BMC RoadMachine02 as my new rain & winter bike

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Were you able to order the roadmachine 02 as a frameset? Or did you buy the whole bike and sell off all the components?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bilwit

by bilwit

iamraymond wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 7:04 pm
Were you able to order the roadmachine 02 as a frameset? Or did you buy the whole bike and sell off all the components?
I'm pretty sure BMC only sell the RM01 (better carbon but no fender mounts) as frameset-only (unlike some brands that let resellers order frameset-only regardless from distribution) so it would have to be up to your dealer to see how (or if) they would want to do it.

In my case, they told me that if I wanted a custom build on the RM02, I would have to buy the whole bike and gave me the option to either be credited for 50% MSRP of all the components I wanted to replace or take the parts and sell them myself on ebay or whatever.. I ended up taking the credit (I already had most of the parts ready to transfer from my old bike anyway, just needed to buy DA rotors+shifters+brakes from the dealer).

It's worth a shot asking your dealer though, I luckily had the white Teammachine SLR01 sold to me as frameset-only despite it only sold as a whole-bike only (same shop wouldn't do the same for me with the Roadmachine a few months later :lol: )

TonyM

by TonyM

You can buy the RM01 as a frameset but you don’t have the hidden fender mounts.

As BMC doesn’t sell the RM02 as a frameset I had to buy a full bike (the RM02 ONE because of the colour I wanted) and sell the Ultegra Di2 etc...and replace everything. I only kept the frame and the proprietary seat post. I also kept the 3T wheelset just in case I need another wheelset and as they were not worth a lot of money for the resale). I also changed the stem and the handlebar to the Pro Vibe stem and Pro Vibe carbon handlebar. It was by far not the cheapest method but I intend to keep this bike for the next 20 years so that I figured out that for me it was worth the cost.

Funny enough there is a guy in the club I joined a few months ago who bought just the same bike (in that same colour) last winter. He however uses it as his summer bike and kept all original parts except the wheels which he swapped for Zipp NSWs).

tomee

by tomee

Did you weigh the frame and fork itself?
looking at these as i like the look of them

BMC site says the frame is 1kg with 400g fork

TonyM

by TonyM

Sorry no I didn’t. But the frame and fork are surely not as light as a Tarmac, Emonda, etc....

That was however the lightest and best frame that I found having a road geometry (with the low headset cone) and hidden fender mounts.
Last edited by TonyM on Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TonyM

by TonyM

Quick update on the DT Swiss endurance ERC wheels:

They are fantastic!! They look good, are aero and they survived several big potholes! A very big advantage for a rain/ winter bike!

I meanwhile saw that DT Swiss declares these endurance ERC wheels are ok for jumps to 15cm (not the case for the ARC or PRC wheels).

tgsparky77

by tgsparky77

Awsome looking build TonyM. I purchased the stock 02 One and put a set of ERC 1400 on straight away. Love the bike. Colour pops and it is quick. So glad I forked out the extra cash and got what I wanted. "Buy Once, Cry Once" lol.....Im in Australia so the weather is a little less crappy here so I dont need fenders. I was going to run tubless but a couple of mates have had really bag issues with them and messy. I run tyres liners and havent had a flat for 2000km (shouldnt have said that lol)
Attachments
IMG_4291.jpg

donjarleone

by donjarleone

Hi!
Very nice setup!

Was was wondering if the 35 mm SKS fenders you use are these: https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products ... s-matt-35/ ?

Thanks!

TonyM

by TonyM

Yes but the longer version in 35mm:

https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products ... ard-black/

octave

by octave

this is so great.

i literally just picked up a 2018 RMO2 flat bar on a nice discount and am going to strip it and rebuild it with mechanical ultegra r8020. i have been looking for a bike that take mudguards but keeps a bit of that race edge, and this seems to do the trick. it won't be as fancy as TonyM's but i think it will turn out well!

thanks for the inspiration.

TonyM

by TonyM

Honestly, Shimano 105 would also be fine for such a rain bike but the main point is that the BMC RM02 is fully fender compatible while having a race geometry.
And it looks good with fenders because of these very nice hidden fender mounts.

It takes some time to adjust the fenders properly but then you are just fine for all rain and winter days.
It is just a pleasure to take it when it rains or in the winter.

Post some pictures when you have finished your RM02.

bilwit

by bilwit

Are you using the frame/bar junction box in the downtube? didn't know BMC had a cover for that for the Roadmachine. I only got the mechanical one and the full cover for electronic.

EDIT: oops, looked at the newer pics of the current models and sure enough they have them too. I have to say mechanical shifting in the wet/cold kind of sucks and the massive hoods on the 9120 shifters is pretty annoying.. going to have to upgrade mine to di2 at some point

TonyM

by TonyM

Yes I have the Di2 junction box in the down tube. That looks the best IMHO (compared to the position at the end of the handlebars).

And yes Di2 is just perfect when it is raining and cold. I use Di2 only for 1 year but that’s a game changer for me.

donjarleone

by donjarleone

TonyM wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:06 pm
Yes but the longer version in 35mm:

https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products ... ard-black/
Thanks!

octave

by octave

hi there!

so i am working on getting my roadmachine 02 set up, and i need some of your wisdom. i ordered the low topcone, and it came with the two extra buts in the picture: the big one is easy to figure out, it is a gasket/seal that slips into the groove on the underside of the topcone. but the small rubber o-ring i can't figure out... it wasn't "installed" or present in any way on the high top cone i removed... do you have any insight??

thanks again for sharing your bike-- it us wonderful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com