SuperSix Evo Nano Black Inc. custom build 5.57kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

sussexhills

by sussexhills

Cannondale SuperSix EVO Nano Black Inc. 5.57kg/12.28lbs

I picked up the 2015 frameset/crankset package half price in the January 2016 sales and this has now been ridden for two seasons racing, TT’s, hill climbs, trips abroad to Ventoux and Majorca, club runs, long solo days in the saddle, and everything else in between. Finally settled on a build I’m happy with after a while changing a few things. Thought I’d put the bike up on here and introduce myself since acquiring a nearly sub-1kg wheelset which has helped push the weight well below 6kg, I also have a lighter freehub body with ceramicspeed bearings to fit which should push the wheels sub-1,000g.

This is not a serious weight weenie build and while all components are relatively high end/lightweight all finishing kit, both sets of wheels & groupset has been carefully purchased nearly new second hand on eBay to save money. I have also made no concessions on safety or durability and this bike is meant to be ridden hard without unnecessary maintenance or faff. Just after getting my 3rd cat license last year I got caught up in a high speed crash leading into the sprint and despite going over the handlebars with 5 other riders and sliding across the road the bike was thankfully unscathed. I have since built up a Canyon Ultimate for crits and wet weather races (6.8kg).

I’ve listed the build with my new tubular hillclimb wheelset, but have also listed the weight with my everyday wheelset of Zipp 303/404 combo on Tune hubs.

Frame: SuperSix EVO Nano Black Inc. 56cm 2015 - 706 grams
Fork: SuperSix EVO Nano 2015 (cut for conical +6mm of spacers) - 288
Headset: SuperSix EVO headset, Pro top cap, Deda expander bung, conical spacer + 6mm spacers - 128
Frame Hardware: Seatpost Collar 16g, Derailleur Hanger 10g, Bottle Cage Bolts 5g, BB Cable Guide 4g - 35
Bar: Syntace Racelite 2 44cm - 216
Stem: Syntace F109 31.8 100mm - 113
Seatpost: Syntace P6 Hiflex 27.2mm - 231
Saddle: Prologo Scratch 2 CPC Nack rails 134mm - 202
Bartape: Lizard Skins DSP Race + 5g plugs - 63
Shifters: Sram Red 10 speed black edition - 280
F. Derailleur: Sram Red 22 yaw (with chain guard) - 89
R. Derailleur: Sram Red 10 speed black edition - 145
Brakes: TRP R979 EQ (incl. hardware and Zipp cork pads) - 246
Cables/Housing: Shimano SP41 gear housing, SLR brake housing, eBay black PTFE inners - 135
Chain: SRAM Red 10 speed (trimmed) - 233
Cassette: Sram Red XG1090 11-28 - 153
Crankset: Cannondale SiSL2 172.5mm arms 261g, 53/39 Spidering 176g, axle 69g - 506
BB: Cannondale BB30 - 108
Wheelset: Roval Alpiniste SL tubular – 1007
Tub tape: Tufo tub tape x2 wheels – 61
Skewers: Cheap eBay jobbies - 42
Tyres: Veloflex Record 22mm (pair) - 382
Bottle Cage: Chinese BontragerXXX ripoffs – 36
Pedals: Speedplay Zero, upgraded with ebay Ti spindles, bowties and bolts – 168

5.57kg/12.28lbs

or 6.45kg/14.22lbs
with Zipp 303/404 combo. These are Firecrest clincher rims built onto Tune Mig/Mag hubs with Sapim CX-Ray spokes and alloy nipples. Fitted are Michelin Power Competition 23mm Tyres, Continental Race 28 tubes, SRAM Red XG1090 11-26 cassette, and Campagnolo Record skewers.

Apologies for the rubbish photos, I'll take some decent ones at some point and update this post. I'd be interested to hear what people think, and whether anyone has any recommendations on components to help make this any lighter while still remaining affordable and practical (I weigh 73kg).

Cheers

Last edited by sussexhills on Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Nixster

by Nixster

Nice bike!

Great score on the frame too.

Some suggestions on what's already a light machine, focusing on the finishing kit:
SLR Kit Carbonio Flow or Romin Evo S-works saddle will save you 70g (not cheap)
Hylix seat post will do the same or maybe more (fairly cheap)
Kalloy stem about 15g saving with Ti bolts (cheap)
3T Ergonova Team carbon bars will save 25-30g (not cheap although Chinese versions are, dentists not so much)
There are lighter skewers out there e.g. Carbon Ti say 5-10g saved (crazy money for the saving)
My tuned Speedplay Zeros are 150g which axles are you using? J&L might save you around 15g (fairly cheap)

Overall that's around 200g but other than the Kalloy stem none of those are cheap grammes. Stem then seatpost then saddle? P6 is a great post though! Or go for an integrated carbon post/saddle (looks like you're okay standing :D ) and save >200 grammes in one hit?

