Trek Emonda SLR 2018 Rim Brake Build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

springs
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:07 pm

by springs

ClydesdaleChris wrote:
springs wrote:That is a shame since being able to run Conti 4k 28 is a requirement for my next bike. Would you be able to post a photo of the tight spot?


Back is a lot better than the front, and it only just grazes. With the wheels and my weight, the front rim flex is juuuuust enough to touch the tyres. You may have a different experience. And let’s not forget the 28GP4K is a massive tyre. I’ll try normal 28’s and I know it’ll be fine.

Image

Image

Nice pics, thanks. I wonder if the Bontrager brakes offer more room. At any rate I weigh 130 pounds so maybe it won't be a problem for me :-)

by Weenie


ClydesdaleChris
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 8:53 am

by ClydesdaleChris

springs wrote:
ClydesdaleChris wrote:
springs wrote:That is a shame since being able to run Conti 4k 28 is a requirement for my next bike. Would you be able to post a photo of the tight spot?


Back is a lot better than the front, and it only just grazes. With the wheels and my weight, the front rim flex is juuuuust enough to touch the tyres. You may have a different experience. And let’s not forget the 28GP4K is a massive tyre. I’ll try normal 28’s and I know it’ll be fine.

Image

Image

Nice pics, thanks. I wonder if the Bontrager brakes offer more room. At any rate I weigh 130 pounds so maybe it won't be a problem for me :-)


It is literally only below 10km/h, and only just touches, at full power climbing. You will be fine, unless you can hold 1000w.....
BandiCoote

Eddy Merckx Roubaix70 custom build
Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

DCcyclist
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:09 am

by DCcyclist

ClydesdaleChris wrote:So the brief for this bike is:

Solid, stable "Super Grands-Fondo machine". As I'm (only just) a Clydesdale, I made some concessions to weight, for cost and practicality (though only in so much as a second bottle would add). Hence Ultegra R8000, Fulcrum Quattro Carbons and alloy finishing kit.

The bike still is bang-on 7kg, so even a half-arsed weight-weenie version would be early 6's. if not pushing 5's with carbon tubs and carbon cockpit.

I have MANY physical injuries, from active military service, so please allow me the headset spacers, soft bar tape and some easy gears :thumbup:

Specs:
Emonda SLR 2018 frameset (56cm, H2) Off-the-shelf frameset.
Ultegra R8050 Groupset: 172.5mm cranks, 50/34, 11-30, custom internal frame and bar wiring, internal D-Fly (W111),
Fulcrum Quattro Carbon wheelset,
GP4000SII 28mm tyres,
Bontrager Montrose Pro titanium saddle,
Bontrager Pro 100mm stem,
Bontrager RL Aero bars (44mm)
Bontrager supertack bar tape
Bontrager RL cages
Ultegra 6800 pedals (not broken, dont fix it!)

Tyre clearance is 4mm each side, 5mm top. Tyres are monster-truck big at 31mm. The Emonda swallows them up.

(and before anyone asks, I built this myself, and I'm happy to pass on build tips for the Di2 wiring to anyone)

Image


What kind of plug is this? Do they come with the bartape? Looks pretty cool.

jzinckgra
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:55 pm

by jzinckgra

Trying to decide between emonda and TCR Advanced. May not be able to test ride either one. Which would you choose?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

User avatar
Calnago
Posts: 6242
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:14 pm

by Calnago

Regarding your concern over carrying a larger water bottle in the seattube bottle cage, a different cage may help a lot. Those particular cages you have mounted tend to wrap around the bottle at a very high position, versus other cages such as Arundel Mandible/Dave-O's where that wrap-around comes down towards the middle of the bottle, meaning you don't have to pull it "up" nearly as far to remove it. On really small frames, they move the bottle mounts really low on the seat tube out of necessity, but I do prefer the more symmetrical balanced look of the cages more or less at the same level where space permits.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ClydesdaleChris
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 8:53 am

by ClydesdaleChris

DCcyclist wrote:
ClydesdaleChris wrote:So the brief for this bike is:

Solid, stable "Super Grands-Fondo machine". As I'm (only just) a Clydesdale, I made some concessions to weight, for cost and practicality (though only in so much as a second bottle would add). Hence Ultegra R8000, Fulcrum Quattro Carbons and alloy finishing kit.

The bike still is bang-on 7kg, so even a half-arsed weight-weenie version would be early 6's. if not pushing 5's with carbon tubs and carbon cockpit.

I have MANY physical injuries, from active military service, so please allow me the headset spacers, soft bar tape and some easy gears :thumbup:

Specs:
Emonda SLR 2018 frameset (56cm, H2) Off-the-shelf frameset.
Ultegra R8050 Groupset: 172.5mm cranks, 50/34, 11-30, custom internal frame and bar wiring, internal D-Fly (W111),
Fulcrum Quattro Carbon wheelset,
GP4000SII 28mm tyres,
Bontrager Montrose Pro titanium saddle,
Bontrager Pro 100mm stem,
Bontrager RL Aero bars (44mm)
Bontrager supertack bar tape
Bontrager RL cages
Ultegra 6800 pedals (not broken, dont fix it!)

Tyre clearance is 4mm each side, 5mm top. Tyres are monster-truck big at 31mm. The Emonda swallows them up.

(and before anyone asks, I built this myself, and I'm happy to pass on build tips for the Di2 wiring to anyone)

Image


What kind of plug is this? Do they come with the bartape? Looks pretty cool.


