BMC Teammachine SLR01 (2018) 5.94kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

oldturd

by oldturd

wow, i'm really loving this build! will have to forward this thread to my bud who has a BMC teammeachine as well for some inspiration :)

bilwit

by bilwit

6.89kg as pictured with the Contis, Vittoria Latex tubes, Veloplugs, and View-Speed skewers.

RoadMachine updated here:
https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 5#p1443191

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zorka

by Zorka

Flawless machine!

theDmitry

by theDmitry

lovely!

bilwit

by bilwit

iamraymond wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:34 pm
Looks great with all the changes, especially the move to Di2. Did you get the seat post clamp sorted out?
This thing is really pissing me off. Extremely frustrating to have a $3k+ frame with such a piece of shit design issue like this. I can insert it into the wedge, insert the seatpost, but when I tightened the bolt up to torque, the bolt pushes it right out of the wedge. So stupid. They already have a perfectly functional, simple, and elegant design for this in the Roadmachine so why not just use the same?

I think I'll just lather the bottom in canvas sealant and place it on to dry and call it a day. There's no way in hell these "revised" covers are going to stay on. At best I can get it "attached" about half a milimeter into the wedge with everything installed.

bilwit

by bilwit

• KMC X11SL Gold Chain
  • Cane Creek Direct Mount G4 eeBrakes
  • Light Bicycle R35/R45 (grooved brake track, Industry Nine Torch hubs), Continental Race Light Tubes, BDop Steel cassette

TOTAL WEIGHT (including x1 bottle cage, mount, headunit, pedals): 6.54kg

Made a few tweaks.

The 55/65mm rims felt a bit silly for regular, chill riding so I decided to get a second set, 35/45mm with their new grooved brake track (with little slits like Campy AC3). Don't ever plan on taking them out in the rain if I can help it but so far they seem just like any other rim brake, but with a slight hum when braking. I've been holding out on EE brakes for a while because I heard you sacrifice the raw power of Dura Ace for better modulation and now that I've made the jump, I have to say that this is the truth, somewhat. There is definitely better modulation, probably because it's a bit easier to dial in the exact feel you want when you install the things, but they never leave me wanting for more braking power. What is noticeable is the lack of that initial bite that Dura Ace has, but to me that's just part of the improved modulation. You either like how that feels or not.

The EE brakes also solved all my clearance problems, not because they open any wider than Dura Ace, but because the way they are mounted makes them sit out further from the frame, thus giving the brake shoes more room to open without hitting the fork or the seat stays. I'm pretty confident that I can comfortably clear 28mm rims now, which is tempting.

Now that I'm regularly switching between my Roadmachine and this depending on the weather, it's hard to describe the difference in dry conditions. Discs have great modulation like EE but also the initial bite of Dura Ace (especially on the front) if that makes any sense. If I only went out in nice weather, I don't think I'd ever need discs. Only exception is for fast, technical descents especially on open roads where sometimes you need to be on the brakes with cars in front of you. However, even then I would be perfectly confident in an alloy brake track, but who likes to be seen riding those these days :wink:

Weight is 6.48kg without the Wahoo (60g), so pretty pleased with that. At this point the only changes I'd like to do is update the brifters to 9100 because of the slight improvement in shape/ergonomics and tactile clickyness. Maybe 52/36 Praxis chainrings as well which will shed weight too, but I quite like the look of the aero ROTORs for now.

karw88

by karw88

You were using ICAN wheels?

How's the switch to Light Bicycle? Any difference?

bilwit

by bilwit

karw88 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:53 pm

Yes I had a set cheap set of ICAN/IMUST wheels with Novatecs but I got rid of them. Personally I would never go back to cheap generic full built wheels like ICAN (or even FLO or Boyd) because, while they do the job perfectly fine, the value is actually not that great. With LB, I can choose to customize the texture, finish, hubs, spokes, nipples, even the brake track for 1000USD including shipping while even having the option of getting them built in North America.

For these type of wheels, you're basically paying the cost of the hubs plus a few hundred for the rims, so in the case of ICAN & co, you're paying for super cheap hubs and super cheap rims and the rest of the cost is upmarked accordingly whereas with LB, you at least have the option of getting quality hubs like CK, industry nine, etc.