I guess the challenge is that you've sorted the big components and now it's grinding down on the details on what is already a light bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sussexhills

by sussexhills

Nixster wrote:My tuned Speedplay Zeros are 150g which axles are you using? J&L might save you around 15g (fairly cheap)

Overall that's around 200g but other than the Kalloy stem none of those are cheap grammes. Stem then seatpost then saddle? P6 is a great post though! Or go for an integrated carbon post/saddle (looks like you're okay standing :D ) and save >200 grammes in one hit?

I guess the challenge is that you've sorted the big components and now it's grinding down on the details on what is already a light bike.

Thanks Nixter, My Speedplay axles are heavier because I sourced extra long axles following a bike fit to obtain a wider Q-Factor.

I'll take a look at the Kalloy stem. I also like the idea of having an integrated seatpost/saddle for hillclimb season/KOM attacks that I can just switch over, do you have any suggestions?

sussexhills

by sussexhills

I've found an xcite seatpost for 120g made in germany for xc so should be more than strong enough for road. I just need a decent saddle recommendation now, was looking at the bare carbon Romin copies on eBay for £15 but I dread to think of the consequences of failure at the wrong moment so I'm not too inclined to try one.

Nixster

by Nixster

sussexhills wrote:I've found an xcite seatpost for 120g made in germany for xc so should be more than strong enough for road. I just need a decent saddle recommendation now, was looking at the bare carbon Romin copies on eBay for £15 but I dread to think of the consequences of failure at the wrong moment so I'm not too inclined to try one.

Indeed!
Romin Evo or Romin carbon come up on eBay a lot, they're about 165-170g and under £100 S/H but the Daddy is the Kit Carbonio at 130g, or Berk at <100g but no idea on cost of those.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yetiunio

by Yetiunio

Wow! I love this black matt! I think I really adore every Supersix topic, but everyone of them is worth it :D

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Really depends on your budget. Skewers are a reasonably cheap place to save some grams usually. Bolt on Tune skylines could shave 20g, more if you go for the aluminium ones. I see a big weight saving achievable on the brakes, but that won't be cheap! The stem suggestion is sound in terms of £/g. You could get a 6g seatpost clamp from Carbonice or Yuniper for about £25. The Tune cable outers in my build are cheap from ebay and superlight if you can accept the white!

C36

by C36

108g for the BB? Bearings use to be around 65 g, what did you included under BB? Even with screws I don't see reaching 108... just curious

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Last edited by C36 on Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

C36

by C36

4ibanez wrote:. You could get a 6g seatpost clamp from Carbonice or Yuniper for about £25.

Just asked carbonice for a 30mm ID clamp (custom size) and that's in the 60€ range with shipping.

The biggest gain I would see is on the seatpost, could save 80-90g, regularly see 27.2 mcfk or schmolke for not crazy prices.

The easiest gain probably on the bartape, reaching 40g is quite easy

sussexhills

by sussexhills

C36 wrote:108g for the BB? Bearings use to be around 65 g, what did you included under BB? Even with screws I don't see reaching 108... just curious

This lot

Minus this lot which didn't get used

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sussexhills

by sussexhills

C36 wrote:The biggest gain I would see is on the seatpost, could save 80-90g

I've just won an auction for a (made in Germany) 120g xcite post which saves over 100g, need a decent saddle now. The Berk Lupina looks so good but that price..
Last edited by sussexhills on Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

KCookie

by KCookie

Definitely a place to save weight. Try looking at AITA website. I bought this last week. Image

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

KCookie

by KCookie

Berk Lupina looks so good but that price..

You could always try one of his List saddles, they are alot cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

C36 wrote:
4ibanez wrote:. You could get a 6g seatpost clamp from Carbonice or Yuniper for about £25.

Just asked carbonice for a 30mm ID clamp (custom size) and that's in the 60€ range with shipping.

The biggest gain I would see is on the seatpost, could save 80-90g, regularly see 27.2 mcfk or schmolke for not crazy prices.

The easiest gain probably on the bartape, reaching 40g is quite easy

I thought the Eva 2.0 could be found in 30.0 diameter, but maybe not. I like the idea of a custom Eva for my ride. A lot of £ for a couple of g though! Smud do all the diameters but again expensive. Check out the Yuniper clamps, they do the clamps for Ax Vial Evos.

Get some Deda Traforato tape. Their end plugs are superlight too.