It’s the Di2 Shimano junction box A, which is internal in the bar-end. All wires run inside the bars. The bar tape wrap is entirely my own custom job.
BandiCoote

Eddy Merckx Roubaix70 custom build
Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

ClydesdaleChris
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 8:53 am

by ClydesdaleChris

jzinckgra wrote:Trying to decide between emonda and TCR Advanced. May not be able to test ride either one. Which would you choose?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk


Tough call, I think you will be fine with either. I like the technology used in the Trek.
BandiCoote

Eddy Merckx Roubaix70 custom build
Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

DDX
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:25 am

by DDX

TobinHatesYou wrote:What’s odd is the position of your seat tube bottle cage differs greatly from that of my 54cm H1. I have no such bottle size limitation.


The seat tube bottle cage bolts are much higher on my 54cm H2 :

Image

ClydesdaleChris
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 8:53 am

by ClydesdaleChris

DDX wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:What’s odd is the position of your seat tube bottle cage differs greatly from that of my 54cm H1. I have no such bottle size limitation.


The seat tube bottle cage bolts are much higher on my 54cm H2 :

Image


I might look at a side-loader cage for my seat tube.
BandiCoote

Eddy Merckx Roubaix70 custom build
Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

TobinHatesYou
Posts: 1388
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

DDX wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:What’s odd is the position of your seat tube bottle cage differs greatly from that of my 54cm H1. I have no such bottle size limitation.


The seat tube bottle cage bolts are much higher on my 54cm H2


Is that a 2018 SL or an older SLR?

ClydesdaleChris
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 8:53 am

by ClydesdaleChris

TobinHatesYou wrote:
DDX wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:What’s odd is the position of your seat tube bottle cage differs greatly from that of my 54cm H1. I have no such bottle size limitation.


The seat tube bottle cage bolts are much higher on my 54cm H2


Is that a 2018 SL or an older SLR?


Looks like an older SLR. they had less top tube drop.
BandiCoote

Eddy Merckx Roubaix70 custom build
Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

DCcyclist
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:09 am

by DCcyclist

ClydesdaleChris wrote:
DCcyclist wrote:
ClydesdaleChris wrote:So the brief for this bike is:

Solid, stable "Super Grands-Fondo machine". As I'm (only just) a Clydesdale, I made some concessions to weight, for cost and practicality (though only in so much as a second bottle would add). Hence Ultegra R8000, Fulcrum Quattro Carbons and alloy finishing kit.

The bike still is bang-on 7kg, so even a half-arsed weight-weenie version would be early 6's. if not pushing 5's with carbon tubs and carbon cockpit.

I have MANY physical injuries, from active military service, so please allow me the headset spacers, soft bar tape and some easy gears :thumbup:

Specs:
Emonda SLR 2018 frameset (56cm, H2) Off-the-shelf frameset.
Ultegra R8050 Groupset: 172.5mm cranks, 50/34, 11-30, custom internal frame and bar wiring, internal D-Fly (W111),
Fulcrum Quattro Carbon wheelset,
GP4000SII 28mm tyres,
Bontrager Montrose Pro titanium saddle,
Bontrager Pro 100mm stem,
Bontrager RL Aero bars (44mm)
Bontrager supertack bar tape
Bontrager RL cages
Ultegra 6800 pedals (not broken, dont fix it!)

Tyre clearance is 4mm each side, 5mm top. Tyres are monster-truck big at 31mm. The Emonda swallows them up.

(and before anyone asks, I built this myself, and I'm happy to pass on build tips for the Di2 wiring to anyone)

Image


What kind of plug is this? Do they come with the bartape? Looks pretty cool.


It’s the Di2 Shimano junction box A, which is internal in the bar-end. All wires run inside the bars. The bar tape wrap is entirely my own custom job.


Thanks man, I had no idea. You have a beautiful bike. Enjoy riding it!

Also good job on the bar tape wrap, it looks very very clean.

ClydesdaleChris
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 8:53 am

by ClydesdaleChris

DCcyclist wrote:
Thanks man, I had no idea. You have a beautiful bike. Enjoy riding it!

Also good job on the bar tape wrap, it looks very very clean.


:shhhh It’s actually some take-off (that wasn’t that old) from the old bike, I used to set the bike up. When it dies I’ll do a full wrap with new stuff.
BandiCoote

Eddy Merckx Roubaix70 custom build
Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

treefam
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:31 am

by treefam

Where did you have the handlebar wiring enter the frame to get down to junction b? I see your downtube entry is not cut out. Did you have it enter with one of your brake cables? If so, are you able to provide an upclose pic? Thank you. Great looking build!

ClydesdaleChris
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 8:53 am

by ClydesdaleChris

treefam wrote:Where did you have the handlebar wiring enter the frame to get down to junction b? I see your downtube entry is not cut out. Did you have it enter with one of your brake cables? If so, are you able to provide an upclose pic? Thank you. Great looking build!


I’ll take another pic but the 2018 SLR comes with two cable stops for the rear brake cable entry into the top tube. One has a cut-out for the Di2 wire. You can see it in the 8th pic down on the first page of this thread taken from the left side. There is no Di2 specific downtube cable port. I just took it to the next level and heat-shrink the wire to the brake cable fully.
BandiCoote

Eddy Merckx Roubaix70 custom build
Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post