BMC RoadMachine02 as my new rain & winter bike

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

TonyM

by TonyM

m66 wrote:Bestest rain bike ever..

I don't see a size 50 listed in their geometry? 51 perhaps? How tall are you?
Yes it is a 51 cm (my mistake. I have corrected it now; Thanks!). I am 171 cm but 78.5cm inseam only. This is why I use a 110mm stem (-10 degrees), no spacers and the low head cap.
(the 47 would have obliged me to have an even much longer stem and that would have changed the handling too much).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Andres

by Andres

TonyM wrote:
Bravo, fantastic build.

bilwit

by bilwit

What's your saddle to bb measurement on this thing?

you've inspired me to have the itch to get an RM02 winter/rain specific bike too :x the hidden fender mounts are too good

other than a more sloping TT, geometry comparing size 54 with the RM and TM look pretty spot regarding the reach+drop excluding the headcones, wouldhave to scoot the saddle back a bit (red is the RM and green is the TM):

TonyM

by TonyM

Yes the geometry of the Roadmachine is like a road race bike when you use the lower head cone, that’s why I bought it as my winter/ rain bike. With the regular head cone the geometry is more endurance like.

Many other bikes with hidden fender mounts have a more endurance geometry (Focus paralane, Trek Domane, etc...).

I will measure it tomorrow!

TonyM

by TonyM

Well after my solo ride today of more than 5 hours in the rain and with temperatures around 1C to 4C I really can confirm you that having a dedicated winter/ rain bike which is “similar” to you summer road bike is super nice. You really don’t feel to do a winter training with a crap bike and fighting against the weather with bad “weapons”. So nice to be able to accelerate when you want and almost like with the summer bike.

The Dura Ace Di2 works perfectly and especially when it is raining, cold and windy like today it is something even nicer as you just can rely on it and shift so easily depending in the wind/ crosswinds.

My choice to have premium mid profile wheels for my winter/ rain bike may sounds crazy for some but in days like today with wind (and the rain and cold) you really appreciate the “aero” help of these against the wind when you ride solo for 5 hours. I will see how long they last however...

Here BTW the measurement that you ask for: 67.5 cm between BB and top of the middle of the saddle (Sella Italia kit Carbonio). My RM is a size 51cm.

ThunderJack07

by ThunderJack07

Did you paint the front cover of the Vibe stem in black, what did you use to do that? It seems that stock they only come with the ugly "V" in natural aluminum colour. Good decision to make it black if you did paint it. Looks way better and stealthier. By the way what is your opinion on the Pro Vibe cockpit? Saw some really positive reviews about it comfort wise but would be interested on your opinion. Do you notice the smaller tubes on the drops? And of course, nice build!
BMC Teammachine SLR01 - MY18 - 6.87kg
S-Works Venge Disc - MY21 - 7.07kg

TonyM

by TonyM

ThunderJack07 wrote:Did you paint the front cover of the Vibe stem in black, what did you use to do that? It seems that stock they only come with the ugly "V" in natural aluminum colour. Good decision to make it black if you did paint it. Looks way better and stealthier. By the way what is your opinion on the Pro Vibe cockpit? Saw some really positive reviews about it comfort wise but would be interested on your opinion. Do you notice the smaller tubes on the drops? And of course, nice build!
Yes I painted the V of the stem as I also didn’t like this big V. I used a matte posca pen but a sharpie or better a matte should work also I think.

The Pro Vibe aero handlerbar is really fantastic. I really live it. It really give you the feeling that you ride a fast bike. I personally line the thinner drops as I use it with gloves and that way it feels very good. Comfort is very good. A point which was is important to me as in the rain I don’t always see which part of the road is better. I highly can recommend it. Ok if you have large hands it may feel to skinny maybe.

bilwit

by bilwit

TonyM wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:45 am
My choice to have premium mid profile wheels for my winter/ rain bike may sounds crazy for some but in days like today with wind (and the rain and cold) you really appreciate the “aero” help of these against the wind when you ride solo for 5 hours. I will see how long they last however...
Interesting.. I think I would opt for as low profile rim as possible for a winter/rain bike (maybe 30-35mm at very most). I go through some really exposed and narrow sections/bridges regularly that can have some pretty violent wind (straight, consistent tail or headwind is rare) and my front wheel can get tossed around with anything more than 25mm.. not a very comfortable situation especially downhill. Manageable of course but still very sketchy. The aero tradeoff is just not worth it to me in the potential for those conditions.

