Life after aero

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jdc5r

by jdc5r

Having owned my M9 for nearly 2 years and riding it exclusively, i felt it was time to try something different. The M9 was an instant choice. I knew i was going to own one when they were first released and i put in my order promptly. The only thing that took time was deciding on the project one scheme. Where does one go from here?

I decided to go for the polar opposite to what my M9 is. Lighter, no focus on aero and maybe more of a focus on climbing. I considered the Emonda as the logical choice but after doing some quick calculations realised that the "System" weight is perhaps not as light as it seems due to the seatmast design and also non BB30 limiting crankset choices (although this wasn't that important at the end of the day). I considered speedvagens/baum/mosaic/field/F10 but at the end of the day decided on the venerable Supersix Evo. No one has ever said a Supersix evo rides like crap and i figured that the outlay is mostly on the parts in this regard and those items are transferrable.

This is the best paint for me, i noticed it on the Cannondale catalogue long before i even decided to get one . It is a heavy paintjob though. Really heavy. Really clearcoated and you can see it. If you felt like custom painting it you could easily shave off some serious grams and also retain the chrome logos.

I didn't manage to get a photo of the frame on the scale but it was 770g with all hardware removed (clamp, hanger, bolts, etc). Fork weighs 298g uncut. Size is 48cm. Quite a bit heavier than the team scheme that was previously posted that was one of the only 48cm's i could find on this site.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jdc5r

by jdc5r

Evo package is really good value for a top tier road race frameset. Firstly it comes with a seatpost already which saves money and then it also comes with the BB. It also comes with a "flush" fitting style headset cap which saved me from getting something from slamthatstem. Finally it comes with the nicely weightweeniesque compression fork bung which weighs only 16g with the cap. Little things which everyone can appreciate and things that save grams here and there.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

I gotta ask: why? did you get bored or is it something about the Madone?

as someone who sticks to things - provided they work - I can't see any reason for a bike change unless it's an upgrade. I'm currently playing with h1 and h2 geos to order a Madone myself which I view as an ultimate bike, and I haven't really heard here on WW any bit of complaining (not that I was looking that hard - confirmation bias and all.. :mrgreen: )
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

bilwit

by bilwit

tymon_tm wrote:I gotta ask: why? did you get bored or is it something about the Madone?

as someone who sticks to things - provided they work - I can't see any reason for a bike change unless it's an upgrade. I'm currently playing with h1 and h2 geos to order a Madone myself which I view as an ultimate bike, and I haven't really heard here on WW any bit of complaining (not that I was looking that hard - confirmation bias and all.. :mrgreen: )

I assume he just wanted an alternative in the stable, we all could use a couple :wink:

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Hell yeah!

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

That Madone colour combo was one of my favourites. This should be a great build too

Seedster

by Seedster

The madone was special. I like the cannondale, but they seem so common and suprisingly heavy given its fairly standard tubing and geometry.

Good luck with the build. Ride what makes you happiest!

jdc5r

by jdc5r

Yup, i felt like experiencing something different. I will have the Madone 9 though unparted and archived so that i can ride it at any time if i feel like it.

I made the decision to have a focus on lightweight but not enough to compromise on reliability and function. For instance i could have easily saved 200g or so on the chainset but instead chose a quarq dzero PM instead. Could have gone with Aican cabling but since i hate maintaining brake cables and love hosing down my bikes i am going with a non link cable system instead.

I have a set of Meilenstein's shod with turbo cottons but to be honest i probably wont be using this wheelset for the majority of times. I will be building up a set of new Mavic open pro's with tune mig/mag and cx-ray spokes. Should finish off around 1300-1350 and be a great set of daily wheels. I will probably run GP4000's again even though i do like tan wall on black frames from time to time.

oldturd

by oldturd

looking forward to seeing the final product! any goals for final weight?

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Why not 165? :'(

jdc5r

by jdc5r

oldturd wrote:looking forward to seeing the final product! any goals for final weight?

Think it would be 5.8ish with lightweights and 5.9ish with the open pro's.

jdc5r

by jdc5r

dudemanppl wrote:Why not 165? :'(

I actually had and still have a set of sisl2 165mm with stages. I went to 170mm along with changes to qring and also compacts but straight after that i felt pretty good. Not sure now what it is or whether it is placebo or whatever. One thing for sure. Selling 170mm cranks are a helluva lot easier.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

I'll be here to buy your 165 cranks. :)

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

You’ll love it. After 20+ bikes my Evo on Lightweights is the best all around bike I’ve likely ever owned.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Interesting insight on the "system weight" of the Emonda. Thx for sharing.

I like your choice of stem and seat post - I've got both on my bike with zero complaints.

Now, can we talk about your saddle choice? You can save ~75g with either Berk's Lupina or AX's Leaf. Both get rave reviews.

Keep the pics coming! Looking forward to seeing your new ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com