I actually just ordered my 4th set of LB wheels (to replace the 35mm/45mm clincher set for climbing/descending/special occassion). Tubular, 45/45mm, 20/24H, Satin UD finish, grooved brake track (yes, they do help in the wet), Sapim CX ray spokes, aluminum nipples, laced to carbon-ti hubs.

karw88

by karw88

bilwit wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:57 pm
karw88 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:53 pm

Yes I had a set cheap set of ICAN/IMUST wheels with Novatecs but I got rid of them. Personally I would never go back to cheap generic full built wheels like ICAN (or even FLO or Boyd) because, while they do the job perfectly fine, the value is actually not that great. With LB, I can choose to customize the texture, finish, hubs, spokes, nipples, even the brake track for 1000USD including shipping while even having the option of getting them built in North America.

For these type of wheels, you're basically paying the cost of the hubs plus a few hundred for the rims, so in the case of ICAN & co, you're paying for super cheap hubs and super cheap rims and the rest of the cost is upmarked accordingly whereas with LB, you at least have the option of getting quality hubs like CK, industry nine, etc.

I actually just ordered my 4th set of LB wheels (to replace the 35mm/45mm clincher set for climbing/descending/special occassion). Tubular, 45/45mm, 20/24H, Satin UD finish, grooved brake track (yes, they do help in the wet), Sapim CX ray spokes, aluminum nipples, laced to carbon-ti hubs.
Thanks a lot for the detailed sharing! Are the industry nine hubs available on special request? I went to customize a set on their site but the best I got was DT240. lol

I actually like your 35/45 clincher in the first picture. Are they smooth finish or UD Matt?
How are they in the crosswinds?

bilwit

by bilwit

EDIT: Might as well update this thread since it got bumped and I've made some moves since the last update. Been in the pits of a Pacific Northwest winter again so haven't taken this thing out in a while (reason for the crappy pic)

Changes
  • FD/RD/Brifters. DA9150 -30g
  • Seatpost. Darimo BMC SLR01 D-shaped seatpost Matte UD -90g
  • Computer Mount. Alptitude Stelvio v2 (Extralite Hyperstem) -10g
  • Chainrings. Praxis 52/36 -40g
  • RD Hangar. BMC direct mount hangar -10g
  • Bottlecages. Elite Vico Carbon
6.625kg as pictured/ready to ride (with 1x bottlecage, Wahoo Elmnt, Ultegra cassette). It's about ~6.45kg with the 35/45mm wheelset with the BDop cassette.

Practical Penalties
  • ENVE SES. Can't really imagine going back to round tops (especially for the trainer) so true WW options are not an option. Thought about the PRO Vibe Superlight handlebar (would save ~40g) over the but I think I'd hate that weird little narrow section in the drops and I've grown to love the flare&bend of the ENVE.
  • Lizardskins. Tried Deda Elementi Traforato bartape for a while which saved quite a bit from the Lizardskins but they were too plush and clunky for my liking (also hate to have the tops untaped).
  • ROTOR 3D+ with Power2Max. Been thinking about this one for a while since it's a boat anchor compared to stock DA+stages or similar but I hate being trapped with their 4-bolt standard. Related, the PF4130 BB only lasts about 5,000km for me, but the weight penalty balloons even more if I went with the ROTOR 3D24.
  • Ultegra cassette. Cheap, lasts long, doesn't bite into the freehub body like DA, shifts perfectly.
  • Velox rim tape. Stuff weighs a ton, but it's just so damn reliable. I tried tubeless tape (double wrapped) for a bit but for rim brake clinchers, the potential of the tape melting freaks me out. Same with veloplugs+a layer of tape. I figure for the deep section rims, I'm fine with the weight penalty. I have a 45/45mm tubular set in the post for when weight & braking matters to me.

karw88 wrote:
    Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:19 am
    Thanks a lot for the detailed sharing! Are the industry nine hubs available on special request? I went to customize a set on their site but the best I got was DT240. lol

I actually like your 35/45 clincher in the first picture. Are they smooth finish or UD Matt?
    I believe they have to be special request now since they merged the North America site (their NA distributor is the one that has I9 hubs available).

