BMC Teammachine SLR01 (2018) 5.94kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Congrats on getting it down to sub 6kg! This has to be the lightest current generation SLR01 on WW. :thumbup:

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the saddle, considering one myself. Stunning bike and great weight!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Stunning bike with a nice bar/stem combo. What's it about the stem/bar combo ? Is it really that the reach is about 2cm longer than most compact bars ? Is the reach really 100mm. The reach of my Deda Superzero is 75mm so I need a 2.5 cm shorter stem length. I saw you bought the Trek combo with a 1cm shorter stem than the extralite you had, while the reach is 2.1cm longer on the handlebar.
Last edited by PinaRene on Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kgt

by kgt

Glad to see the ww spirit is still alive!

bilwit

by bilwit

Klaster_1 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:49 am
- Berk Lupina (Padded) 93g
+ Alpitude Gardena 65g
How do you like new saddle compared to Lupina? Was your Lupina as far back too? Does the Gardena has the same amount of fore/aft adjustment range? After I had to replace my broken round rails 65g Lupina with a 80g oval-railed one, a lighter, durable enough saddle become a consideration.
burglarboycie wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:44 am
I'd love to hear your thoughts on the saddle, considering one myself. Stunning bike and great weight!
The Gardena has slightly more fore and a lot more aft adjustment. I currently have it positioned with the same center as I had the Lupina, being pushed back to help offset the zero-offset Darimo seatpost :lol: From a birds-eye view from the top, their profiles line up quite perfectly except the Berk of course has a longer nose and slightly more extended back. I also did not have to adjust the seatpost height at all.

I've put 66 hours on it so far, but only an hour of that outdoors, so it's hard for me to comment on and on top of that I'm not very particular about saddle fit. I will say that because of the more pronounced curvature than the nearly pan flat Berk (which I still have on my BMC Roadmachine), I feel more planted and fixed in one position. On the Berk I find myself making adjustments to how I'm sitting on it from time to time over the course of a ride, which IMO is not necessarily a bad thing. This is my first no-cover/raw carbon saddle and I'm pleasantly surprised to find that it's no big deal to have no padding. The only things I can think of that are a drawbacks for a raw carbon saddle versus a padded one are that you would probably actualize and feel the difference on rough roads with high frequency bumps like gravel and it's less likely to come out of a crash unscathed whereas even a lightly padded cover offers some protection.
iamraymond wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:37 am
Congrats on getting it down to sub 6kg! This has to be the lightest current generation SLR01 on WW. :thumbup:
It's increasingly looking like the last "modern" rim brake generation from the big brands as well, which I think I'm probably more relieved than dissappointed about since then I wouldn't be tempted to upgrade :beerchug:

The Teammachine is not the best or most optimal WW platform especially with the white paint but aesthetically it checks all the boxes for me. When I picked up the barstem from the LBS they were surprised about the weight because it doesn't look it, which I kind of like the appeal of.
PinaRene wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:22 am
Stunning bike with a nice bar/stem combo. What's it about the stem/bar combo ? Is it really that the reach is about 2cm longer than most compact bars ? Is the reach really 100mm. The reach of my Deda Superzero is 75mm so I need a 2.5 cm shorter stem length. I saw you bought the Trek combo with a 1cm shorter stem than the extralite you had, while the reach is 2.1cm longer on the handlebar.
For me the reach works out to be just about the same (+1mm longer) except a whopping +17mm higher due to the more slack angle (-7° vs -12°). Practically this just makes my elbows bent more so it's probably a more positive change. The tops are not as fat as the ENVE and going from obnoxiously flared from the hoods to the drops to zero flare on the Bontrager will take some getting used to, as will it being 3mm wider at the hoods which is also noticeable.

Ypuh

by Ypuh

I really like your BMC and amazed at how light you were able to get it. Also thanks for your insight to the new parts you give and their real world use. I'm planning some of the purchases you made, but first and foremost for me is real world usage (aiming for 500h this year). As my next upgrades I'm considering the eeBrakes (simply because I like the way they look), Berk Lupina unpadded saddle (weight and they actually seem to be comfortable as well) and CarbonTi chain rings (looks and weight).

