2017 Supersix EVO Hi-Mod Disc (6.395kg)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

DOUG

by DOUG

Hey @Gearjunkie thanks, the colour is not to everyones taste for some reason but when I first saw it I had to have it. Took some waiting too as they didnt have a frame in my size in Australia so had to wait for it to be imported.

Regarding the axle it took a bit of hunting as there are not too many options for the 125mm and 1.5mm thread pitch combo Cannondale selected for the SS HiMod fork. This should be the same as the one I used in the build:

http://www.carbon-ti.com/products/axles ... 2-road-125

Been really happy with the Carbon Ti thru Axle and rear skewer thus far. No creaks, nice clamping force from the skewer and really light weight on both counts of course. Makes me want to buy more Carbon-Ti stuff just because! Maybe a seatpost collar will be on the cards next time i decide to order from R2.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Brill, thanks Doug! :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DOUG

by DOUG

Ok so I finally got around to updating a few things:

- Slammed stem and cut steerer
- Fitted KCNC rotors
- Fitted Ti Look Keo's from my other bike

Overall weight saving was about 160g. Took it out this afternoon for a quick spin, and the rotor's seem to be pretty good. Havent had a chance to take them down any long or steep decents but will try and give it a proper hit out next week. Will probably take a few rides to bed in properly.

Ive been trying out the new riding position for a while and I cant beleive I didnt try it out earlier. I find it much more aero and only marginally less comfortable than previous, I guess I was concerned about getting a sore back as Ive had issues with this in the past due to injury but I have been doing a lot more stretching of late and this seems to ahve resolved it. Im also experimenting with a very slight amount of tilt on the saddle which so far Ive been happy with. I tend to sit on the front half of the saddle anyway so I actually find this is a bit more comfortable and gives me something to push against when im on the rivet, well at least in my head it does anyway!

Still undecided about whether to go to the MCFK seatpost at this point. Sure it would look better and save 40g or so but I'm concerned the ride quality would suffer compared to the SAVE seatpost. It really is an excellent bit of kit for the money and the weight is pretty good as well at 165g. I guess I should just buy the MCFK and give it a go, can always sell it to another Weight Weenie if I dont like it.

Anyway enough waffling. Current total weight as pictured = 6.395kg

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Nice, now our bikes are the same weight. Any plans for further weight reduction? Also, that blur failure in third photo :D

DOUG

by DOUG

Haha yeah I know, took them on my phone and it kinda freaked out a bit.

Further weight reduction will be:

- MCKF Seatpost
- Extralite Hyperstem
- Smolke or MCFK Bars, maybe.

That should get it down around the 6.25kg mark. Going sub 6kg would require tubs and some paint work plus maybe some light tuning and I'm not particularly keen on either to be honest.

Will post an update once Ive put some decent kms on the KCNC rotors. Oh and I'll try and get my hands on the MCFK post in the next couple of weeks as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

Lightweight rotors and 6 bolts mounting it's a bet... I was with this config and it get terribly hot, even on short steep run, at the point I'm wondering about the effect on the hub and caliper oil. Now with centerlock hub and Ice tech Rotor (with PM Sram caliper, no problem).

A guy did the math* about energy to stop a mtb compared to a road bike: it's exaclty twice for the road bike due to speed. And we have the smallest disc available, it's in complete contradiction with the facts.

*finded:
From 36kmh to 0kmh, energy to dissipate: 5000J (rider + bike 100kg)
From 54kmh to 0kmh, energy to dissipate: 10125J (rider + lighter road bike and rider, total 90kg)
http://veloptimal.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 10#p932326

garjo

by garjo

What a beauty it is!
My 4,93 kg Supersix Evo HM: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137647&start=30

My 6,22 kg Cannondale R500 1996: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134364

DOUG

by DOUG

Not sure about all that but I do only weight 63kg. The SRAM rotors are 6 bolt on an aluminium carrier as well and the thickness of the rotor is basically the same, never had an issue with performance. I'd say the weight saving on the KCNC is going to be mostly on the carrier and maybe a small amount of material removed from the rotor via additionally cutouts. If anything that should help heat dissapation but might reduce overall braking power/feel.

Anyway the proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say.

DOUG

by DOUG

So having spent a couple of weeks on the KCNC rotors I think Ill go back to the SRAM Centreline ones. Braking power doesnt seem to be dimished but the feel and progressivness of the SRAM rotors was much better. They also make quite a racket when braking, particualrly at lower speeds. IMO its due to the shape and positioning of the cutouts as well as the reduced braking surface. I bedded the rotors in properly so no issues with squealing or shuddering, they just make this awful mettalic grinding noise.

Its a bit of a shame but I should remain under 6.5kg so not too much harm done, maybe Ill get my act together ande order those MCFK components in the next couple of weeks :D

As for the new position its definitely an improvement (which is lucky because I already cut the steerer!). 4 hours of riding in the hills and no back pain, much more aero plus the Supersix really does look great with a slammed stem which counts for plenty in my books! Still not 100% sold on the saddle tilt, might put it back level for a couple of weeks just for a back to back comparison.

DOUG

by DOUG

Swapped out the KCNC rotors for the SRAM centreline rotors that we're on there originally and it's back to braking perfection. Excellent modulation, no shuddering, really quiet. I've never really like any SRAM brakes on any of the bikes I've owned in the past (especially disc) but the Red HRD brakes really are a fantastic bit of gear.

Gained a small amount of weight as expected, up to 6.465kg but much happier with the braking performance which makes the whole ride a lot more enjoyable.

ducman

by ducman

Great bike!

MAJ

by MAJ

I have bought a SS HM disc frameset on bike24 this week, and I will start to build my own bike after some time trying to buy a disc brake road bike....

I'm searching firstly for the PF30a bottom bracket.

What do you recomend me good and light?

I think my 2018 frameset is different from yours, this have PF30A, and your model I think uses PF30.

DOUG

by DOUG

All HiMod's after 2016 use the PF30A. I just used the standard BB that came with the frameset TBH. The standard cups were aluminium so maybe not the lightest but it hasn't creaked at all and the FSA bearings it came with are still in perfect condition after 5000km.

I probably should update the build list because it definitely isn't BB30.

MAJ

by MAJ

DOUG wrote:All HiMod's after 2016 use the PF30A. I just used the standard BB that came with the frameset TBH. The standard cups were aluminium so maybe not the lightest but it hasn't creaked at all and the FSA bearings it came with are still in perfect condition after 5000km.

I probably should update the build list because it definitely isn't BB30.

I'll receive the frame next week but I think the frame come without any bottom bracket and with any cups.

MAJ

by MAJ

I have already finished my SS EVO disc, with ultegra di2 and 38mm carbon wheels

Final weight with Garmin support, pedals and two bottle cages 6950gr.

I can save weight in some components like seat post, crankset,... but I'm very satisfied with the result.

One question...what about rear quick release??? What do you recommend me? I'm using an old titanium Kcnc in blue colour from my old bike, but I have to change it and I don't know what is the best for this bike, light but reliable!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com