The 35/45 set is 3K Gloss. I'm maybe 140lbs at my absolute heaviest and I have had no problems with 35mm, 36mm, 38mm and 40mm rims and I go through some pretty exposed, gusty narrow sections regularly. I can still get tossed around when it's particularly bad but never to the point where I felt completely out of control. My 55/65mm set would definitely give me pause before the ride if I knew it would be windy.
Last edited by bilwit on Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:24 pm, edited 15 times in total.

karw88

by karw88

bilwit wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:35 am
karw88 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:19 am

I believe they have to be special request now since they merged the North America site (their NA distributor is the one that has I9 hubs available).

The 35/45 set is 3K Gloss. I'm maybe 140lbs at my absolute heaviest and I have had no problems with 35mm, 36mm, 38mm and 40mm rims and I go through some pretty exposed, gusty narrow sections regularly. I can still get tossed around when it's particularly bad but never to the point where I felt completely out of control. My 55/65mm set would definitely give me pause before the ride if I knew it would be windy.
That's great to know. I'm also lightweight. I guess I will give the 45mm U shaped a try with DT350. :)

SebParent

by SebParent

Hi Bilwit, I wanted to know what carbon wheels finish you used on your lightbicycle carbons wheels represented in the first picture.
I'm talking about the R45T wheelset with tan sidewalls tires.
Gloosy (UD, 12K, 3K) ?
Matte (UD, 12K, 3K) ?

Thanks
bilwit wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:56 pm
Updated 01/06/2020: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=147890&p=1539273#p1539273
BMC Teammachine SLR01 (2018)

[list]
[*]FRAMESET: BMC SLR01 (2018) Size 54, C-Bear PF4130 BB
[*]GROUPSET: DA9150, 52x36 Praxis, Rotor 3D+ 170mm w/ Power2Max NG Eco, KMC X11SL Gold Chain
[*]BRAKES: Cane Creek Direct Mount G4 eeBrakes
[*]WHEELSET 1: Light Bicycle R55/R65 (Industry Nine Torch hubs), Continental GP5000 23mm, Vittoria Latex Tubes, Velox 19mm tape, Ultegra 11-28 cassette
[*]WHEELSET 2 (pictured): Light Bicycle R45T (Carbon-Ti tubs, Veloflex Roubaix, BDop Steel 11-28 cassette
[*]STEM: Extralite Hyperstem -12° 120mm
[*]SADDLE: Berk Lupina (padded, oval rails), Darimo BMC SLR01 D-shape seatpost
[*]HANDLEBARS: ENVE Aero SES
[*]COCKPIT, etc: Extralite Ultrastar 3 (6g), KAPZ headcap, 5mm Cillos Spacer (1g), Alptitude Stelvio v2 (Extralite Hyperstem)
[*]QUICK RELEASE: J&L Ti Bolt-on
[*]FINISHING KIT: Elite Vico Carbon bottlecage, Alptitude carbon chain catcher, Jagwire Elite Link cabling, Lizardskin DSP v2 1.8mm black bar tape
[*]PEDALS: Speedplay Zero, Toronto Cycles Ti Spindles/Bowties [/list]

WEIGHTS (including x1 bottle cage, mount, headunit, pedals):
Wheelset #1: 6.625kg
Wheelset #2: 6.200kg

[list]
[*]FRAMESET: BMC SLR01 (2018) Size 54, integrated fork/seatpost/headset, C-Bear PF4130 BB
[*]GROUPSET: DA9070, 53x36 Rotor 3D+ 170mm w/ Power2Max NG Eco, KMC X11SL Gold Chain
[*]BRAKES: Cane Creek Direct Mount G4 eeBrakes
[*]WHEELSET 1: Light Bicycle R35/R45 (grooved brake track, Industry Nine Torch hubs), Continental GP4000SII 23mm, Continental Race Light Tubes, BDop Steel cassette
[*]SADDLE: Berk Lupina (padded, oval rails)
[*]COCKPIT, etc: Extralite Ultrastar 3 (6g), KAPZ headcap, 5mm Cillos Spacer (1g), Raceware Wahoo Elemnt ENVE Aero Bar Mount
[*]QUICK RELEASE: J&L Ti Bolt-on
[*]FINISHING KIT: Elite Custom Race bottlecage, Alptitude carbon chain catcher, Jagwire Elite Link cabling, Lizardskin DSP 1.8mm black bar tape

