BMC RoadMachine02 as my new rain & winter bike

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

TonyM

by TonyM

Sorry I can‘t help as I ordered it with the low cone and the dealer did the work.

If nobody can help you just email BMC as they always replied quickly whenever I asked them something.

octave

by octave

i am silly-- it came to me in my sleep last night; it is an o-ring that goes in a channel on the inner edge of the spacer to help grip the steerer tube.

never try and set something up when you are tired! had i been awake and thought about it a minute i would have realized pretty quickly. in any case, thanks for your response, and also for the thread that motivated me to build up a roadmachine as my winter/rain/cruise with my girlfriend bike. Image

quick photo below-- just need mudguards, a front light and to finalize the stem position!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

Looks good! :thumbup:

Yepp I also NEVER start something like a repair etc... in the evening. That went wrong many time in the past also for me.... :P

bilwit

by bilwit

do you know if the RM02 supports the ICS stem integration? no right? because the fork/steerer is different?

TonyM

by TonyM

bilwit wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:38 pm
do you know if the RM02 supports the ICS stem integration? no right? because the fork/steerer is different?
That's a good question indeed! I don't know actually but I guess it doesn't....I am going to ask BMC.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

bilwit wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:38 pm

It doesn’t support the integration due to the different fork on the RM01 which has flattened sides on the steerer to allow the hoses/wires to pass. With that said, the RM02 from 2019 do come with an ICS stem which doesn’t have the internal cable routing used.

I assume that stem would be slightly different than the RM01 stem. The RM01 comes with two metal shims that go on ether side of the steerer to ensure the stem clamps the steerer without crushing the tube. The RM02 ICS stem wouldn’t need these metal shims and it wouldn’t need the two little knubs inside the bottom part of the stem which prevent the metal shims from falling into the frame.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Some pictures to show what I mean about the ‘shims’ and ‘knubs’.
Attachments
63B1AFB1-0DE6-4C05-B711-4B2538827B74.jpeg
51C8F552-93C4-4DBC-9CCF-010E42C9DC85.jpeg

TonyM

by TonyM

Here the answer I received from BMC for the ICS Stem:

"Thank you for your inquiry. The Roadmachine 02 is able to have an ICS01 stem installed on it, however the hydraulic cables will continue to be routed external from the stem. You will also need to use the Roadmachine 01 headset top cone, which integrates with the ICS01 stem and spacers."

bilwit

by bilwit

TonyM wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:46 pm
Here the answer I received from BMC for the ICS Stem:

"Thank you for your inquiry. The Roadmachine 02 is able to have an ICS01 stem installed on it, however the hydraulic cables will continue to be routed external from the stem. You will also need to use the Roadmachine 01 headset top cone, which integrates with the ICS01 stem and spacers."
Figured that would be the case, that's kind of a shame. I'm going to use spiral wrap for the hydraulic cable and the di2 cable which is going to look really strange having to do it for such a long section the way the rear hydraulic cable routes on the RM02.. wish they would have just punched a hole in the headtube for it instead.

BMCRider

by BMCRider

TonyM wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:44 am

TonyM,

GREAT LOOKING BIKE MAN!!!
I used your pics over and over again while I made the decision on our WaterMelon Color Way and Model.
I just got mine last night and wanted to ask.
How did you get your front cables to look so clean?

Do you have a sleeve cover for the Di2 and rear disc brake cable?
Your cables are shorter and much cleaner than what I received from factory.
I appreciate any tips you can send my way.

Thanks!!!

bilwit

by bilwit

BMCRider wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:48 pm
TonyM,

GREAT LOOKING BIKE MAN!!!
I used your pics over and over again while I made the decision on our WaterMelon Color Way and Model.
I just got mine last night and wanted to ask.
How did you get your front cables to look so clean?

Do you have a sleeve cover for the Di2 and rear disc brake cable?
Your cables are shorter and much cleaner than what I received from factory.
I appreciate any tips you can send my way.

Thanks!!!
He used heat shrink wrap. Going to be tough to do if everything is already setup (you have to insert both cables in the shrink tube before heating it.. which means you have to unbleed the hydraulic cable/dettach the di2 cable and redo it.

I used 1/4" spiral wrap on mine which can be done post-installation:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IK ... UTF8&psc=1

TonyM

by TonyM

Yepp I used heat shrink tube!

You can also use some black electrical tape until you wrap it with the heat shrink tube.

TonyM

by TonyM

WindyOliver wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:36 am
Nice bike and I like it very much. Since you mentioned winter, what gear would you have for cycling? Winter coats and jackets are essential, I think. And as for the rain, there should be the rainy day outfits, for example, rain jacket.
For the rainy days I usually have the Sportful No Rain or Castelli Nanoflex bibs and leg warmers, Velotoze overshoes over some belgian booties, Assos baselayers 3.4 or 4.4 and as rain jacket the Castelli Tempesta, GoreTex One Shakedry or the new Assos Equipe RS rain jacket. And an Assos Rain cap under the helmet. Depending on the amount of rain, duration of the ride and temperature I have several kind of gloves ranging fromn the Assos neoprene rain gloves to some GoreTex gloves etc....

BCL

by BCL

Fantastic build!
Your thread inspired me to go ahead and pull the trigger on a RM as my winter/rain bike too.
Even though it's a much lower spec, it's the perfect Winter "beater" for me right now.

2017 BMC RM03
Shimano 105
Mavic Cosmic Carbon
SKS fenders
Some Crappy Platforms at the moment for my boots.

Here's a couple iPhone shots. More later
Attachments
APC_0088.jpg
IMG_4054.jpg

TonyM

by TonyM

Looks good

That makes also a real good commuter without spending to much $$!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com