specific: the ZAP is a electro-mechanic shifting system. So it's very slow compared to todays electronic shifting groups. I made 2 videos to show the shifting in action. One with the Mavic test device which can be used to check the electronics.

https://youtu.be/o2y_4zY0Pbo
https://youtu.be/gl2CJTSampI

Rich_W

by Rich_W

I had a two ride experience with Mavic Mektronic back in the day on a demo CAAD2 bike. Powered by little CR2032 batteries... both rides batteries failed and I was humping that thing up the climb to my house in the 39/11. I even remember the rear deraileur stopped working, so I swapped the front battery to the rear.

That vintage look build looks lovely as a piece of cycling art/history... but bring your UBER app if you head off on it :D

Bondurant

by Bondurant

That is beautiful. It should be in a museum.

schs

by schs

Rich_W wrote:I had a two ride experience with Mavic Mektronic back in the day on a demo CAAD2 bike. Powered by little CR2032 batteries... both rides batteries failed and I was humping that thing up the climb to my house in the 39/11. I even remember the rear deraileur stopped working, so I swapped the front battery to the rear.

That vintage look build looks lovely as a piece of cycling art/history... but bring your UBER app if you head off on it :D

:mrgreen:

TonyM

by TonyM

Great built!
I can remember 25 years ago some guys tried it but they gave up as it did not work when it was humid or when some temperature changes occurred.
Nevertheless, that was an innovation and it is great to see that some companies try to find some major innovation for us. "marginal gains" is somehow pretty much marketing compared to that.

One month ago I rode with Di2 and I have to admit that this is just great! You can really focus on the ride and less on the shifting! For me it was like 25 years ago the STi from Shimano.

Seedster

by Seedster

How cool is this build! wow, that must have been a fun project.

Kudos for a super clean build.

michel2

by michel2

a mate of mine had the later zap group, the electric mavic group in the early 2000's. although he wasn't allowed to say anything bad about he toke it of his bike just as quickly as it went on !

schs

by schs

Seedster wrote:How cool is this build! wow, that must have been a fun project.

Kudos for a super clean build.

Thanks. Yes, that was an exiting project. It's true, the ZAP was technically not perfect. It was no surprise that Mavic ended this adventure in 1994, two years after the introduction. But I still think that electro-mechanical gear shifting is an interesting concept.

schs

by schs

michel2 wrote:a mate of mine had the later zap group, the electric mavic group in the early 2000's. although he wasn't allowed to say anything bad about he toke it of his bike just as quickly as it went on !

Ah yes, the Mavic Mektronic. Mavic was again ahead of it's time with this group. The Mektronic was the first wireless shifting system. It had one important characteristic in common with the Mavic ZAP:it didn't work very well :mrgreen: I have two bikes with the Mektronic. In most cases it works, but when I come across power lines or when e-bikes are too near it happens the the Mektronic crashes and I have to reset the controlling device. control-alt-delete on a bike, how cool is that :D

Some pics of my Look KG 381 Team and the CAT Cheetah

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Wow! Does this bring back memories. On our local group ride, someone was sporting the Zap version groupset right when it first came out. As we began to roll out it began to rain. About 10 minutes later, the rear derailleur stopped working.

Fantastic build, and quite a significant bit of history!

Asteroid

by Asteroid

Bridgeman wrote:Wow! Does this bring back memories. On our local group ride, someone was sporting the Zap version groupset right when it first came out. As we began to roll out it began to rain. About 10 minutes later, the rear derailleur stopped working.

Possibly the same ride in SoCal? The rider owned a shop (still does) and would always ride some of the latest gadgetry. Seems that experience in the rain "zapped" his enthusiasm for the system.

Yes...very nice build...don't you dare ride it! :mrgreen:
Oldbie

schs

by schs

Asteroid wrote:Yes...very nice build...don't you dare ride it! :mrgreen:

Maybe, maybe in a few month on a warm, dry and sunny Sunday morning I will take it for a ride. Hopefully everything will work perfectly and the ride will stay as an unforgettable memory. And if it's not working, well, no one will have seen me and it simply didn't happen :mrgreen:

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Asteroid wrote:
Bridgeman wrote:Wow! Does this bring back memories. On our local group ride, someone was sporting the Zap version groupset right when it first came out. As we began to roll out it began to rain. About 10 minutes later, the rear derailleur stopped working.

Possibly the same ride in SoCal? The rider owned a shop (still does) and would always ride some of the latest gadgetry. Seems that experience in the rain "zapped" his enthusiasm for the system.

Yes...very nice build...don't you dare ride it! :mrgreen:

This was a NorCal occurrence. I think it's safe to say this and more were happening everywhere the group was sold.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com