TOTAL WEIGHT (including x1 bottle cage, mount, headunit, pedals): 6.54kg

[list]
[*]FRAMESET: BMC SLR01 (2018) Size 54, integrated fork/seatpost/headset, C-Bear PF4130 BB
[*]GROUPSET: DA9070, 53x36 Rotor 3D+ 170mm w/ Power2Max NG Eco
[*]WHEELSET: Light Bicycle R55/R65, Veloplugs, Continental GP4000SII 23mm, Vittoria Latex Tubes, CS-9000 cassette
[*]SADDLE: Berk Lupina (padded, oval rails)
[*]COCKPIT, etc: Extralite Ultrastar 3 (6g), KAPZ headcap, 5mm Cillos Spacer (1g), Raceware Wahoo Elemnt ENVE Aero Bar Mount
[*]QUICK RELEASE: View-Speed Series 4 Skewers
[*]FINISHING KIT: Elite Custom Race bottlecage, Alptitude carbon chain catcher, Jagwire Elite Link cabling, Lizardskin DSP 1.8mm black bar tape

TOTAL WEIGHT (including x1 bottle cage, mount, headunit, pedals): 6.89kg

[list]
[*]FRAMESET: BMC SLR01 (2018) Size 54, integrated fork/seatpost/headset, CeramicSpeed BB86 Shimano (Total: 1.62kg)
[*]GROUPSET: DA9000 mechanical, 170mm crankset, 52x36 Osymetric chainrings (169.4g), Stages power meter
[*]WHEELSET 1: FLO45, Veloplugs, Vittoria Corsa G+ 23mm/25mm, CS-9000 cassette (Front Total: 0.99kg, Rear Total: 1.33kg)
[*]WHEELSET 2 (pictured): IMUST 40mm, Continental GP4000SII 23mm, CS-9000 cassette, Velox rim tape, Mr Tuffy Ultra Lite tire liner
[*]STEM: Kalloy UNO -17D 110mm
[*]SADDLE: Fizik Arione R1 (145.00g)
[*]HANDLEBARS: Fizik Cyrano Chameleon 40cm (180.50g)
[*]COCKPIT, etc: Extralite Ultrastar 3 (6g), KAPZ headcap, 5mm Cillos Spacer (1g), Raceware Wahoo Elemnt Bar Mount (17g)
[*]QUICK RELEASE: Extralite Streeters (29g)
[*]FINISHING KIT: Elite Custom Race bottlecage, Osymetric chain catcher, Jagwire Elite Link cabling, Absoluteblack chainring bolt covers

TOTAL WEIGHT (including x1 bottle cage, mount, headunit, pedals): 6.72kg

US Roundel headcap, bar tape all the way to the stem, and Osymetric rings are nods to the king of cool (no, not Froome :x ). Didn't really make any particular WW choices outside of the expander plug, QR, and Speedplay mods so I'm content with sitting around the UCI limit.

bilwit

by bilwit

SebParent wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:35 pm
Hi Bilwit, I wanted to know what carbon wheels finish you used on your lightbicycle carbons wheels represented in the first picture.
Gloosy (UD, 12K, 3K) ?
Matte (UD, 12K, 3K) ?

Thanks

They call it "satin" UD which is basically a shiny/polished matte. I had to specifically ask them for it in the email correspondence

SebParent

by SebParent

bilwit wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:12 pm
SebParent wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:35 pm
Gloosy (UD, 12K, 3K) ?
Matte (UD, 12K, 3K) ?

Thanks

They call it "satin" UD which is basically a shiny/polished matte. I had to specifically ask them for it in the email correspondence
Thanks for the info, I'll try to ask the same finish because it really looks amazing !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Alex2012

by Alex2012

Stunning build.
How did you mount the di2 battery in the Darimo post?