BMC RoadMachine02 as my new rain & winter bike

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

morganllj

by morganllj

TonyM wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 3:15 pm
I am out of town but I will post some pictures in the next days.

Basically the hidden fender mounts are outside the view.

Front: on the inside of the forks and under the fork crown.
Rear: on the rear dropouts, on the bottom of the seat stay and with an adapter it creates a bridge on the upper seat stay.
I'll be interested to see the photos. Where did you get the adapter for the rear dropouts and does the seat stay have a central threaded hole? I saw the side mounts at the top of the stays for the rack. Also for the front how did you mount the top of the fender to the forks?

thanks,

-morgan

TonyM

by TonyM

Here some pics that I have on my phone.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

morganllj wrote:
I'll be interested to see the photos. Where did you get the adapter for the rear dropouts and does the seat stay have a central threaded hole? I saw the side mounts at the top of the stays for the rack. Also for the front how did you mount the top of the fender to the forks?

thanks,

-morgan
I got the adapter from my LBS. The holes in the seat stays, seat tube, forks and fork crown are all threaded from BMC. The front fender is attached with the two fender mounts on the forks and on the top to the inside of the fork crown. I hope you can see all that on the pics (I taped the screw of the attachment to the fork crown inside the fender). I protected the seat tube and fork crown attachment to the fender with some tape in order to avoid some scratches and noises.

morganllj

by morganllj

TonyM wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 4:37 pm
morganllj wrote:

thanks,

-morgan
I got the adapter from my LBS. The holes in the seat stays, seat tube, forks and fork crown are all threaded from BMC. The front fender is attached with the two fender mounts on the forks and on the top to the inside of the fork crown. I hope you can see all that on the pics (I taped the screw of the attachment to the fork crown inside the fender). I protected the seat tube and fork crown attachment to the fender with some tape in order to avoid some scratches and noises.

That's exactly what I was looking for. My local BMC dealer promises they have the adapters, I'm encouraged to see that such a thing exists despite my coming up short trying to find an online source. I'll follow up with them.

If anyone has an online source I'd love to see it should my dealer come up short. Please forgive my skepticism, I've been on the hunt for some time for an endurance bike with fenders and everyone talks a good game but when the rubber meets the road it's a series of compromises and half-baked proprietary solutions. This is the first real deal that I've seen and it's encouraging.

thanks, I appreciate the help.

-morgan

bilwit

by bilwit

morganllj wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:10 pm
TonyM wrote:
morganllj wrote:

thanks,

-morgan

That's exactly what I was looking for. My local BMC dealer promises they have the adapters, I'm encouraged to see that such a thing exists despite my coming up short trying to find an online source. I'll follow up with them.

If anyone has an online source I'd love to see it should my dealer come up short. Please forgive my skepticism, I've been on the hunt for some time for an endurance bike with fenders and everyone talks a good game but when the rubber meets the road it's a series of compromises and half-baked proprietary solutions. This is the first real deal that I've seen and it's encouraging.

-morgan
I'm pretty sure TonyM's is a custom piece. Mine came with two little tabs that have an almost 90 degree bend (not really sure WHERE the hell they were supposed to go) but I used them to cross over, then thread a bolt in between the two to secure the fender bridge while individually both also bolted onto the seatstays.. a little awkward but it does the job.
Last edited by bilwit on Fri May 04, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

morganllj

by morganllj

bilwit wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:19 pm
morganllj wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:10 pm
TonyM wrote:
morganllj wrote:

thanks,

-morgan

-morgan
I'm pretty sure TonyM's is a custom piece. Mine came with two little tabs (not really sure WHERE the hell they were supposed to go) but I used them to cross over, then thread a bolt in between the two to secure the fender bridge while individually both also bolted onto the seatstays.. a little awkward but it does the job.
That makes sense. I'm surprised BMC doesn't sell something--it seems like an obvious accessory. Maybe those parts are available from European sources.

Either way thanks for the help--I've wondering how these pieces tied together.

-morgan

bilwit

by bilwit

morganllj wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:23 pm

That makes sense. I'm surprised BMC doesn't sell something--it seems like an obvious accessory. Maybe those parts are available from European sources.

-morgan
The tabs I used came in the accessory kit with the bike but yeah I'm not sure if I'm using them in the intended way, otherwise there would be no seatstay bridge to hold rear fender and virtually nothing else that came with the bike could do the job. I can take a picture of mine when I get home if you want

I'm very glad I came across this thread and decided to do basically the same thing with an RM02, it's the perfect rain bike for me and with the low headset cone, it actually has ~10mm or so LOWER drop than my TM SLR01 (I had to put on a -7 stem on it to match the -17 on the teammachine)

morganllj

by morganllj

bilwit wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:25 pm
morganllj wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:23 pm

-morgan
The tabs I used came in the accessory kit with the bike but yeah I'm not sure if I'm using them in the intended way, otherwise there would be no seatstay bridge to hold rear fender and virtually nothing else that came with the bike could do the job. I can take a picture of mine when I get home if you want

I'm very glad I came across this thread and decided to do basically the same thing with an RM02, it's the perfect rain bike for me and with the low headset cone, it actually has ~10mm or so LOWER drop than my TM SLR01 (I had to put on a -7 stem on it to match the -17 on the teammachine)
I'd love a photo if it's easy. How are you mounting to the rear drop-outs?

-morgan

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

love it... winter bike?.. I could ride that daily and be happy
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

bilwit

by bilwit

morganllj wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:29 pm

-morgan
Same as in TonyM's pic earlier--those parts definitely come stock with the bike. There are "hidden" mounts behind where the chainstay/seatstay connect that has rubber bits covering it. Take those out, then there are two little hooks (one for each side) in the accessory kit that you can bolt in, then bolt your fender stays into it:
TonyM wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 4:34 pm

morganllj

by morganllj

bilwit wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:45 pm
morganllj wrote:

-morgan
Same as in TonyM's pic earlier--those parts definitely come stock with the bike. There are "hidden" mounts behind where the chainstay/seatstay connect that has rubber bits covering it. Take those out, then there are two little hooks (one for each side) in the accessory kit that you can bolt in, then bolt your fender stays into it:
Ah, okay: that's what I was fishing for.

Thanks for the help.

-morgan

morganllj

by morganllj

spdntrxi wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:33 pm
love it... winter bike?.. I could ride that daily and be happy
Haha, agreed. That's my plan: I don't ride enough to justify 2 bikes. My primary bike now is a Sora Bianchi with Road Racer fenders that break off when bumped. Were it not for that I'd keep riding my Bianchi.

-morgan

bilwit

by bilwit

morganllj wrote:

I'd love a photo if it's easy.

-morgan
here it is:

morganllj

by morganllj

bilwit wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 5:16 am
morganllj wrote:

I'd love a photo if it's easy.

-morgan
here it is:

Oh, interesting: those appear to be designed as extensions to mount a rack but certainly work fine as stays for the fenders.

Thanks for the photo and help.

-morgan

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

Yepp the attachment for the rear fender with the bridge is the same like Bilwit. These are some parts that were delivered with the Roadmachine I suppose (I got them from my LBS). These 2 tabs when mounted together can be mounted vertically or horizontally. In the middle there is a hole to attach the screw from the fender.

In my case the metal tab of the rear fender was removed in order to have it looked cleaner.