What is the concern about durability?

TonyM

by TonyM

I get your point! Safety first. However it depends on the wheels how they handle the crosswinds. Stay safe and go for a low profile or go for mid profile but from wheels manufacturers that have focussed on this. DT Swiss focussed on that point for the development with Swissside of their new wheels ARC and ERC. Zipp did the same with their NSW profile. The DT Swiss ERC are good in crosswinds even with the mudguards.

https://www.roadrevolution18.dtswiss.com/endurance/

And scroll to steering/ steer moment

The DT Swiss are as good as the Zipp 303 FC in terms of steer moment!

In terms of durability I hope that the bearings (in my case with the ERC 1100 Dicut wheels ceramic bearings from DT Swiss) will be able to handle the continuous rain, the grit and possibly some salt (winter). They were not that cheap. After this winter I will service these and see how it looks...hopefully the bearings have no problems, or I have to replace the bearings.

MAsshole

by MAsshole

Definitely an inspiration for my BMC RM02.

Need to pony up the cash though and my other hobbies are just as expensive as biking when travel is factored in :unbelievable:

I've got the yellow version, do you have any issues keeping yours "clean"? I've found that the grease on the chain-stays doesn't come off cleanly but rather spreads until it becomes less noticeable from afar.

TonyM

by TonyM

Mine stays quote clean despite the rides in the rain I am surprised.
The product I use for protection is working very good and I can highly recommend it :thumbup:

Dr. Wack F100 Matt-Care Spray:
https://wackchem.com/products/bike-care ... care-spray#

morganllj

by morganllj

TonyM wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:44 am
My old rain and winter bike was a 20 y.o Colnago Dream Aluminum with the 25 y.o. Dura Ace STi 8 speed and 1. gen Mavic Ksyrium.
It was however time to upgrade for the next 25 years... :lol:

Now here my 2018 BMC RoadMachine 02 (size 51) with Dura Ace Di2 9170, Pro Vibe Stem/ handlebar (110mm/42cm), BMC low head cone, DT Swiss ERC Dicut 1100 DB 47, Vittoria Open Pavé 25mm, Vittoria latex tubes and the SKS fenders for the rain/ winter. I have also some long mudguards that I attach to it for the group rides.

Weight w/ fenders, Garmin mount, pedals, 2 bottle cages and Rotlicht mount: 7.9kg

I love your bike! I'm looking to buy a RoadMachine and don't understand how the fenders mount. In particular the front lacks a stay at the back of the upper fork and the mounts above the rear axle are not on the sides of the triangle. Would you mind posting detailed photos of where the fenders mount to the bike itself? Thanks and thanks for posting this--it's encouraging!

MAsshole

by MAsshole

^I sent him a PM for the pictures, if he doesn't post some soon I'll post the few he sent me.

I'm still hoping to get my RM02 sub-8 kgs (sans fenders) but it's gonna be $$$.

Gotta get the new R-8070 shifters (have the old R-785 currently), get rid of the C35 Pros for some Reynold Assault DBs (can get new for $1000), and then maybe new handlebars. I think I'm sitting ~8.5-9kgs currently. Hopefully that'll knock off ~300gs or so.

This bike is my inspiration for sure. I love the look, especially with the lower head cone

morganllj

by morganllj

MAsshole wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 2:26 pm
^I sent him a PM for the pictures, if he doesn't post some soon I'll post the few he sent me.

I'm still hoping to get my RM02 sub-8 kgs (sans fenders) but it's gonna be $$$.

Gotta get the new R-8070 shifters (have the old R-785 currently), get rid of the C35 Pros for some Reynold Assault DBs (can get new for $1000), and then maybe new handlebars. I think I'm sitting ~8.5-9kgs currently. Hopefully that'll knock off ~300gs or so.

This bike is my inspiration for sure. I love the look, especially with the lower head cone
Great, thanks. I've only done a little comparison shopping but BMCs are not cheap. I'm looking at a Roadmachine 03 with 105, a little more palatable price-wise though still a lot compared to the competition. If I can mount fenders and a rack it will be worth it.

thanks,

-morgan

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

I am out of town but I will post some pictures in the next days.

Basically the hidden fender mounts are outside the view.

Front: on the inside of the forks and under the fork crown.
Rear: on the rear dropouts, on the bottom of the seat stay and with an adapter it creates a bridge on the upper seat stay.