BMC RoadMachine02 as my new rain & winter bike

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

TonyM

by TonyM

My old rain and winter bike was a 20 y.o Colnago Dream Aluminum with the 25 y.o. Dura Ace STi 8 speed and 1. gen Mavic Ksyrium.
It was however time to upgrade for the next 25 years...

Now here my 2018 BMC RoadMachine 02 (size 51) with Dura Ace Di2 9170, Pro Vibe Stem/ handlebar (110mm/42cm), BMC low head cone, DT Swiss ERC Dicut 1100 DB 47, Vittoria Open Pavé 25mm, Vittoria latex tubes and the SKS fenders for the rain/ winter. I have also some long mudguards that I attach to it for the group rides.

Weight with fenders and the long rear flap (not in the picture), Garmin mount, pedals, 2 bottle cages and Rotlicht mount: 8.15 kg

Edit: now with the Dura Ace powermeter (not in the pictures)
Edit 2: meanwhile I have replaced the DT Swiss ERC Dicut 1100 DB 47 with the DT Swiss PRC 1400 Spline 35 DB (not in the pictures)
Attachments
BMC - 1.jpeg
BMC - 1.jpeg (69.14 KiB) Viewed 16 times
BMC - 1 (6).jpeg
BMC - 1 (6).jpeg (51.85 KiB) Viewed 16 times
BMC - 1 (5).jpeg
BMC - 1 (5).jpeg (51.6 KiB) Viewed 16 times
BMC - 1 (4).jpeg
BMC - 1 (4).jpeg (58.11 KiB) Viewed 16 times
BMC - 1 (3).jpeg
BMC - 1 (3).jpeg (70.27 KiB) Viewed 16 times
BMC - 1 (2).jpeg
BMC - 1 (2).jpeg (59.02 KiB) Viewed 16 times
BMC - 1 (1).jpeg
BMC - 1 (1).jpeg (112.07 KiB) Viewed 16 times
BMC - 1 (7).jpeg
BMC - 1 (7).jpeg (50.25 KiB) Viewed 16 times
BMC - 1 (9).jpeg
BMC - 1 (9).jpeg (208.74 KiB) Viewed 16 times
BMC - 1 (8).jpeg
BMC - 1 (8).jpeg (156.37 KiB) Viewed 16 times
Last edited by TonyM on Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gotgame

by gotgame

Cool bike. Better than my dry bike :)) how are the fenders fixed? They look lean
Colnago e1 gazzetta dello sport - sz52s / Pinarello gan RS ulterga di2 - sz52 / Caadx 2019 vulcano green sz54

TonyM

by TonyM

The BMC Roadmachine 02 (carbon) and Roadmachine 03 (aluminum) have fender mounts on the frame. Inside the fork legs and under the fork crown and in the rear dropout, on the bottom of the seat tube and on the rim brake bridge. That makes the mount quite easy and it looks clean like this.

The fenders are the 35mm SKS fenders. You can use them up to 28mm tires (usually they measure 30mm on 17/19mm rims). I personally use 25mm Vittoria Open Pavé but I may try this winter 28mm Conti 4 seasons.

Mtek

by Mtek

Nice ride. It looks like you have some room for tire width if you wanted. Do you think this frame could handle 30mm tires?

TonyM

by TonyM

Mtek wrote:Nice ride. It looks like you have some room for tire width if you wanted. Do you think this frame could handle 30mm tires?

Yes the BMC Roadmachine 01, 02 and 03 accommodate 30mm tires.

The BMC Roadmachine 02 and 03 when equipped with fenders are said to accommodate 28mm tires. I can confirm that with the SKS 35mm fenders 28mm tires are ok (measured 29.6mm on 19mm rims at 90-95psi).

fa63

by fa63

That is the nicest rain bike I have ever seen :)

slowK

by slowK

Nice bike! How do you find the handling and ride quality? One review I saw mentioned that the ride was on the harsh/stiff side for an endurance style bike. I guess wide tires at lower pressures would largely overcome this.

RazorL

by RazorL

Beautiful bike! Even better than my summer bike!

TonyM

by TonyM

slowK wrote:Nice bike! How do you find the handling and ride quality? One review I saw mentioned that the ride was on the harsh/stiff side for an endurance style bike. I guess wide tires at lower pressures would largely overcome this.

The carbon frame "feels" indeed nicely stiff to me, almost like my road bike. It is partly due to the geometry of the Roadmachine which is quite similar to a road bike when the low head cone is used. Especially in combination without spacer and a long stem. This is my setting as I wanted to have a road bike with fenders for the rain and in the winter and not an endurance bike with fenders. I am using 25mm Vittoria Open Pavé with latex tubes on my DT Swiss Dicut 1100 DB 47 (measured with 26.8mm ) and with 90 psi the ride doesn't feel harsh but very smooth to me (150lbs). You can use up to 28mm tires with fenders on the Roadmachine02. It would certainly be "more" endurance-like if the high head cone is used (the Roadmachine comes standard with the high head cone) but even with this geometry BMC declares the Roadmachine between the road bike and the endurance bike.

I suppose that of you want to have an endurance bike with fenders etc... you could look at the Focus Paralane: Shorter reach, higher stack, said to be confortable, fender mounts, thru-axles, disc brakes, etc...

Seedster

by Seedster

I love the new BMC bikes and I really dislike discs on road frames. So that says a lot.

Congrats on the new build. It is really well specced

slowK

by slowK

TonyM wrote:
slowK wrote:Nice bike! How do you find the handling and ride quality? One review I saw mentioned that the ride was on the harsh/stiff side for an endurance style bike. I guess wide tires at lower pressures would largely overcome this.

The carbon frame "feels" indeed nicely stiff to me, almost like my road bike. It is partly due to the geometry of the Roadmachine which is quite similar to a road bike when the low head cone is used. Especially in combination without spacer and a long stem. This is my setting as I wanted to have a road bike with fenders for the rain and in the winter and not an endurance bike with fenders. I am using 25mm Vittoria Open Pavé with latex tubes on my DT Swiss Dicut 1100 DB 47 (measured with 26.8mm ) and with 90 psi the ride doesn't feel harsh but very smooth to me (150lbs). You can use up to 28mm tires with fenders on the Roadmachine02. It would certainly be "more" endurance-like if the high head cone is used (the Roadmachine comes standard with the high head cone) but even with this geometry BMC declares the Roadmachine between the road bike and the endurance bike.

I suppose that of you want to have an endurance bike with fenders etc... you could look at the Focus Paralane: Shorter reach, higher stack, said to be confortable, fender mounts, thru-axles, disc brakes, etc...

Thank you. Good feedback.

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

amazing!

Clean39T

by Clean39T

Saw one of these in person over the weekend and thought they were gorgeous - the color combo really works nicely. And much respect to BMC for giving us wider tires AND a performance fit!

jbaillie

by jbaillie

That's one extraordinary rain/winter bike. I don't think the performance gulf between this and the new Team Machine is as big as BMC wants us to believe.

Love the colors too.

m66

by m66

Bestest rain bike ever..

I don't see a size 50 listed in their geometry? 51 perhaps? How tall are you?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com