If these parts aren't suited for 5h rides or only hold up for 1.5y, then they're not worth it in my opinion.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

bilwit

by bilwit

Ypuh wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:25 am
I really like your BMC and amazed at how light you were able to get it. Also thanks for your insight to the new parts you give and their real world use. I'm planning some of the purchases you made, but first and foremost for me is real world usage (aiming for 500h this year). As my next upgrades I'm considering the eeBrakes (simply because I like the way they look), Berk Lupina unpadded saddle (weight and they actually seem to be comfortable as well) and CarbonTi chain rings (looks and weight).

If these parts aren't suited for 5h rides or only hold up for 1.5y, then they're not worth it in my opinion.
I can't speak for the regular eeBrakes or past iterations of them for that matter, but I would 100% vouch for direct mount eeBrakes which to me, are as good as Dura Ace--not to say that they are 1:1, but each have a different feel and style that they execute beautifully, except one is half the weight. As with any rim brake solution, finding the right pad and rim combination is key as well. On the durability side of things, I've never had an issue. I've seen some people on this forum with the spring looking like it's about to pop off, but it's easily replaceable if you have the part. Never happened to me but it's something I keep in mind to check every now and then.

The Carbon-Ti rings I couldn't really get on with. They shifted like garbage in comparison to Praxis and I didn't want to take too much time fiddling with the FD to get it just right. I also took a month off the bike and lost like 35w so I've since put a compact (Praxis) on there instead to help me back on my feet while tackling some climbs. I imagine going forward using 52/36 Praxis as the mainstay and saving the Carbon-Ti rings for a special occasion race or PR snipe when I'm fit again. The 50/34 Praxis is only 10g more than the 53/36 Carbon-Ti combo.

Ypuh

by Ypuh

Thanks again.

Out of the 3 (Berk, ee's and CarbonTi's) the rings are lowest on my list. €380 is serious money for less than SRAM performance. Also my current rings are far from worn (1.5y/12.000km in and they're in perfect condition). Can probably ride 1-2 more seasons and then take another look to what's on the market.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

Sapateira

by Sapateira

The BMC its really great! How many km's already do the wheels? They are even good?I have some interest in wheels from light Bicycles.

Thanks

bilwit

by bilwit

Sapateira wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:02 pm
The BMC its really great! How many km's already do the wheels? They are even good?I have some interest in wheels from light Bicycles.

Thanks
For the tubulars which I got only this year just as the pandemic hit, I only have a bit under 400km for the 45mms and under 200km for the 65mms (outdoor kms). I've been using various clinchers both rim and disc brake from light-bicycle throughout the last three years (roughly ~26,000kms across five sets). Sure, you could go lighter along with more boutique (Extralite) hubs, or cheaper (Farsports), but for the customization/reputability/pricepoint, I am comfortable with light-bicycle laced to well known, reputable hubs.

Sapateira

by Sapateira

bilwit wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:54 am
Sapateira wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:02 pm

Thanks
For the tubulars which I got only this year just as the pandemic hit, I only have a bit under 400km for the 45mms and under 200km for the 65mms (outdoor kms). I've been using various clinchers both rim and disc brake from light-bicycle throughout the last three years (roughly ~26,000kms across five sets). Sure, you could go lighter along with more boutique (Extralite) hubs, or cheaper (Farsports), but for the customization/reputability/pricepoint, I am comfortable with light-bicycle laced to well known, reputable hubs.
Thanks for your feed back. In my view a good think from light Bicycles its we can choose good hubs. But the rims only with some feedback.

Regards

duckit

by duckit

bilwit wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:17 am

Quick pic off my balcony after installing new parts

- CBear PF4130 54g
- ROTOR 3D+ 170mm power2max NGEco 590g
+ Kogel BB86 DUB 60g
+ Quarq DZero 170mm DUB 464g

with the Wahoo + 1x Bottle cage we're now down to 6.030kg. I have a carbon battery housing for the Quarq and an Alpitude Gardena saddle on the way which should be the final bits depending on how the new Bontrager XXX barstem shapes up to be. Also planning to take the clearcoat + logos off the Quarq for looks at some point
great build !
can i ask if those LB 45mm wheelsets are in UD gloss or UD matte finish ?

bilwit

by bilwit

duckit wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:33 pm
great build !
they are "satin" finish which I had to ask for

duckit

by duckit

bilwit wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:29 pm
duckit wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:33 pm
great build !
they are "satin" finish which I had to ask for
Thank you !
Dropped you an email !

shuttlenote

by shuttlenote

bilwit, you mind taking some photos of the EE brakes directly from the rear. Would appreciate how you set up the EE's and cabling associated with it.

Cheers on an amazing build.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com